Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times

Advertisements

No one loves Atlanta more than me, but I am always disappointed by our annual nye tradition. Am I the only one? I feel that a city as big of Atlanta should have a more vibrant countdown. Why can't we have a peach that actually lights up? And instead of that tacky "2013" banner hanging from the bottom, have an actual digital display with an actually digital countdown? Where do the funds come from to support this annual tradition? I would love to be in the planning committee and maybe invest some more money into it....

Any thoughts? Or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
It would be cool, but the thing is most people tune in to the NYE NYC drop.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 PM

13 posts, read 38,765 times
This is my first year spending my new year in Atlanta. I went to see the peach drop and was pretty underwhelmed. I guess I don't really have much to compare it to considering I've never done anything similar for NYE though. I think it's definitely better than watching Kathy and Anderson covering the NYC drop on CNN.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Is it that a city as cool as Atlanta is most of the times associated with a somewhat rotund and gawky fruit such as a peach? I mean it should be something similar to the GaTech bee..cool looking, tenacious, industrious.. But a "peach" really does represent the rest of the state of GA..

Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
NYE sucks everywhere especially in Times Square. It looks pretty on tv but if you want to actually be in TS (Times Square) you have to be there by noon and you have to stand in the same spot for the next 12 hours. If you happen to have a restaurant on your block they probably will not let you in to use the restroom. If you leave the barricade to get something to eat they will not let you back in. Try getting there at 6pm and you will be about 10-15 blocks away from the action in TS. I think all NYE events unless you are at a house party or boat party/etc is overrated. It's not that the Peach Drop sucks, the point is that 90% of all NYE events that are outdoors suck. You are basically standing in Underground Atlanta for hours waiting for a peach to drop or waiting for whatever else to drop in any other city. I done TS three times in my younger days. You are basically just standing up waiting hours in the cold waiting for the ball to drop. The bad part is the countdown clock in front of you counting down. You are 15 blocks away from TS with a countdown clock in front of you telling you that you have 6 hours and 23 mins go to before New Years to stand in the cold

Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
^^^^^When u say it that way...I agree

Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
^^^^^When u say it that way...I agree

I mean it was fun them being around all those people but once I got back to my room I was like lol. Now If you have a hotel overlooking TS or the Peach Drop that might be cool because you will be in the comfort of your room. I have a friend that went to this club in TS and they let everybody go outside a few mins prior to the ball dropping and afterwards they let everybody back in. I can't call people stupid because I have done it several times but it is no way in hell that I would do it now.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Ajjam: Sell me on going to the Underground for NYE Tonygeorgia with my friends

Tonygeorgia: Well you can stand in the freezing cold weather for several hours in wonderful downtown Atlanta!

Ajjam: Ok…and?

Tonygeorgia: You know Ga is known for its peaches right? Well a huge peach at midnight will drop. The huge peach will have lights on it! Doesnt that sound fun? Plus we get to ride on Marta at wonderful 5 Points afterwards to get back home. Doesnt this sound wonderful?

Ajjam:

Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Lol, you're expecting it to be of quality like Times Square or something? Please...

Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
I had a great time with good friends. The area was completely safe, police everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta