Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 04:08 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times

Advertisements

So did an interesting experiment yesterday (I do my grocery shopping once every 2 weeks, and I am diabetic, controlled with diet and exercise, so my diet is pretty tight and predictable, so it makes it easy to compare.

Typically, I will either get everything at Publix (meaning meat, dairy, eggs, vegetables, some dry goods, and household supplies) (Most expensive by about $20)

Or I will split up and get dairy, egg, dry goods and household supplies at Kroger and Meat and vegetables at Super H.

This time I went with Whole Foods for meat, dairy, eggs, and vegetables and hit the Kroger for dry goods and household supplies.

My bill worked out to roughly the same as the Kroger/Super H combo - but I'm getting higher quality foods and better choices. I was a bit impressed with Whole Foods ability to match the grocery store spices on meat, eggs and vegetables - Dairy was more expensive and nevermind dry goods and vegetables.

I will probably still keep Super H in rotation, since they carry the Asian vegetables and fruits I eat on a regular basis. I will probably stick with Kroger for the dry goods and household supplies (until Wal-Mart opens), and definitely use Whole Foods from now on for meat, eggs and the usual vegetable suspects.

The place where I'm torn is Dairy. Kroger is the only place that carries my preferred brand of cottage cheese (Daisy). And that's an important part of my meals. Publix has the heavy cream and half and half that I trust (another important part of my meals) and both have them at workable pricepoints.

I'm kind of annoyed at the prospect of having to cover 4 different stores to get my needs met. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM

16 posts, read 55,276 times
Lived in Tucker / Norcross area until late 2013. Grew up a big Publix fan, but K-roger's frequent Manager's Specials and closeout prices managed to sucker me into becoming a regular customer. Publix' deli and bakery kick K-roger's ass, though I saw some improvement in the local K-roger bakeries in the past few years. For price on similar quality shelf items, K-roger gets the nod.

Self-checkout is nice, but lack of self-checkout isn't gonna deter me from frequenting a store.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:26 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Many of the Kroger manager's specials are for food that is near its expiration date. Just make sure you have time to use it before it spoils.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:34 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
What I'm saddened about is that the Vinings Kroger (the one with rooftop parking on Atlanta Rd) used to have almost everything on sale with a "Manager's Special" sticker, and that isn't happening anymore. Maybe they fired the manager.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:08 AM

305 posts, read 416,800 times
Kroger = Steady, low prices, same deals, overall slightly less expensive
Publix = Random, different sales on different foods, overall slightly more expensive

My sis is a vegan, so we use both accordingly, when I just wanna grab something or get my usual I go Kroger. If I wanna experiment or see whats on sale at Publix with a food I didnt try yet, or one I really like but is usually more expensive at Kroger, but sometimes goes on sale at Publix, I go Publix.

Oddly, some Kroger locations have more vegan friendly foods, while some publix locations have more, like the one in Buckhead.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
I used to say that I would take Ingle's any day. But... had my first trip to Sprouts yesterday! Now, that was a treat!

Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I used to say that I would take Ingle's any day. But... had my first trip to Sprouts yesterday! Now, that was a treat!
Really? Which one did you go to? I've been dying to try it, but it seems like there's a masonry failure near me because they haven't successfully put two bricks together with some mortar in between them to finish the new Sprouts nearest me.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:23 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Probably the new one in Peachtree Corners since that is down the street from him.

I've been to the one in Snellville. Great prices on meats and fruits/vegetables.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:22 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Probably the new one in Peachtree Corners since that is down the street from him.

I've been to the one in Snellville. Great prices on meats and fruits/vegetables.
Thanks! I did not realize any had actualy opened.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Thanks! I did not realize any had actualy opened.
Dunwoody and Snellville opened about a month ago.

Peachtree Corners just opened yesterday. If you are going for a visit, I advise you to go early or late in the evening because Snellville location was still packed 2 weeks ago. It was pretty tame last Friday though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta