Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM

32 posts, read 47,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
That's retarded, but some people do that because classes are too hard and they lost HOPE. That happens with GT too. I only know one person who had that happen, but he was in class of 2013. Over the past few years UGA has really stepped up their campus experience. People who don't like partying have something else to do.

I don't understand how people can compare GSU to NYU or NYC to Atlanta. GSU is a 100 year okd third rate urban public school in the near slums of Atlanta situated on a 49 acre campus. NYU is a 182 year old first rate private university spreading across 229 acres in the center of Manhattan.

A better and more realistic goal would be U of Central Florida or University of South Florida.
Nobody is saying be exactly like NYu, but to take on their philosophy and model. If i remember correctly, they don't have sports programs right? Maybe it was just football. Have to look that up. Get rid of football, expand and RENOVATE the campus. When they get the money, rebuild the campus into high profile classrooms. GSU in a way looks like a dump. I know it's an urban campus, but really? Converting parking garages into classroom buildings LOL?

Now that I think about it, I would love to have attended NYU. It's everything I wanted GSU to be x10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
People go to GCSU and North Georgia because they're good schools with nice campuses and some prominent alumni. Didn't Sandra Deal go to GCSU? I haven't heard any dirt about either schools. SPSU attracts the engineering crowd who tend to be more academically incline. GA Southern will surpass GSU's GPA in a few years once the engineering kicks off and word gets out about GSU. GSU does a good job with hiding the bad. I don't know if KSU just got lucky beating GSU for the first time or if something is happening.

GSU just has a bad reputation. They need to change that. UGA banned tailgating on some parts of it's campus when things got out of hand a few years ago. GT poopoos stealing the T from the Tech tower. GSU with open arms welcomes weed and bad rappers into their library's courtyard and the students love it. GSU allows club shuttles to park in front of the housing when students can't even do that for more than 10 minutes. Cop cars everywhere, it still happens. No one cares. Crime is everywhere too. GSU housing is home to the new generation of drug dealers/DJs in Atlanta. Housing hosts fetish open forums and self-help programs you would usually find in inner-city middle schools for TV shows that replaces Opera. It's like teen moms all over the place. They even had a SCHOOL SPONSORED even about PWI vs HBCUs. Since many students here transfer from Morehouse and Clark..idk how that will go.

Drake

This song is hilarious. It's soo accurate it's not even funny. Even Drake and Weezy know about rachet GSU. By the way, this album was released November 15, 2011. That was before 2012's freshman body.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1992 View Post
Nobody is saying be exactly like NYu, but to take on their philosophy and model. If i remember correctly, they don't have sports programs right? Maybe it was just football. Have to look that up. Get rid of football, expand and RENOVATE the campus. When they get the money, rebuild the campus into high profile classrooms. GSU in a way looks like a dump. I know it's an urban campus, but really? Converting parking garages into classroom buildings LOL?

Now that I think about it, I would love to have attended NYU. It's everything I wanted GSU to be x10.
I thought that was UCLA? I agree. Also fix our contractors. Our housing looks like jail cells.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:13 PM

If the city of Atlanta wasn't so ghetto and actually respected nation wide, Georgia State would be a different place to be honest. Sadly, the environment around the campus and in Downtown Atlanta is just disgusting. If this same GSU school were in the middle of downtown Chicago or Manhattan, this GSU would be more highly coveted.

Once the city starts caring about their urban core, then GSU will rise in the rankings again. This requires that downtown Atlanta becomes a lively place to be in again...however, I doubt this will happen over the next couple of decades sadly.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I thought that was UCLA? I agree. Also fix our contractors. Our housing looks like jail cells.
UCLA was my dream school, but when I look at NYU, it offers an urban campus and NYC is my most favorite city in the world and would love to live there so yeah. NYU in Greenwich Village? That's a dream come true for me.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
If the city of Atlanta wasn't so ghetto and actually respected nation wide, Georgia State would be a different place to be honest. Sadly, the environment around the campus and in Downtown Atlanta is just disgusting. If this same GSU school were in the middle of downtown Chicago or Manhattan, this GSU would be more highly coveted.

Once the city starts caring about their urban core, then GSU will ride in the rankings again. This requires that downtown Atlanta becomes a lively place to be in again...however, I doubt this will happen over the next couple of decades sadly.
Ok Atlanta is a respected city globally. It has ugly parts and GSU is in it, but the city itself is not that bad. Atlanta is up-and-coming.

A better ATL? Well not a rise in rankings, but at least campus will be decent. It will never happen though. MARTA + Grady. They're permanent fixtures and it won't change. Even if underground is magically uplifted from the ghettos and the streets, campus rejuvenated, businesses flourishing instead of making like a revolving door on Broad St. even if skyscrapers are built, GSU will have to act as an institution. They should stop being the joke of a back-up for every decently bright college applying high school senior in Georgia. From what I hear about funding and grants plus dichloromethane's grad school statistics, our graduate programs might also take a hit. They're not AMAZING, but I would say they are decent..at least for business and law people who didn't get into Emory, Tech or UGA.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:24 PM

Atlanta's urban core isn't respected globally though. Sorry to say. Most people in the metro alone are still scared to venture in Downtown and even Midtown according to some people lol.

At least Tech is near the nicer part of the urban core.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
GSU can't suddenly admit only the top percentile, because no one would matriculate. Remember, top caliber students want to attend top caliber programs. GSU is used as a back-up to UGA and Georgia Tech. What GSU needs to do is win back those students who go off to GCSU and North Georgia. Again, why this is happening is beyond me. They would also do well to keep some of the lower end students going to Alabama, South Carolina and Mississippi. Keep Georgians in Georgia.
Where did this come from? We were comparing Georgia institutions to North Carolina.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Atlanta's urban core isn't respected globally though. Sorry to say. Most people in the metro alone are still scared to venture in Downtown and even Midtown according to some people lol.

At least Tech is near the nicer part of the urban core.
Atlanta's urban core is respected by rappers, prostitutes and homeless people. The city is very respected though. Atlanta's reputation will only improve.

Tech has a 400 acre campus in a nice part of town with smart students who care about how their campus looks and keep it clean. A lot less cigarette buds. GSU can be compared to Morehouse's campus, not Tech's campus.

I remember GSU tried to start some sort of effort to clean up campus but the students voted against it. They were asking for a $10 increase in tuition or something. I didn't vote, but I would have voted for. $10 is a drop in the budget to be honest.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Where did this come from? We were comparing Georgia institutions to North Carolina.
I'm pretty sure he was replying to ant saying that GSU needs to stop accepting all these unprepared students.

Ant I just realized you got a new account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta