Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
You are right, GT, Clemson and FSU add nothing for the SEC monetarily.

I certainly think GT wouldn't be at the top of the conference, but over the past 15 years we certainly have been better than Kentucky, Vandy, Missouri, Miss St and Ole Miss. If you look at the average records, GT compares very favorably to Tennessee, USCe, and TAMU during the same stretch. Would GT compete with UF, UGA, LSU and Bama, no, but I think they could hold their own against the mid-level and lower level SEC teams.
When you put it that way, it makes sense. I'm just thinking more rivalry for SEC. I'm an SEC fan. Was NOT thinking money at all, but that makes sense.

I thought West Virginia should have gone to the SEC when they were looking to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
When you put it that way, it makes sense. I'm just thinking more rivalry for SEC. I'm an SEC fan. Was NOT thinking money at all, but that makes sense.

I thought West Virginia should have gone to the SEC when they were looking to move.
Expanding to Texas and Missouri brought in much larger media markets than would West Virginia. These moves are all fueled by money.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,884 times
Quote:
I disagree. Look at the effect of joining the Big Ten and CIC had on Penn State's research 20 years ago.

A B1G membership would be big for GT as far as research goes.
False. It did not elevate research at Penn State. That is an urban myth based on people gobbling up publicity copy. Don't confuse the near doubling of available federal research funding during the 1990s with the CIC doing a darn thing to increase any institution's research expenditures. You can't look at the raw numbers in a vacuum.

According to the NSF reports, in FY 1990 Penn State R&D accounted for 1.57% of total national R&D expenditures among US colleges and universities (or 9th out of all colleges and universities in the US). In FY 2011, the latest available numbers, Penn State R&D had fallen to 1.23% of total academic R&D spending or #16 nationally.

Therefore, the actual facts are that Penn State has actually fallen in % of total national R&D expenditures in comparison to peers since it joined the CIC in 1990. In addition, since 1996 when US News began individual school rankings past 25th place, Penn State has dropped from #41 to #46 this year. It's numbers are worse, not better.

The truth is the ACCIAC is essentially the exact same thing as the CIC, and neither really do a darn thing to enhance a school's competitiveness in obtaining extramural research support or anything substantial to foster inter-institutional collaborations on real research projects. They both have some nice programs and do some nice things, but what is often implied to be done by these "consortiums" is simply not the reality of how academic research works.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Oh look who is wrong again.

The Big Ten generates more through their media deals than does the SEC.

Google it.
Georgia Tech already brings in more money in research than Illinois and way more than Purdue. GT is already among the leading research schools. Moving to the B1G would be more of a lateral move in terms of research for GT.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Georgia Tech already brings in more money in research than Illinois and way more than Purdue. GT is already among the leading research schools. Moving to the B1G would be more of a lateral move in terms of research for GT.
Top to bottom, there are more research universities in the Big Ten I would rather be associated with.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Top to bottom, there are more research universities in the Big Ten I would rather be associated with.
But you don't need an Athletic Conference affiliation to do research with'em. I mean, should GT drop down to DIII so it can collaborate with MIT and the biggest research cash cow John Hopkins?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 PM

472 posts, read 809,265 times
Quote:
But you don't need an Athletic Conference affiliation to do research with'em. I mean, should GT drop down to DIII so it can collaborate with MIT and the biggest research cash cow John Hopkins?
Now you're just being ridiculous. Try to understand what he's saying here. The research would only serve as an added plus, icing on the cake. A conference partnership enables quicker collaboration rather than individual departments collaborating with each other on a particular grant or project. That happens as it is. Schools want to see their conferences do well. Much like how you would want your close friend to do well rather than someone you know at work.

Scientifically, it doesn't make much sense.
Unfortunately, science no longer drives the world of man, money does.

Anyways, the shear millions from joining BIG 10 would more than justify the realignment. That is the bottom line. You can argue up and down, but Georgia Tech joining the BIG 10 would be a very great thing.

Regarding penn state, conference realignment is not a significant boost. It's only a considerable boost. There are plenty of factors at play at a school of Penn State's size.

Remember, it wasn't until fairly recently that football payouts ballooned to the amounts they're at now. It wasn't until recently that academic reimbursements became commonplace at even DIII schools.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Now you're just being ridiculous. Try to understand what he's saying here. The research would only serve as an added plus, icing on the cake. A conference partnership enables quicker collaboration rather than individual departments collaborating with each other on a particular grant or project. That happens as it is. Schools want to see their conferences do well. Much like how you would want your close friend to do well rather than someone you know at work.
Collaboration comes down to departments and individual connections. It's not driven by conference affiliation. Conferences have their academic collaboration organizations setup probably more as show as to how they value academics. But a lot of the collaborative research comes down to individual connections.

The best that can be said for a B1G membership is the bowl, etc. payouts.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM

472 posts, read 809,265 times
Quote:
Collaboration comes down to departments and individual connections. It's not driven by conference affiliation. Conferences have their academic collaboration organizations setup probably more as show as to how they value academics. But a lot of the collaborative research comes down to individual connections.

The best that can be said for a B1G membership is the bowl, etc. payouts.
Yes, but with conference alliances, there is incentive. There is meaning. I would argue that the higher standards(and bigger endowments) of the other BIG 10 schools would pressure Tech to step up it's game as well, even though they're already way up there.

As always, we'll agree to disagree.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Yes, but with conference alliances, there is incentive. There is meaning. I would argue that the higher standards(and bigger endowments) of the other BIG 10 schools would pressure Tech to step up it's game as well, even though they're already way up there.

As always, we'll agree to disagree.
Well, your argument would be wrong. That is simply not how things work in academia.

Nearly every point you have made above has no basis in fact or the real world. I'll stick my PhD and 15 years in academic research on it.

MathmanMathman is dead on accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta