Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

I really don't understand the point you are trying to make, nor your argument--and I think you are beginning to contradict some of your prior posts.

And--Georgia students are plenty intelligent. However, in many cases (maybe even most), no amount of intelligence can overcome the ravages of child poverty, inadequate health care, a lack of educational funding, and a dearth of true community support.
My point is already made by default of this thread's posting sir. My point doesn't need to be made anymore obvious.

What's your point may I ask? Just ranting?

The irony, is how far GA schools have come even with the [historically] poor funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
My point is already made by default of this thread's posting sir. My point doesn't need to be made anymore obvious.

What's your point may I ask? Just ranting?

The irony, is how far GA schools have come even with the [historically] poor funding.
Um, I'm not ranting. Huh? What?

I am actually saying that Georgia schools are doing the best they can with poor funding and a large poor population. Read carefully.

ChefRamsey--being argumentative (unnecessarily) is a tell-tale sign of someone feigning intelligence.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
I mean, it's great. It's awesome! It's just that... sounds too awesome to be true. Most of the education problem in GA is a result of ghetto high schools and rural high schools. We have more of them than other states..so it isn't fair. We just need more people graduating from college. Our SAT is higher than the average which is what counts. Even though we have so many colleges in GA, we're still sending the right people there...for now anyways.
I totally agree. I just find the ranking system a bit odd. My other home state, Minnesota, is home to a great public school and higher education system. It would be difficult for me to name off a 'bad' or a 'poor' school, honestly. With that said, there are great suburban schools here and I think it is definitely in the state's best interest to continue increasing education quality. The South has a lot of stereotypes and getting rid of 'crappy schools' would be a good stereotype to dump.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Um, I'm not ranting. Huh? What?

I am actually saying that Georgia schools are doing the best they can with poor funding and a large poor population. Read carefully.

ChefRamsey--being argumentative (unnecessarily) is a tell-tale sign of someone feigning intelligence.
Yup. You're right. My feigning intelligence.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,143,757 times
I'm engineering alumni from both schools and disagree here.
Tech's curriculum difficulty is not > Berkeley's curriculum difficulty. It could go either way. Both programs are extremely rigorous.

ETA: perhaps you are getting the "feel" of the schools mixed up with the rigor. For sure, the environments are very different - one is in laid back Cali, the other is in the middle of Atlanta, Georgia. Two totally different places with different student demographics (most Cal Berkeley students are from Cali) and two totally different feels. Also, the huge south side of Berkeley's campus that is all liberal arts makes for a unique total environment as well. But, make no mistake, the north side of campus and the rigor of the engineering program/curriculum is just as rigorous as that at GT. Berkeley has had an engineering program ranked #2 in the nation for years...and it's NOT behind GT (in case you were wondering). But, both schools are rigorous. One is not obviously more rigorous or have a better curriculum than the other.

Quote:
Exactly. And I'd argue that Tech's curriculum difficulty>Berkley's curriculum difficulty..for STEM majors. That's just my personal opinion. Know people at both schools as well as alumni.
!?

Last edited by LovelySummer; 01-14-2013 at 10:12 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Tech's curriculum difficulty is not > Berkeley's curriculum difficulty. It could go either way. Both programs are extremely rigorous.
Funny though. The best profs I've had got their PhDs from Berkeley.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post

ETA: perhaps you are getting the "feel" of the schools mixed up with the rigor. For sure, the environments are very different - one is in laid back Cali, the other is in the middle of Atlanta, Georgia. Two totally different places with different student demographics (most Cal Berkeley students are from Cali) and two totally different feels. Also, the huge south side of Berkeley's campus that is all liberal arts makes for a unique total environment as well. But, make no mistake, the north side of campus and the rigor of the engineering program/curriculum is just as rigorous as that at GT. Berkeley has had an engineering program ranked #2 in the nation for years...and it's NOT behind GT (in case you were wondering). But, both schools are rigorous. One is not obviously more rigorous or have a better curriculum than the other.
Interesting. Yeah, it was just my personal opinion. But Berkley is like Michigan or UNC of the west. GA Tech isn't comparable to Berkley. Tech is comparable to Cal Tech and MIT imo

Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM

402 posts, read 703,602 times
Quote:
Interesting. Yeah, it was just my personal opinion. But Berkley is like Michigan or UNC of the west. GA Tech isn't comparable to Berkley. Tech is comparable to Cal Tech and MIT imo
Yup, the closest we've got is Emory to Berkley, sans the engineering.

Also, I think UGA's model is UNC.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM

472 posts, read 809,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Funny though. The best profs I've had got their PhDs from Berkeley.
The best professor I've ever had got his PhD from Colorado School of Mines.

Great guy too.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM

Does anyone know why North Georgia and GCSU have such high posted scores relative to the rest of the schools(excluding Tech and UGA)

That weird? Why is the public liberal arts college and the military school getting those students.

Any hypothesis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta