Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM

492 posts, read 786,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
For-profit schools work much like corporations. Their goal is to get the most money from you as possible without regard for your education. You want a degree, and they want money.

Private universities are universities not operated by governments. They don't receive public funding. They may get tax-breaks, but not much else. We give Emory quite the tax break because of how much they bring to Georgia and Atlanta. The Ivies, religiously/racially affiliated school(Georgetown, HBCUs), smaller LACs(liberal arts colleges) are usually private.

For-profits are a hot debate in higher ed. Basically, one said says, "Hey if you're dumb enough to fall for this trap, the corporations-er schools-deserve your money."

On the other hand people think it's unethical. Some believe it to be much like putting lead into water without regulation.

So basically private universities are looking for profit too right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM

492 posts, read 786,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye3rd89 View Post
Alot of things to think about (sorry for the long response just came in the house from a lil OT at work :P)

In reference to a couple of people's response's questions.

1.I'm 23.
2.Currently split an apartment with my dad. (Stockbridge)
3.No wife, no kids (yay lol)
4.I'd just like pursue a career in computer field. Trying to learn more about computers in and out....even plan to build one from scratch...although according to my friend it's like lego for big kids lol
5. For that brief moment out of graduation only jobs I had was Blue Bell (09-11) Six Flags (2010) and Teacher's Assistant at my mother's school (wasn't anything official but I was there enough to might as well)

So yea....not looking all promising on my resume
6.Also trying to get a new car...

So yea alot on my plate at the moment...

My problem was I didn't apply myself like I should have

Sounds like you may need to get a A+ certification book (or learn online) if you don't know how to build a computer but want to work in the field. That's basic stuff.

Then as said earlier look into different IT degree at state colleges and see what area interest you. Computer Engineering and Computer Science are math heavy so if that isn't your strong point you may want to look into Information Systems a Networking, Foresics (hot now), IT Security (also hot), Web design, etc tracks to consider. What do you want to do with "computers"? Anything specific?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,201,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Sounds like you may need to get a A+ certification book (or learn online) if you don't know how to build a computer but want to work in the field. That's basic stuff.

Then as said earlier look into different IT degree at state colleges and see what area interest you. Computer Engineering and Computer Science are math heavy so if that isn't your strong point you may want to look into Information Systems a Networking, Foresics (hot now), IT Security (also hot), Web design, etc tracks to consider. What do you want to do with "computers"? Anything specific?
Just got my A+ yesterday! Sorry, had to brag...

Certification PLUS experience helps a lot in the IT field. Most would say experience before certs. However, many times a certification will give you a huge leg up in getting that first IT job.

The tests aren't that hard, and once you get past the basic crap, you will learn a lot. Getting certs and experience is WAY more cheap than going back to school. Everybody goes to school. It hardly provides you with an advantage. You have to stand out and also prove you will provide value to your employer.

Not to mention it seems like IT has more growth in Atlanta than any other career field...

Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 AM

119 posts, read 211,600 times
Stay away from Phoenix University... You will be paying triple the tuition rate and it's the kiss of death on some resumes. Try looking into a good State school like everyone else says. Or since you live in Stockbridge you can check out Mercer University since its close to you. You are only 23 so you have time. I got my BA at the age of 31. Good Luck!!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,119,014 times
Good for you for working towards ur goal. It might hurt a bit but have you given thought to interning for free at a company that will give u the experience in a job like the one that u want? U could intern say 15 hours a week and work ur call center job the rest of the week. A year of this could give u experience that folk straight out of school do not have and u'd be cheaper to an employer than someone with say a Bachelor's degree bc u only have an associates so u might look very, very attractive. Just another possibility for thought.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM

23 posts, read 44,925 times
Hmm Mercer University links on certain parts of the site appear to be broken...
Couldn't quite find the info I wanted for the computer program...
Guess I may have to go over there on friday awhile I'm off

I may have to do online classes unless there's a decent school that has evening programs as i get off ~5:30

Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 AM

119 posts, read 211,600 times
Mercer University has many classes that start at 5:30 and they have weekend classes too. I believe GA State offers some online classes for the program you want as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 PM

23 posts, read 44,925 times
I completely forgot that there's a DeVry Center in stockbridge...and it's right off the exit I live off of lol

Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,903,606 times
Glad you came back.... I would look for a job on a IS help desk, With your assoc in Computer X?? should give you a good step in the right direction. Working in a call center also works in your favor. You have the enough IS knowledge and the customer service skills that make a good help desk person.

Help Desk is a good foot in the door. One you have done your time in HD, you can then post for internal jobs, Also most bigger company have tuition assistance program that pay most of the costs for you get your BS. My Company's help desk is staffed from 6am ET to 11pm ET to provide support to the folks out on the west coast (and some support to offshore ).

My company has two help desks one in NJ, and one in Alpharetta. Alot of Computer Related jobs are on the NorthSide of the city.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,719,452 times
Have you looked at Southern Poly? Don't worry about transfer credit so much..as others said, EET is almost useless in this economy. Do you want to do low level computer tech help/IT/administrator stuff, or move into routing, switching, network design/architecture?

Either is fine, but the pay differential from the latter justifies greater investment (read: debt). I don't usually encourage debt to go to school, but this is dependent on your discipline and aptitude. An A+ is great and all, but it's an old cert, much like MCSE, and the things you can do with it have long been commoditized. Hell, with the advent of LogMeIn and the like, remote tech help can be done from another country. Computers are also commodities, I'd just as likely throw one away and get a new one, rather than spend any more than 2-4 man hours repairing one (in a corp setting).

I guess you should figure out what you want to do....math is going to play a part along the road either way. As others mentioned, now is the time to make short term sacrifice for huge long term upside. If it's any consolation, I'm a network engineering manager and havent hired anyone with more than 5 years experience for less than just shy of a hundred grand in several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta