Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
don't go to the vine city station. the GWCC or the five points subway stations are closer and safer.
Holy crap, there is nothing wrong with Vine City Station. MARTA police will be out in full force at both stations. If the OP has tickets to Gate A or B use Vine City, less crowded and closer walk.
For the best tailgating spots, make sure to visit 'under-the-bridge'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 AM

139 posts, read 231,663 times
IMO, it's pick your poison amongst the stations - and much depends on which gate you'll be leaving from.

Vine City is the easiest (and totally safe, BTW). However on big game days, you'll stand, packed like sardines for 45 min waiting for a train. Cruelly, MARTA will let the first one or two east bound trains skip Vine City to service the larger crowd at Dome/GWCC.

The Dome/GWCC is far and away the most crowded.

The walk to P'tree Center or Five Points is not too bad, but much further than VC or D-GWCC.

For easybay, I'd probably suggest walking to P'tree Center.

Personally, we've stopped taking MARTA on big game days. The cost and wait aren't worth it. We go early if we're driving (assuming we have a DD). Otherwise, we cab it. But, I'm not very far away.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
^^the op will ne transferring at five points, therefore coming in from the eastside so the dome/CNN/gwcc will be the station before vine city!! So on the way back to the airport (going westbound) vine city is first. I would recommend walking to five points just to see downtown! Go Falcons!
Going back to the airport after the game is eastbound... Vine City>>>Ga Dome stop>>>>Five Points.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatlien View Post
IMO, it's pick your poison amongst the stations - and much depends on which gate you'll be leaving from.

Vine City is the easiest (and totally safe, BTW). However on big game days, you'll stand, packed like sardines for 45 min waiting for a train. Cruelly, MARTA will let the first one or two east bound trains skip Vine City to service the larger crowd at Dome/GWCC.

The Dome/GWCC is far and away the most crowded.

The walk to P'tree Center or Five Points is not too bad, but much further than VC or D-GWCC.

For easybay, I'd probably suggest walking to P'tree Center.

Personally, we've stopped taking MARTA on big game days. The cost and wait aren't worth it. We go early if we're driving (assuming we have a DD). Otherwise, we cab it. But, I'm not very far away.
MARTA will be running extra trains on gameday. Last week I saw a westbound Blue Line every 7 minutes. MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
wouldn't you like to stay in town a little longer than 3 hours? if you're going to fly all the way out here, you should really give us a day, at least. either way, we'll be glad to have you!

and disregard what the folks said above— don't go to the vine city station. the GWCC or the five points subway stations are closer and safer
You have no clue what you are talking about. Go look at a map and come back and apologize for being so wrong afterwards. Five points station is a 1 mile walk from the Dome and through some not so nice parts of town. Vine City is directly on the west side of the Dome and closer to anyone on that side of the dome 100%.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Five points station is a 1 mile walk from the Dome and through some not so nice parts of town. Vine City is directly on the west side of the Dome and closer to anyone on that side of the dome 100%.
Its a 1 mile walk down Marietta Street, what's wrong with that street? Some great architecture along the way, not to mention Centennial Olympic Park and CNN Center.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Its a 1 mile walk down Marietta Street, what's wrong with that street? Some great architecture along the way, not to mention Centennial Olympic Park and CNN Center.
Anywhere walking downtown at night is at least somewhat sketchy with the amount of homeless people around. The whole area around Five Points station isn't somewhere I want to be walking around at night, especially when you can just get on Marta at Vine City or the dome.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Anywhere walking downtown at night is at least somewhat sketchy with the amount of homeless people around. The whole area around Five Points station isn't somewhere I want to be walking around at night, especially when you can just get on Marta at Vine City or the dome.
That is your opinion and thank you for it. My wife and I have had no problem walking around downtown at night.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Just go to Peachtree Center. There won't be much in the way of crowds there, and it will be faster than waiting on a train along the east-west line. And lol @ being scared in early evening downtown when there will be 70k fans pouring into the street.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
You have no clue what you are talking about. Go look at a map and come back and apologize for being so wrong afterwards. Five points station is a 1 mile walk from the Dome and through some not so nice parts of town. Vine City is directly on the west side of the Dome and closer to anyone on that side of the dome 100%.
Yeah, a very odd comment given that one coming out of the Dome has to walk across a single intersection to the entrance to Vine City station before they head to the subway platform.

I really don't understand why someone would be cautioned from using Vine City due to "safety concerns". No seriously, someone has to explain to me what will happen to someone walking across the street with perhaps 10,000 people at the same time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: