Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times

Advertisements

It's not the CIC and it's only been around since 2005, but it is adding programs and growing. The SECAC works together in a lot of academic areas. Last year I heard of an instance where the size of a grant required more capability than was available in one University so three Universities in the SEC worked together and utilized all their labs to attract the research dollars.

The SECAC

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/AcademicConsortium

Sorry, can't get this link correct

Last edited by Optikat; 01-29-2013 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Has there been an update on this rumor?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Has there been an update on this rumor?
No. This has been going on for 3 straight years. It is all speculation and garbage internet rumors at this point.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
This is certainly very late, but this is what I'd like to see happen in the next few years.

PAC adds San Diego St., BYU, Boise St., and UNLV/Hawaii to go to 16 members.
ACC adds Notre Dame as full member as well as UConn and Cincinnati but loses Georgia Tech to go to 14 members.
B1G adds Georgia Tech and Kansas (with Rutgers and Maryland) to go to 16 members.
Big 12 adds Colorado St. but loses Kansas.
SEC remains the same.

Admittedly, I am a PAC fan. All of these changes bring new TV markets to the conferences. Yes, the PAC 12 currently has four teams in CA but since San Diego is the 8th largest city in the country and is larger than many states, I would consider it a new market. BYU has a nation-wide fanbase that is not solely bound by geography but rather by religion. It also is a natural rival to Utah.

I currently do not think that the ACC is unstable, and rather that the Big 12 is doomed to be consumed by the B1G and SEC, and possibly the PAC. I think that the Big 12 only has about four truly solid schools and that the others do not add much to the conference, namely Texas Tech, Iowa St., etc.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:37 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optikat View Post
It's not the CIC and it's only been around since 2005, but it is adding programs and growing. The SECAC works together in a lot of academic areas. Last year I heard of an instance where the size of a grant required more capability than was available in one University so three Universities in the SEC worked together and utilized all their labs to attract the research dollars.

The SECAC

Academic Consortium

Sorry, can't get this link correct
That's nothing new. Grants are frequently across multiple universities. And personal connections between faculty count for more than conference affiliations.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMan123194 View Post
If we must have super conferences, I too would like to see the PAC add those western teams.

Quote:
ACC adds Notre Dame as full member as well as UConn and Cincinnati but loses Georgia Tech to go to 14 members.
If ND joins anyone as a full member, more likely it will the B1G. The ACC is in danger of being picked apart but that hefty exit fee might stop that. A lot might hinge on Maryland's lawsuit.

Quote:
B1G adds Georgia Tech and Kansas (with Rutgers and Maryland) to go to 16 members.
GT as a sole southern team is possible but GT still might not like the travel costs for all its non-football teams. The B1G adding some travel partners might improve its chances of getting GT. But I don't see the advantage of adding Kansas. What market value is there in that?

Quote:
My guess is that the Big 12 will grab what's left over of east coast teams to form east and west divisions.

Quote:
SEC remains the same.
I doubt that. The SEC probably has more leverage than the B1G. If this amounts to a money grab, the SEC will be a part of it.

Quote:
I currently do not think that the ACC is unstable, and rather that the Big 12 is doomed to be consumed by the B1G and SEC, and possibly the PAC. I think that the Big 12 only has about four truly solid schools and that the others do not add much to the conference, namely Texas Tech, Iowa St., etc.
I could see it go either way between the Big 12 and ACC. Depends on how high a wall the ACC has created to keep members in. The ACC represents big markets and could be carved up between the B1G and SEC with the Big 12 grabbing the remainder. And despite its somewhat ND image, Texas is probably holding the Big 12 together. If Texas goes, the Big 12 could fall apart.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:53 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,329 times
I dunno guys, the way things are lookin we may not have realignment at all.

I guess it was all a publicity stunt for the "newsman"

Gordon Gee says yes expansion. BIG 12 says yes expansion. Michigan State AD says no expansion. BIG 12 tries to form "alliance" with ACC.

Hmm it's all fishy.

IF big 10 makes a move for ONE measly ACC team, then SEC will follow and BIG 12 can finally make its BIG 12 East. Or maybe ACC can make a BIG 12 west.

If not, big 12 may just have to suck in some more crap teams as filler...or maybe they could merge with pac-12.

If ACC is to be torn up, they better tear it up properly. I don't want to see rivalries destroyed.

It all depends on that Maryland exit fee.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:15 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMan123194 View Post
This is certainly very late, but this is what I'd like to see happen in the next few years.

SEC remains the same.

Admittedly, I am a PAC fan. All of these changes bring new TV markets to the conferences. Yes, the PAC 12 currently has four teams in CA but since San Diego is the 8th largest city in the country and is larger than many states, I would consider it a new market. BYU has a nation-wide fanbase that is not solely bound by geography but rather by religion. It also is a natural rival to Utah.

Pac 12 will NEVER EVER add SDSU, UNLV or Hawaii. And you're out of your mind if you think the Big 12 gets raided before the ACC. If the ACC loses any two of Clemson, FSU or VT football wise it's over with...it'll be a basketball conference. And with the Big 12 having added WVU, it's more likely that they'll take another ACC team to help them relieve their travel issues than either conference taking a Big 12 team. SEC has no need for anymore Big 12 teams now that they're in Texas with A&M. As long as Texas and Oklahoma are there the Big 12 isn't going anywhere. And if the Big 12 only has 4 stable schools, who does the ACC have? Basically FSU & Clemson at this point, the rest are only good for basketball.

As of last year, the Big 12 had Kansas State, Oklahoma & Texas in the final top 25. The ACC had Florida State & Clemson...basically the same two they've had for the last few years. Basketball it's a given that the ACC is better but football markets are driving the realignment, not bball. It wouldn't really make sense for the Pac 12 to expand that far east, it would be a travel nightmare for any team that joins from Big 12 country. And honestly, I don't see the Big 10 having leverage to take from the Big 12 at this point after Nebraska...it'd be a lateral move at best. Now if it were the SEC, that'd be a different story. Doubt if the SEC does anymore expanding either.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
And you're out of your mind if you think the Big 12 gets raided before the ACC
It wasn't that long ago that the Big 12 collapsed and its stability is hardly one of harmony as any number of external dynamics could pull it apart.

The ACC has been stable and never subject to collapsing. The Maryland loss is bigger deal for BB, but no loss at all in football.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It wasn't that long ago that the Big 12 collapsed and its stability is hardly one of harmony as any number of external dynamics could pull it apart.

The ACC has been stable and never subject to collapsing. The Maryland loss is bigger deal for BB, but no loss at all in football.
I think once the college football playoffs are expanded, you will see more conference stability. It will begin with a 4 team playoff, which will eventually go to 8 and possibly 12 within the next 10 years. There will be no need to jump conferences if you only have to finish in the 8-12 in the nation to have a shot at the national championship, or the premier playoff bowls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta