Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 01:18 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Clark yes, but not Morehouse. I've been critical of Morehouse in the past, but it is still, by far, better than GSU... even if most of that is due to an erroding reputation.
I can't believe I'm actually defending GSU. Morehouse is a joke. Nobody, NOBODY respects Morehouse outside of the less educated black community. Agreed with ant. Look at their admission standards. You think Morehouse is decent because of Morehouse school of medicine? That med school is unranked and has faced so many problems it's not even funny. Rumor was they were about to lose accreditation. It's the last resort school for pre-med students(mainly minorities). I use to work at Grady as a CNA and the nurses hated Morehouse medical students because they were so clueless. Morehouse is an unranked school. Morehouse is not comparable to GSU.

This is the definition of Morehouse
Why is the "Big Booty Hoe" Rapper Two Chainz Coming to Morehouse College?

GSU>Morehouse...not by much, but still >
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM

472 posts, read 809,575 times
I'm skeptical about Valdosta State alumni causing a ruckus about their university being regional. I can't think of any really prominent or USG-influential VSU alumni off the top of my head.

By definition, regional universities serve their region. The only reason Valdosta St and Georgia Southern are regional universities is because those two schools comprise the bigger higher education institutions for those residing in South Georgia. Remember, GRU(then MCG) didn't have half the campus, resources, programs or offerings they do now. They only just got undergraduate programs through this merger. I agree with the problems of regional universities. In this day and age, location doesn't mean a whole lot. A select few who want/need to stay close to home may consider it a substantial factor in college choice. Valdosta State seems to have faltered on its mission, but GA Southern is doing a much better job. I suspect GA Southern will ascend to research university next. KSU will take it's place in terms of applying students. I wouldn't have said this a few months back. If GA Southern can catch up to KSU in terms of enrollment I think we will see a shift. Their budget is about equal.

USG Institutions - University System of Georgia

As I've said many times before, our group on city-data do not think as regents. There's a lot we would like to see, but we have to face reality. The consolidations are a result of budget cuts and our bashful economy. Mergers arise from the need to cut costs. Another problem is that Georgia itself has far too many colleges and universities with duplicated programs on the same level. (i.e. GT's engineering is not comparable to UGA's engineering and less so Georgia Southern/SPSU's engineering - duplication in nursing is a big problem that's surprisingly saturating our nursing market in Georgia)

Consolidation efforts have been in part to curb the waste and excess. We consolidate ineffective schools that don't graduate students. This is an effort, I'm personally for. Actually, I hope we switch to job placement model. Public funding should be based on the % of graduates finding jobs. That is the new goal of higher ed.

There is no reason why Georgia should have 33 colleges and universities. We should have peer systems to look up to. I nominate North Carolina's system. I'm really impressed with them - not only with UNC and NCSU, but also the synergy with Duke, inside and outside athletics, and the relative success of the smaller universities such as ECU, App st. and the UNC system at large.

Using the raw population numbers, it doesn't take an MIT graduate to figure out something's wrong. We need fewer, better colleges and universities in Georgia. We excel on the research university level, but falter on every other level. Another thing I am very much for is retiring academia to the academes. Our university administrators need to take the unpopular hit to salaries. Now that the rascal Michael Adams is stepping down as UGA President, Jere Morehead's first order of business is to dismantle the bureaucratic nature of Adams's former cabinet. Fortunately, Morehead is probably the one person in the state who won't succumb to cheap political games. The first thing he announced was a 100k cut to his salary and an evaluation of efficiency of administrative tasks at University of Georgia. West Georgia's Behruz Sethna is also a model administrator. I'm sad to see his leave. Meanwhile, Georgia State's Mark Becker takes up a salary equal to Michael Adams despite the massive budget and class difference between the two institutions. I miss Carl Patton. That man was a true revolutionary. And GPC's Tricoli? Don't get me started on this nut. I also suspect foul play with GRU's Ricardo Azziz, but I don't have any proof to back it up. Just a hunch.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM

32 posts, read 47,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I can't believe I'm actually defending GSU. Morehouse is a joke. Nobody, NOBODY respects Morehouse outside of the less educated black community. Agreed with ant. Look at their admission standards. You think Morehouse is decent because of Morehouse school of medicine? That med school is unranked and has faced so many problems it's not even funny. Rumor was they were about to lose accreditation. It's the last resort school for pre-med students(mainly minorities). I use to work at Grady as a CNA and the nurses hated Morehouse medical students because they were so clueless. Morehouse is an unranked school. Morehouse is not comparable to GSU.

This is the definition of Morehouse
Why is the "Big Booty Hoe" Rapper Two Chainz Coming to Morehouse College?

GSU>Morehouse...not by much, but still >

It's one thing to say Morehouse is better then GSU, but to say 'far better'. GTcorndog must be very uninformed about the current Morehouse lol.

Far better would be Georgia Tech and UGA and we know Morehouse is 10 levels below these schools lolol.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
I'm skeptical about Valdosta State alumni causing a ruckus about their university being regional. I can't think of any really prominent or USG-influential VSU alumni off the top of my head.

By definition, regional universities serve their region. The only reason Valdosta St and Georgia Southern are regional universities is because those two schools comprise the bigger higher education institutions for those residing in South Georgia. Remember, GRU(then MCG) didn't have half the campus, resources, programs or offerings they do now. They only just got undergraduate programs through this merger. I agree with the problems of regional universities. In this day and age, location doesn't mean a whole lot. A select few who want/need to stay close to home may consider it a substantial factor in college choice. Valdosta State seems to have faltered on its mission, but GA Southern is doing a much better job. I suspect GA Southern will ascend to research university next. KSU will take it's place in terms of applying students. I wouldn't have said this a few months back. If GA Southern can catch up to KSU in terms of enrollment I think we will see a shift. Their budget is about equal.

USG Institutions - University System of Georgia

As I've said many times before, our group on city-data do not think as regents. There's a lot we would like to see, but we have to face reality. The consolidations are a result of budget cuts and our bashful economy. Mergers arise from the need to cut costs. Another problem is that Georgia itself has far too many colleges and universities with duplicated programs on the same level. (i.e. GT's engineering is not comparable to UGA's engineering and less so Georgia Southern/SPSU's engineering - duplication in nursing is a big problem that's surprisingly saturating our nursing market in Georgia)

Consolidation efforts have been in part to curb the waste and excess. We consolidate ineffective schools that don't graduate students. This is an effort, I'm personally for. Actually, I hope we switch to job placement model. Public funding should be based on the % of graduates finding jobs. That is the new goal of higher ed.

There is no reason why Georgia should have 33 colleges and universities. We should have peer systems to look up to. I nominate North Carolina's system. I'm really impressed with them - not only with UNC and NCSU, but also the synergy with Duke, inside and outside athletics, and the relative success of the smaller universities such as ECU, App st. and the UNC system at large.

Using the raw population numbers, it doesn't take an MIT graduate to figure out something's wrong. We need fewer, better colleges and universities in Georgia. We excel on the research university level, but falter on every other level. Another thing I am very much for is retiring academia to the academes. Our university administrators need to take the unpopular hit to salaries. Now that the rascal Michael Adams is stepping down as UGA President, Jere Morehead's first order of business is to dismantle the bureaucratic nature of Adams's former cabinet. Fortunately, Morehead is probably the one person in the state who won't succumb to cheap political games. The first thing he announced was a 100k cut to his salary and an evaluation of efficiency of administrative tasks at University of Georgia. West Georgia's Behruz Sethna is also a model administrator. I'm sad to see his leave. Meanwhile, Georgia State's Mark Becker takes up a salary equal to Michael Adams despite the massive budget and class difference between the two institutions. I miss Carl Patton. That man was a true revolutionary. And GPC's Tricoli? Don't get me started on this nut. I also suspect foul play with GRU's Ricardo Azziz, but I don't have any proof to back it up. Just a hunch.
I think they should adopt the California university system to be honest.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:07 PM

Regarding GSU,

Their admission standards have been more or less consistent over the past two decades. GSU's primary goal is to serve as an access school. It's in their strategic plan. My only concern is that GSU enrolled the largest student body EVER while also enrolling such low qualified students. The fact that almost every other colleges and universities in Georgia saw and increase in enrollment and increase in GPA/SAT averages is something to think about. This change, by the way, is statistically significant. I think GSU's image at large is beginning to change.

Graduate yield also took a hit. In 2011, GSU had 10,266 graduate applications(JD, PhDs - all of them), in 2012 9,989 applications. They recently extended deadlines of many graduate programs. Many faculty at GSU are also struggling to receive funding and grants. There was a recent layoff cycle November of 2012. I'm beginning to suspect something greater than a culture shift at GSU. When I get the application data on March 3rd I will post an update here.

Athletically, GSU would have been a good fit in what was the Big East. They should drop football all together and try to capitalize on basketball. Gift giving hasn't been affected by GSU football. Probably because the fanfare is all but gone. With nearly half of GSU students receiving Pell Grant, I don't think football will be missed.

Regarding race, I have heard from alumni that the school is now more minority majority so to speak than when they were students. There is a high representation of African American students, but there has been for sometime at least when compared to other research universities in Georgia; Emory, UGA, Georgia Tech and MCG(now with ASU things are different). GSU is definitely not an HBCU, but their atmosphere may give that impression. Ironically, UGA was the first to integrate, granted by only a year.

Kennesaw also has a very diverse campus.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1992 View Post
I think they should adopt the California university system to be honest.
California is a lot bigger than Georgia. Culturally, economically, ethnically, geographically, socially, politically very different. North Carolina is the best fit. California's UC system is incredible, but that system is financially in shambles. Also, many California public research Us no longer serve their state. They've become privatized much like UVA and Michigan.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Regarding GSU,

Their admission standards have been more or less consistent over the past two decades. GSU's primary goal is to serve as an access school. It's in their strategic plan. My only concern is that GSU enrolled the largest student body EVER while also enrolling such low qualified students. The fact that almost every other colleges and universities in Georgia saw and increase in enrollment and increase in GPA/SAT averages is something to think about. I think GSU's image at large is beginning to change.

Graduate yield also took a hit. In 2011, GSU had 10,266 graduate applications(JD, PhD all of them), in 2012 9,989. They recently extended deadlines of many graduate programs. Many faculty at GSU are also struggling to receive funding and grants. There was a recent layoff cycle November of 2012. I'm beginning to suspect something greater than a culture shift at GSU. When I get the application data on March 3rd I will post an update here.

Athletically, GSU would have been a good fit in what was the Big East. They should drop football all together and try to capitalize on basketball. Gift giving hasn't been affected by GSU football. Probably because the fanfare is all but gone. With nearly half of GSU students receiving Pell Grant, I don't think football will be missed.

Regarding race, I have heard from alumni that the school is now more minority majority so to speak than when they were students. There is a high representation of African American students, but there has been for sometime at least when compared to other research universities in Georgia; Emory, UGA, Georgia Tech and MCG(now with ASU things are different). GSU is definitely not an HBCU, but their atmosphere may give that impression. Ironically, UGA was the first to integrate, granted by only a year.

Kennesaw also has a very diverse campus.
Yup, it's like they are only admitting more students for more money. I'm taking an intro Accounting class atm for credits and I can bet you many of these freshman failed the first accounting midterm we just took. I wouldn't be surprised if the average exam score was lower then a 70 when she tells us Monday. I can tell this recent class is the least qualified. I found it easy and got a 93.

I thought GSU would be an up and comer for many many years, but it seems things are already beginning to shift in unfavorable territory. I just need to graduate and get the hell out of here before things completely collapse. Hopefully, it's doesn't before I get a job and start developing my work experience lol although since I'm a computer science major, I'm not particularly worried about finding a job after hearing the constant growth and new jobs in software development.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1992 View Post
Yup, it's like they are only admitting more students for more money. I'm taking an intro Accounting class atm for credits and I can bet you many of these freshman failed the first accounting midterm we just took. I wouldn't be surprised if the average exam score was lower then a 70 when she tells us Monday. I can tell this recent class is the least qualified. I found it easy and got a 93.

I thought GSU would be an up and comer for many many years, but it seems things are already beginning to shift in unfavorable territory. I just need to graduate and get the hell out of here before things completely collapse. Hopefully, it's doesn't before I get a job and start developing my work experience lol although since I'm a computer science major, I'm not particularly worried about finding a job after hearing the constant growth and new jobs in software development.
Amen. But the GSU up and coming is mostly PR from the school trying to trick students. It's the work of INCEPTors. I've been hearing a lot of about corruption in GSU administration too, but I don't have any proof either. Apparently Becker is really good at putting on a smiley face in front of students. Heard he's getting a bad rep among 1913 society..which is pretty much his lapdogs.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Graduate yield also took a hit. In 2011, GSU had 10,266 graduate applications(JD, PhDs - all of them), in 2012 9,989 applications. They recently extended deadlines of many graduate programs. Many faculty at GSU are also struggling to receive funding and grants. There was a recent layoff cycle November of 2012. I'm beginning to suspect something greater than a culture shift at GSU. When I get the application data on March 3rd I will post an update here.

Dang. Didn't know graduate applications are down too. I know about the funding problem for a while. A lot of GSU professors are also GSU grads..I bet that doesn't fare well in attracting grants. GSU is so good at playing up their false research image.

I don't agree about big east. I think we should have not jumped Sun Belt prematurely. We should have waited and then jumped for conference-USA. Too late now. All the money that could've been used to help GSU has been wasted on football. We had a chance in times of economic problems. We could have emerged better off than from 2008..we didn't.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM

I don't know why you mean by false research image. GSU is indeed a research university by USG distinction. GSU isn't Georgia Tech or University of Georgia, but they are still a research school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta