Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times

Advertisements

Temp agencies are tough these days. I have over 15 years experience. I had gone in for a higher paying job a friend recommended me for that was paying $45k. This was in 2012. Even though I had a perfect resume, several years experience and passed all the tests with flying colors, because I'd been out of an office environment since 2009, they only sent me on the low-paying assignments. Even with all my expeirence and having worked very long-term assignments for them in the past Office Team still only wanted to get me $11 an hour assignments and never had any work whenever I called.

Ferrar, why haven't tried to move into management where you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM

45 posts, read 54,160 times
I want out of retail, I can't be doing this for the rest of my life.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarimanf355 View Post
I want out of retail, I can't be doing this for the rest of my life.
I understand. Trust me. But it's what you have right now. It's not what you want and the money sucks but if you are smart about it, moving up into management is more money. If you can move up into management, you can from there try to get into the corporate offices. The further you move up in retail, the more benefits you can get is well.

Take advantage of whatever training they have so you can move up. Inquire about it. Become the best at your job, become as knowlegeable as possible so you create advacement opps for yourself.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:54 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
I don't know. I should look, but I don't know many people from college.
It doesn't matter; you're an alum. That's all you need to start making the right connections.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It doesn't matter; you're an alum. That's all you need to start making the right connections.
I know of a couple of people who got jobs through their colleges' alumni associations. A lot of people don't realize that's what alumni associations are for and I am often amazed how many people don't even think to utilize that resource.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think it matters that I don't know anybody.

I'm at the point where I need things to happen fast. I don't want to live with my parents forever, sell cigarettes to old infirm people forever, be in debt forever... I need things to happen.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 PM

421 posts, read 749,660 times
Quote:
I think it matters that I don't know anybody.

I'm at the point where I need things to happen fast. I don't want to live with my parents forever, sell cigarettes to old infirm people forever, be in debt forever... I need things to happen.
If you are that desperate as you say then join the military. Do it ASAP with no excuses.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
If you are that desperate as you say then join the military. Do it ASAP with no excuses.
I am not joining the military.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:26 AM

Ferrariman,

You have been given some pretty good, solid advice here. Nothing changes if nothing changes. You want to change careers, yet you don't seem to want to take action. As long as you don't take action, you will always be where you are. Being part of an alumni association isn't necessarily about knowing people (though networking is a great way to get jobs leads these days), but alumni associations have job postings and colleges have job boards or career centers for their graduates. If you aren't willing to utilize that resources you have, there's no advice anyone could give that could help you.

Trying to move up where you are and joining your school's alumni association are about the best options you have right now.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 AM

421 posts, read 749,660 times
Quote:
I am not joining the military.
Then you aren't really as desperate as you say. Get the loans and get a new skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: