Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Atlanta should create a similar market to the Buford Farmers Market somewhere right downtown.

??? Any thoughts ???
I don't know if we have the diversity to support something like this downtown. It hasn't been easy to even keep a regular supermarket open there.

If you want cultural diversity the suburbs are where it's at, and sometimes you have to travel a bit to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Favorite clip from the show:

Buford Highway Farmers Market: The Layover: Travel Channel

There's no single market like the Buford Highway Farmer's Market any where else on the planet. Period. You could just read the stunned amazement on Bourdain's face.
Honestly, he had more of a blase attitude towards it. Seemed like forced interest. But he is a jerk, so no surprise. Still like the guy though.

Agree with arjay, there is not nearly enough diversity to support that sort of market downtown. Just follow the restaurants. The market serves not only the population but restaurants as well. Last time I checked, I don't recall seeing a whole lot of tofu, dumplings, or korean bbq places intown.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
I think there is a misreading as to why Buford Highway exists the way it does with all of it's culinary amenities (and residential diversity) and why it doesn't exist further in town. It has to do with money. The amount it costs to rent a comparable to space to pretty much every establishment along Buford Highway in Downtown and (pretty much any place within five miles of it, save the south side) is exorbitantly high. Sure, several of the people running businesses in the afford to move there now, but since it's turned into a world upon itself its kind of no brainer to stay put.

This isn't just an Atlanta thing either (though the trajectory in Atlanta has followed the national trend), but pretty much how it is America now. If you go to NYC, you won't find all the interesting foreign food and recent immigrants in Manhattan. They're in Queens. This rings true for a lot of cities.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't know if we have the diversity to support something like this downtown. It hasn't been easy to even keep a regular supermarket open there.

If you want cultural diversity the suburbs are where it's at, and sometimes you have to travel a bit to get it.
Bourdain did go to a Buford farmers market alternative in downtown- the Sweet Auburn market.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Bourdain did go to a Buford farmers market alternative in downtown- the Sweet Auburn market.
Thanks, I forgot to mention that Downtown has a wet/farmer's market and a pretty renowned one like that. And, again, the Buford Highway Farmer's Market isn't just unique in Atlanta. There is literally no other place exactly like it I am familiar with in the entire country. It is due to the unique confluence, and lack of economic and residential segregation, amongst the immigrant population of the area. It's the epicenter of the immigrant hub of Northeast Atlanta, and I think we do a disservice to ourselves by incorrectly stating other cities have something similar to this in their "downtowns" (which they don't) and by not highlighting it more.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Downtown has a market, Sweet Auburn Curb Market. Not as big and doesn't have the food options, but it serves the area well.
Surprised he didn't visit the DeKalb Farmers Market.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,446 times
The whole episode is on demand if u missed it

Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM

I noticed in the intro that he said that there are two options to get from the Airport into town, both of which are not great. They then showed clips of MARTA and the interstate.

Really? We have a better connection to our CBDs and airport that NYC.

I really didn't care for his attitude in the show, well, the 10 mins of clips I saw so maybe I am being unfiar. He really seemed like he didn't want to be here, with that elitist chip on his shoulder.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I noticed in the intro that he said that there are two options to get from the Airport into town, both of which are not great. They then showed clips of MARTA and the interstate.

Really? We have a better connection to our CBDs and airport that NYC.

I really didn't care for his attitude in the show, well, the 10 mins of clips I saw so maybe I am being unfiar. He really seemed like he didn't want to be here, with that elitist chip on his shoulder.

I just watched the full episode.. He didnt appear that way at all.. If you have comcast cable the full episode is on demand

Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 AM

Ill have to check it out then. But he definitely made those rather ignorant comments about MARTA and had an enthusiasm level of 0 in the BHFM clip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta