Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaco View Post
Well, your argument would be wrong. That is simply not how things work in academia.

Nearly every point you have made above has no basis in fact or the real world. I'll stick my PhD and 15 years in academic research on it.

MathmanMathman is dead on accurate.
I'll defer to you and Mathman on this issue.

I still think that a partnership in the CIC would be helpful, but certainly not reason enough to consider such a move. I read somewhere that a disproportionate amount of research at GT is from defense sources and with certain budget cutbacks coming, I figured more partnerships could equate to increased diversity in research funding options. I'm not in academia, so I could be mistaken, but that was my thought process. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
I have had this similar argument with a co-worker (Texas alum) and I have to side with Mathman and Paco on this. I fail to see how conference alignment in athletics has ANYTHING to do with a University's stature in academia. I can understand the B1G WANTING to have nothing but top tier institutions in its athletic conference, but I fail to see that being in such a conference raises one's academic panache. It raises the athletic panache, but not the other way around. MIT is the slam dunk proof of that pudding.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 PM

472 posts, read 809,334 times
A quick aside on expansion naysayers, Dr. Gee made a comment today. Regardless how everyone feels, there will more than likely be some notable changes to the ACC as well as Georgia Tech.

Gee told Athletic Council Big Ten expansion talks "ongoing" | Buckeye Xtra Sports

Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Yes, but with conference alliances, there is incentive. There is meaning. I would argue that the higher standards(and bigger endowments) of the other BIG 10 schools would pressure Tech to step up it's game as well, even though they're already way up there.

As always, we'll agree to disagree.
For the record, Vanderbilt does more than fine being aligned in the SEC even though they aren't an academic fit.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
For the record, Vanderbilt does more than fine being aligned in the SEC even though they aren't an academic fit.
Once more, you all missed the point.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM

About CIC

This is what I'm talking about. Simply being affiliated with other colleges via an athletic conference doesn't have an impact other than perception (which I think is minimal). However, as far as I know, other conferences don't have partnerships set up like this. This is the difference that I was referring to previously. Is it a necessity for research (MIT), of course not and I don't recall anyone saying it was, but it couldn't do anything but help increase research opportunities at GT.

(For the record, I'm still not advocating a move and I don't think it is likely at all.)

Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
We all knew about 16 teams to a conference, but 20? All the teams that "matter" could be contained in just 4 conferences. Personally I don't like it when conferences are so large that one half of a football conference can't play a regular season game against the other. Only a championship game which might be really boring if one division is much better than the other.

And where does that leave the other teams that get left behind? We might anti-trust suits filed to prevent a virtual college football cartel.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 AM

This (recent) article outlined the expansion. I suppose we will see who's right and who's wrong tomorrow when the BIG 12 meets. Maybe the BIG 10 will make an announcement the same week. I like some aspects of this new system. I like the idea of having a committee in addition to BCS rankings. Less chances of Alabama v ND match ups.

College Football Off-Season Means More Conference Expansion Talk - Black Heart Gold Pants

Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
This (recent) article outlined the expansion. I suppose we will see who's right and who's wrong tomorrow when the BIG 12 meets. Maybe the BIG 10 will make an announcement the same week. I like some aspects of this new system. I like the idea of having a committee in addition to BCS rankings. Less chances of Alabama v ND match ups.

College Football Off-Season Means More Conference Expansion Talk - Black Heart Gold Pants
The internet is littered with dumb rumors.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,708 times
Report: Gee calls Big Ten expansion talks 'ongoing' in meeting - CBSSports.com

+

Expansion one of several items on Big 12 agenda - CBSSports.com

I think the ACC+BIG 12 talks are interesting.

Apparently Big East is looking to add a 12th team.

Big East wants to add 12th school, keep name - ESPN

Last edited by ChefRamsey; 01-28-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta