Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 AM

101 posts, read 154,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I grew up in NYC and it was a great way to grow up, however to say Atlanta is bad and act like it is different from most cities is naive. Most cities in the US have a similar layout.

People have an odd fantasy about NYC, I believe it is from the movies where they show young people living in apts that would cost at least 5k in a desirable area.

I really do not believe young people understand the cost of living in Manhattan. Most people who live in Manhattan with children are poor or wealthy. I grew up very comfortable in Manhattan, but I recognize my family was not a typical family. How much do you think schooling cost in Manhattan? At any of the top schools you are looking at close to 40k.

And to the Bay Ridge Brooklyn resident, please real Manhattanites would laugh at the Brooklyn Hipster fantasy. And Atlanta a Shantytown, oh please. That is what people on the UES, UWS, midtown, etc. would call Bay Ridge.

And the desirable areas of Queens and Brooklyn are much more than people believe. (and sorry but Bay Ridge is not desirable Brooklyn)
The New York you grew up in in the 50s is not the same NY today. So try again. Because the city has grown so much and prices have risen astronomically, areas such as Bay Ridge or Greenpoint or Williamsburg that were never desirable neighborhoods in the past, are now destination points for middle class Americans making it in NY today.

The point of this thread is that even far-flung neighborhoods such as Bay Ridge, or Greenpoint or what have you, are much more urban, complex, dense, ethnically diverse and dynamic then the pokey shantytowns in Atlanta that people there boast as "dense urban enclaves." So embarrassing.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
The New York you grew up in in the 50s is not the same NY today. So try again. Because the city has grown so much and prices have risen astronomically, areas such as Bay Ridge or Greenpoint or Williamsburg that were never desirable neighborhoods in the past, are now destination points for middle class Americans making it in NY today.

The point of this thread is that even far-flung neighborhoods such as Bay Ridge, or Greenpoint or what have you, are much more urban, complex, dense, ethnically diverse and dynamic then the pokey shantytowns in Atlanta that people there boast as "dense urban enclaves." So embarrassing.
Sorry but I am in my 40's, born in the sixties, and moved down to Atlanta in the 80's. I grew up on the UES so I am aware of what real high priced NYC is. And it sure is not Bay Ridge.

You can put lipstick all over Bay Ridge but child you are still in Bay Ridge, in Brooklyn.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Riiiiight. We just like to have them on the plantation for votes every four years. After all that's what Hannity, Limbaugh and Faux News pulled out of their collective ar*es so it must be true.

If that's what you believe (erroneously of course) how Liberals view minorities, it frightens me to think what you and other white Republicans have in store for them.
Oh please I have heard what white liberals think, I am Hispanic/White by the way. Well if white liberalism is so great for minorities, why did Chicago have over 500 murders?

Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Ok, so everyone goes to sleep about 3am.
Quote:
Miami has South beach and that blows ANY neighborhood in Atlanta out of the water. Miami is more dense then Atlanta by far however. Very walkable and vibrant. THAT IS A VIBRANT, WALKABLE NEIGHBORHOOD. It is big too. It ain't 2 blocks like East Atlanta.
Miami has very poor neighborhoods surrounding the CBD, north and west. That density you talk about in Downtown and Brickell are half-empty condo towers that are being bought up by foreign investors.
NYC was great, but very expensive. It is the ultimate urban living in the US.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 AM

101 posts, read 154,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Oh please I have heard what white liberals think, I am Hispanic/White by the way. Well if white liberalism is so great for minorities, why did Chicago have over 500 murders?
Yours is a very simplistic argument, but I'd expect that from a trout fisherman from "Jaw-ja". I can play cause and effect games too. It's really not hard. Watch...

....and if white Republicanism is so good for minorities then why did crime and murder rates suddenly skyrocket during the years of Ronnie Raygun and King Bush I? Only in the late 90s did crime diminish under Clinton and have continued that decline thru King Bush II and now into two of Obama's terms. Maybe white liberalism lowered the rates?

... and if white Republicanism is so good for minorities then why did NY have 500+ murders annually under Giuliani and Bloomberg as mayors. Maybe white republican mayors contribute to the murder rates?

Facts can be skewed any which way you want them. So you better listen carefully and come up with some new ones the next time you turn on Faux News in your tacky 5,000.00 square foot mcmansion with 4 1/2 garages that's only worth 98,000.00.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Yours is a very simplistic argument, but I'd expect that from a trout fisherman from "Jaw-ja". I can play cause and effect games too. It's really not hard. Watch...

....and if white Republicanism is so good for minorities then why did crime and murder rates suddenly skyrocket during the years of Ronnie Raygun and King Bush I? Only in the late 90s did crime diminish under Clinton and have continued that decline thru King Bush II and now into two of Obama's terms. Maybe white liberalism lowered the rates?

... and if white Republicanism is so good for minorities then why did NY have 500+ murders annually under Giuliani and Bloomberg as mayors. Maybe white republican mayors contribute to the murder rates?

Facts can be skewed any which way you want them. So you better listen carefully and come up with some new ones the next time you turn on Faux News in your tacky 5,000.00 square foot mcmansion with 4 1/2 garages that's only worth 98,000.00.
What about the 70% of black children being born outside of marriage or the 50% of Hispanics?

Who do you think benifitted under NCLB?

Typical liberals do not want to deal with the real issues.

Sorry but I do not live in a McMansion. I like in an established Buckhead neighborhood. I also only have a two car detached garage. You must be using marijuana if you think you could even get a McMansion in a crappy area for 98k.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Hate to keep busting on Atlanta like this, but maybe this will make people realize why I'm not too fond of Atlanta. Also to show people East Atlanta and Inman park are not real urban neighborhoods that are connected to the main CBD and other urban neighborhoods.
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe, I don't know, some people like having more smaller neighborhoods than a giant busting metropolis of urbanity? NYC? Great city. Would I live there. God hell no. Chicago? Great city. Would I live there? Most likely not. Miami? I'm sure it's a great city. Would I live there? Are you kidding me? I'd rather puke on my plate then eat it. Everything I know about South Beach sounds like hipster douchebag hell. Not everyone is like "Yeah, Brah! I totally live in the most awesome metro ever! We're so urban and walkable and independent!"

Do I think Atlanta is perfect? Far from it. But do I come and interrupt your Dungeons and Dragons marathon to rail on your city, because my life is too boring otherwise? Nope. I don't visit any other city's forum. What's the point telling people how awful their city is? Sounds like a huge case of insecurity. Trust me, I have plenty of bad things to say about every so-called "world-class city". But, I don't need to waste my time like that.

Not sure why you feel like you have to. But, if it makes you feel better...then you have fun.

EDIT: I just read more of the thread. I should clarify that I *do* like big, walkable areas with restaurants, bars, and such. But, you decide what is more important to you. Would you rather (as a renter):
A: Have walkable access to several restaurants and bars, but live in a tiny 4-th floor walkup apartment, maybe with a roommate, for $2000 a month
B: Have a few restaurants and bars around, but more a short ride/drive away, but live in a nice, comfortably-sized apartment for $1000/month

For me, it's a no-brainer. When the theater tour I was on was ending in 2004, everyone was finding new places to go and live. Obviously, a lot of them were headed to NYC, and I was headed to ATL. Everyone was comparing their new living quarters. It was very frequent to hear "I got a 250-square foot 4th floor walkup apartment for only $2300 a month and it'll be less if I can find a roommate!" or something similar. When I responded "I just rented a 1300 square foot apartment with two bedrooms, a large bonus room, in-unit laundry, a deck, and free parking for $750 a month within walking distance of quite a few restaurants and stores" I got evil stares.

I just don't like the hustle and bustle of places like NYC. And I can simply do a LOT more with the money I make than I could in a place like that.

There's something else that draws me to Atlanta. Besides the mostly temperate climate (rare snow...I hate winter), I can be on some whitewater kayaking, in a mountainside cabin, on a boat on a lake, snow skiing, or on the beach all within a few hours. Not a whole lot of the major metro areas in this country have all of that available right there.

Last edited by samiwas1; 01-22-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Everything I know about South Beach sounds like hipster douchebag hell.
More like fist pumping and $20 drinks, not PBR.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
More like fist pumping and $20 drinks, not PBR.
Oh jeez...that's even worse. Gold chains and fist pumping and expensive drinks...not my scene at all.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM

492 posts, read 790,737 times
Quote:
Everything I know about South Beach sounds like hipster douchebag hell.
Ok, to clarify there is NOTHING hipster about South Beach. How could anyone come to the conclusion that a place that had a club kick out DJ Shadow for being too "experimental" as a hipster haven.

Lol, where did you get that impression? What is a hipster to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta