Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 AM

492 posts, read 790,557 times

Advertisements

Manufacturers warrantees on powertrain etc are not scams. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 AM

329 posts, read 637,904 times
i personally don't like the salespeople at the Gravity Auto Group. They have several dealerships around the area.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM

651 posts, read 1,561,971 times
whats wrong with a nice American made car? (and folks wonder why unemployment is low)

Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
whats wrong with a nice American made car? (and folks wonder why unemployment is low)
Most Hondas, Toyotas, Kias, BMWs and Hyundais are made here in the US- by comparison, many of GM and Ford's cars are made in Mexico and Canada, so buying an "American car" isn't really guaranteeing that you're putting Americans to work, and buying a "foreign car" isn't putting people here out of work.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Whatever you do, don't fall for the extended warranties or prepaid service plans they try to push.

You should go in and buy a car. And a car only. No warranty, no service plan, no rust proofing, and no gap insurance. Those are all profit centers for the dealer that they try to push on suckers.

Make sure to go through this guide: Guide for First-Time New-Car Buyers
I had an extended warrrenty on a 2000 Passat that turned out to be worth every single penny. That car was always in the shop. When the warrenty went out, I got another car.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
My 94 Accord was made in Ohio. You might find this interesting:

10 Most American-Made Cars Of 2012 - TheStreet

The top five:

5. 2012 Honda Crosstour 

4. 2012 Honda Accord

3. 2012 Toyota Sienna

2. 2012 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana

1. 2012 Toyota Avalon

Can't tell by the name anymore.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Most Hondas, Toyotas, Kias, BMWs and Hyundais are made here in the US- by comparison, many of GM and Ford's cars are made in Mexico and Canada, so buying an "American car" isn't really guaranteeing that you're putting Americans to work, and buying a "foreign car" isn't putting people here out of work.
Indeed. I bought a Kia Sorento last year. Not only is it built in America, it's built right here in Georgia. That was one of the main reasons I chose it. It also is listed as having about 60% US-made parts. I thought that number was higher on the sticker, though. Either way, I may have gone with a foreign company, but I bought from a place that put people form my community to work.

I bought from Cobb County Kia, and I could not have been more pleased with my salesperson. He was laid back, and not overbearing at all (which I can't stand). And he stayed well after closing time while I dilly dallied on making a decision, never getting pushy or agitated. He almost seemed like the kind of guy you wanted to sit and have a beer with.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
They're all horrible.

A lot of people go the Carmax route. I have never bought a used car, so I don't know first hand, but I understand the prices are slightly higher than dealers but no hassle. The biggest problem I have heard is Carmax will ********* on the value of your trade in.
Pretty much all dealers will pull the Manheim auction numbers and offer the low range...including CarMax. The exception might be regional differences such as an AWD vehicle in the North or mountain areas or a convertible in the temperate regions. I went to CarMax, Volvo and Acura and all three hit the same number for my trade...straight from the Manheim sheet. Volvo offered to 'bump up' the offer since I was a loyal customer but it was still just a $1000 spread on a $25K vehicle.

I would look specifically for a vehicle coming off a +- 3 year lease. You might consider Acura in the mix, if they have a vehicle you desire. Some vehicles coming off a 3 year lease will have ~1 year of factory warranty left. CPO certification could be worth the extra money, depending on the vehicle and the length of time you'll keep it.

We were always happy with the Nalley group(now part of a HUGE dealer network), specifically Nalley Lexus and Nalley Volvo on 41 in Cobb.(Disclaimer...we always bought new; but our trades were the type of vehicle you are looking for...low mileage, dealer maintained, some warranty remaining )

Unless you find something out of the ordinary, I'd look at CarMax and then stick to the dealer for the specific marque you seek...(Had fifty-fifty experience with Sandy Springs Toyota...strictly the difference in salespeople). Get your financing up front, as mentioned, and don't let the F&I person sell you ANYthing

Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 17,532 times
We had a good experience buying a slightly used car at Honda Carland in Roswell, and while not Honda or Toyota, we have also had two very good used car buying experiences at Jim Tidwell Ford in Kennesaw. Both highly recommended in my book!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,132,633 times
To me all dealers are the same. I go into dealers with a if you cant match my price and ill leave attitude and its either they match it or they dont. The way i see it is, there is more than 1 of those model cars for sale and if they wont match your price (ASSUMING YOUR BEING REALISTIC) they dont really want to do business and someone else will at another dealership.

Carmax is a joke as there cars cost normally $2-3000 more than most dealerships and they give you $1-2000 less for your trade. A hassle free transaction should not cost $2-3000 and after the 30 day carmax warranty is up, it is a regular used car just like if you bought it at another dealership where you would have paid $2-3000 less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta