Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

This story, Good news on MARTA - Atlanta Public Transportation | Examiner.com, correctly depicts everyday coinsurance on MARTA. The local media won't publish good heated stories about MARTA, instead the only depict it as a crime-infested, dirty alternative for people who can't afford cars.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:42 PM

348 posts, read 434,430 times
Great article!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Agreed. I miss my old commute on MARTA. I have had mostly positive experiences when riding MARTA. A lot of little things.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Of course there are a lot of things like this that happen everywhere.

But do you really think the AJC is going to print an article on a woman dropping cheese on MARTA? Not exactly news.

It's kind of like Iraq. During the war, there was lots of criticism that the media didn't cover schools being opened, instead they only covered explosions. I asked a friend of mine who was actually in Iraq covering it about this and he said that whenever they would get ready to cover something good, something bad, but more newsworthy would happen, and they would have to divert and go cover that. Also, a lot of the "good news" was happening out where it wasn't safe for the media to travel.

So yeah, of course there are nice anecdotes everywhere. I'm sure right now in Syria there are all kinds of stories of people helping each other. I'm sure Nazi concentration camps had some guards that helped the people held inside of them. There's good all over, but you can't blame the media for not covering these stories.

Who would read the AJC if half of it was just stories about who held doors open for other people today?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM

66 posts, read 103,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Of course there are a lot of things like this that happen everywhere.

But do you really think the AJC is going to print an article on a woman dropping cheese on MARTA? Not exactly news.

It's kind of like Iraq. During the war, there was lots of criticism that the media didn't cover schools being opened, instead they only covered explosions. I asked a friend of mine who was actually in Iraq covering it about this and he said that whenever they would get ready to cover something good, something bad, but more newsworthy would happen, and they would have to divert and go cover that. Also, a lot of the "good news" was happening out where it wasn't safe for the media to travel.

So yeah, of course there are nice anecdotes everywhere. I'm sure right now in Syria there are all kinds of stories of people helping each other. I'm sure Nazi concentration camps had some guards that helped the people held inside of them. There's good all over, but you can't blame the media for not covering these stories.

Who would read the AJC if half of it was just stories about who held doors open for other people today?
That's because the media is a business trying to make money so they will do anything to make the most profit. It's not even news but more about ratings. As for Iraq, this was a secular country and had schools and the hoghest standard of living in the region. No matter how much bad stuff our media covers, one thing it will never do is step to far out of line by making it seem what we did was wrong or illegal. I have yet heard a single broadcaster on any of the major media outlets oppose the sanctions that were placed on Iraq when the rest of the world was opposed to them. I don't get my news from the media because it isn't news, but entertainment/business.

I used MARTA often when I didn't have my car and never had any problems. I wasn't worried about my safety but I was more annoyed by how long it took to get to North Springs from decatur, for example. But safety wasn't my worry. I had to leave two hours early just to make it to work on time. I wish this was something MARTA could improve on but I know it doesn't have the support and funding from the metro area. There is no reason why an area with over five million people can't have efficient transportation that go throughout the metro area.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Nice try cq.

What about the stories about the thugs that are stealing TVs and taking them back to the hood via MARTA?!?!?!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM

730 posts, read 827,912 times
most people that criticize marta have never actually taken marta.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
But do you really think the AJC is going to print an article on a woman dropping cheese on MARTA?
They would probably print it if she dropped it and some kid picked it up and ran off with it.

"Poor elderly woman's cheese brutally stolen by gang of teens on MARTA train" is always going to be good for circulation.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Nice try cq.

What about the stories about the thugs that are stealing TVs and taking them back to the hood via MARTA?!?!?!
I know right.
Quote:
most people that criticize marta have never actually taken marta
Spot on.
Quote:
Doom and gloom sells. Maybe that's why so many people go off and shoot a mass of people?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
most people that criticize marta have never actually taken marta.
Or have never used transportation systems in other American cities. For example, San Francisco's BART system is absolutely filthy; I won't even sit down on them. Many don't seem to know how good they have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta