Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 PM

192 posts, read 324,370 times

Advertisements

I have seen many threads in here warning people not to move to Atlanta without a job lined up or having two years of savings. Is that still the case?

I am wondering in particular how the job market in Atlanta is for someone who has just graduated with a BA and is looking for anything entry level that calls for some sort of BA? I have my BA in Geography with some GIS skills and many years of customer service experience. Atlanta is one of three potential places to move to that I am looking at, and I was wondering how my prospects would be if I was to move there for six months and try to find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 AM

492 posts, read 790,969 times
I don't even think Atlanta or anywhere on the east coast is a good place for that field. I'd try Texas and the Midwest specifically for your skills.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Good luck.

Without any connections, you will have a tough time.

Jealous of those GIS skills. I have looked into those type of jobs, most require experience working with SQL. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of acticity for entry level folks in the area.

Come to think of it, check out CH2M HILL.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 AM

192 posts, read 324,370 times
Thanks y'all, it does not sound too promising in Atlanta, so it sounds like it would be too risky to try living there for six months.

To the person who left reputation asking what other cities I have looked at. The main one I have been looking at is Chicago, which is still my top choice, but I am not convinced of my chances with the job market there. I have also thought about D.C., but housing is too expensive for my tastes, and Houston which I am starting to consider more now because of its better job market. Boston does not interest me, and my other top East Coast city after D.C. would be Philadelphia, but for some reason I just have never been interested in it enough.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM

14 posts, read 27,046 times
Try the US Federal Gov jobs, the Dept of Homeland Securtiy has an office in Atlanta. There is no such thing as entry level anymore. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,964 times
I don't know about those types of jobs in Atlanta, but if you want to find something entry level in Atlanta, it is possible and the work could totally be unrelated to your background. The job market here is hard for some to tap into from far away. I guess your approach should be is to apply to as much as you can and see if you get interviews.

I would only move elsewhere if I get a job offer and not risk moving and then not finding something after you depleted your funds.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
I have seen many threads in here warning people not to move to Atlanta without a job lined up or having two years of savings. Is that still the case?

I am wondering in particular how the job market in Atlanta is for someone who has just graduated with a BA and is looking for anything entry level that calls for some sort of BA? I have my BA in Geography with some GIS skills and many years of customer service experience. Atlanta is one of three potential places to move to that I am looking at, and I was wondering how my prospects would be if I was to move there for six months and try to find a job.
Metro Atlanta Unemployment Rate Rises | WABE 90.1 FM

Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Good luck.

Without any connections, you will have a tough time.

Jealous of those GIS skills. I have looked into those type of jobs, most require experience working with SQL. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of acticity for entry level folks in the area.

Come to think of it, check out CH2M HILL.
CH2M Hill no longer has a GIS division. They spun off that part and sold it to Critigen.
GIS Consulting & Solutions and Managed IT Services | Critigen
Current Employment Opportunities - Critigen

CDC hires tons of GIS people though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta