Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
Can't get to the details behind the paywall, but yesterday the City Council unanimously approved the use of eminent domain to acquire 10 parcels related to the Enota Park project.
As much as I hate to see people being forced by the government to give up elbow room, it sounds like the Westview community is behind this. I assume they know what's in the best interest of their community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Art on the Beltline is underway and several new pieces of artwork are in place or in progress. Including this one: On the Beltline near Candler Park. Made from glass and other odds and ends - Imgur (Link title gives the wrong location, it's actually under the Freedom Parkway bridge, very close to the skateboard park.)

Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
As much as I hate to see people being forced by the government to give up elbow room, it sounds like the Westview community is behind this. I assume they know what's in the best interest of their community.
I'd rather see a new park "forced" on them than empty, neglected lots that are there now. I doubt these lots are being taken from anyone who lives in Westview anyhow. I don't see why they wouldn't be for it.

I think it serves the landowners right. Contribute to the community, sell the land or be forced out. Too many people are allowed to get away with having neglected, dangerous properties in Atlanta. I think we could use eminent domain on a good bit of abandoned houses and lots in Atlanta.

Or do we let landowners rights ruin the quality of life that land occupants experience?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
The parcels are inaccessible from any road, I-20 cut they off.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 AM

Ron Shakir raises a valid concern about the Beltline expansion leading to gentrification.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Art on the Beltline is underway and several new pieces of artwork are in place or in progress. Including this one: On the Beltline near Candler Park. Made from glass and other odds and ends - Imgur (Link title gives the wrong location, it's actually under the Freedom Parkway bridge, very close to the skateboard park.)
It will be bad when someone wobbles off track on a bike, flips over the wires and faceplants in that pile of broken glass. It's fairly easy for a kid(or adult) to wreck and that's right next to the trail.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I'd rather see a new park "forced" on them than empty, neglected lots that are there now. I doubt these lots are being taken from anyone who lives in Westview anyhow. I don't see why they wouldn't be for it.

I think it serves the landowners right. Contribute to the community, sell the land or be forced out. Too many people are allowed to get away with having neglected, dangerous properties in Atlanta. I think we could use eminent domain on a good bit of abandoned houses and lots in Atlanta.

Or do we let landowners rights ruin the quality of life that land occupants experience?
Well, there are several dimensions to it.

For instance, who decides whether you have contributed enough to the community and whether you should be forced out?

What if you like privacy and don't want a public trail in your backyard with no telling who walking down it at all hours of the day and night?

What if you are intentionally holding the land for the long term?

What if the government takes your land and turns it over to a private developer?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
It will be bad when someone wobbles off track on a bike, flips over the wires and faceplants in that pile of broken glass. It's fairly easy for a kid(or adult) to wreck and that's right next to the trail.
Has Arjay hijacked your account?

I walked by there the other day. The wire that ropes it off is several feet off the trail and then there is a buffer zone of a few more feet before you get to the sculpture. Any kid who falls in there is willfully misbehaving and unsupervised and any adult who falls into it is drunk or high. If you're not joking, take it up with the organizers.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM

My responses are in bold

Quote:
Well, there are several dimensions to it.

For instance, who decides whether you have contributed enough to the community and whether you should be forced out?
In this case, the community did. I think if a house has been empty for two decades or land neglected for just as long it's fair game
What if you like privacy and don't want a public trail in your backyard with no telling who walking down it at all hours of the day and night?
The Beltline is happening whether they like it or not. If they don't, they can sell at a huge profit once it's complete.
What if you are intentionally holding the land for the long term?
They need to take care of it long term. If they can't do that, the right that citizens have to a safe community should come first.
What if the government takes your land and turns it over to a private developer?
In this case they aren't. In other cases, I really wouldn't care if it were local developers who were actually going to use the property. They could just offer empty lot in SW Atl for free to anyone willing to build and occupy. Why not? We should put people who want to live here before people who just want to turn a profit. These absentee landowners don't care about the community.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I think if a house has been empty for two decades or land neglected for just as long it's fair game
Whoa! Think of all the lots in Midtown, Buckhead and downtown that have been vacant or neglected for decades. Why can't the owners simply wait until the market is right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta