Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times

Advertisements

Morehouse will be the first HBCU to have a LGBT course on campus

Morehouse College Launches LGBT Course, And More HBCU Highlights This Week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
They will also be the first HBCU to host 2 Chainz

Dr. Boyce Video: Why is "Big Booty Hoe" Rapper 2 Chainz Performing at Morehouse College? | Kulture Kritic

lol Morehouse. LOL.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
They will also be the first HBCU to host 2 Chainz

Dr. Boyce Video: Why is "Big Booty Hoe" Rapper 2 Chainz Performing at Morehouse College? | Kulture Kritic

lol Morehouse. LOL.
Not that I am fan of 2 Chainz, but what relevance this have with the OP? Also, despite not liking the stupidity of his "music", this sort of thing is pretty popular with the 18 to 21 year old year set. I mean, go to a college party at Harvard and what do you think they'll be playing? Pat Boone? But like everything else with Morehouse (and black men in general) damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Not that I am fan of 2 Chainz, but what relevance this have with the OP? Also, despite not liking the stupidity of his "music", this sort of thing is pretty popular with the 18 to 21 year old year set. I mean, go to a college party at Harvard and what do you think they'll be playing? Pat Boone? But like everything else with Morehouse (and black men in general) damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I was just trolling.

In all seriousness, good for Morehouse for stepping into the 21st century. I guess women studies will take a new meaning at that school.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Amen.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
It's a university, so it should be a place for thoughtful discussion. I would say an LGBT course fits in with that.

As does 2 Chainz, whoever that is. What would be cooler, though, would be if before or after the show, 2 Chainz had a q&a session where he could talk about his music, how he came to write it, and what message he hopes it portrays.

I got a lot out of public speakers at my university. I got to hear Bill Clinton, Jesse Jackson, and Louis Farrakhan. I don't specifically remember the conservative speakers, but I do remember kids fighting for the right for the white supremecists to march in a parade celebrating Hitler's birthday (some people were trying to get their parade permit denied). That was where I learned the important concept of even though I think your message is despicable, you have every right to express it.

Hopefully the kids at Moorehouse are learning these important concepts and looking at the message of 2 Chainz (and I don't even know what his message is) and deciding if they agree with it or not.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's a university, so it should be a place for thoughtful discussion. I would say an LGBT course fits in with that.

As does 2 Chainz, whoever that is. What would be cooler, though, would be if before or after the show, 2 Chainz had a q&a session where he could talk about his music, how he came to write it, and what message he hopes it portrays.

I got a lot out of public speakers at my university. I got to hear Bill Clinton, Jesse Jackson, and Louis Farrakhan. I don't specifically remember the conservative speakers, but I do remember kids fighting for the right for the white supremecists to march in a parade celebrating Hitler's birthday (some people were trying to get their parade permit denied). That was where I learned the important concept of even though I think your message is despicable, you have every right to express it.

Hopefully the kids at Moorehouse are learning these important concepts and looking at the message of 2 Chainz (and I don't even know what his message is) and deciding if they agree with it or not.
2 Chainz is a very insightful and deep thinking man. What he stands for? First 25 secs of this video. It must be nice to go to Morehouse. What a nice school.

2 Chainz "Birthday Song" [Big Booty Hoe] Ft. Kanye West (Lyrics On Screen) - YouTube

Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 PM

Well, that can open up a discussion as to what motivates an objectification of women in modern rap music and what the intended and unintended consequences of that are. Maybe he can provide some insight as to why he does it and exactly what he means by it. Also, what is the motivation behind the acquisition of flashy material possessions? Does this type of idea give young African American men something to strive for, or send a dangerous message that money should be spent on material possessions instead of invested and grown to build wealth for future generations?

I bet 2 Chainz would probably have a lot to say if he was given a forum where an open and lively dialogue could take place between some ambitious college students and himself. It would be interesting.

Of course, that may be having hopes that are too high. I've never been more ashamed of my city than when I went to see an anniversary screening of Do The Right Thing at the Fox Theater followed by a q&a session with Spike Lee. Not a single person asked a poignant racial question, everyone in the audience only asked silly questions about the production of the film and of course half of the people who got through just begged Spike to read their screenplays. It was humiliating.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM

492 posts, read 790,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, that can open up a discussion as to what motivates an objectification of women in modern rap music and what the intended and unintended consequences of that are. Maybe he can provide some insight as to why he does it and exactly what he means by it. Also, what is the motivation behind the acquisition of flashy material possessions? Does this type of idea give young African American men something to strive for, or send a dangerous message that money should be spent on material possessions instead of invested and grown to build wealth for future generations?

I bet 2 Chainz would probably have a lot to say if he was given a forum where an open and lively dialogue could take place between some ambitious college students and himself. It would be interesting.

Of course, that may be having hopes that are too high. I've never been more ashamed of my city than when I went to see an anniversary screening of Do The Right Thing at the Fox Theater followed by a q&a session with Spike Lee. Not a single person asked a poignant racial question, everyone in the audience only asked silly questions about the production of the film and of course half of the people who got through just begged Spike to read their screenplays. It was humiliating.
I am not even sure why you are expecting an entertainer to give some sort of in dept speech at a performance. I am wondering if you are trolling.

Also, trust me, most of his fans are very white. Like most mainstream party rappers ( or probably any rapper come to think of it).

Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 PM

It's not uncommon for entertainers to discuss their performances when they are in a university setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta