Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:21 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times

Advertisements

How is the place still open, every time I walk buy its just people standing around on that entire block

These are 4 videos that has surfaced over the last week or 2 on what security guard has to go through and the City of Atl wonders why people dont want to come down to the 5 points area when videos like this are on line.

Security Guard attacked by Black Woman - Taser Used (1 of 4)

Security Guard attacked by Black Woman - Taser Used (1 of 4) - YouTube

Security Guard Receives Death Threats - Defends Himself (2 of 4)

Security Guard Receives Death Threats - Defends Himself (2 of 4) - YouTube

Security Guard Chases away Drug Dealers from Mall (3 of 4)

Security Guard Chases away Drug Dealers from Mall (3 of 4) - YouTube

Security Guard Darien Long stops Drug Deal in its Tracks (4 of 4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyp4mbXJ_90

Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
This guy is internet famous. I watched a video of him just talking about the problem he faces working security in that area. He makes the very good point that here lies this hotbed of crime just a couple of blocks from the county's justice buildings, city hall, and the state capitol.

It truly is pathetic that Atlanta has chosen to tolerate crime in that area. How hard would it be to clean up South Downtown?!? It is the missing piece of the puzzle to many problems in Atlanta. Want to make Underground a more popular attraction - clean up South Downtown. Want to improve downtown Atlanta's perception of crime and homelessness - clean up South Downtown. Want to make Atlanta more attractive to tourists and residents alike - CLEAN UP SOUTH DOWNTOWN.

Geographically, there is no reason why that area need to be such a craphole. Bordered on the North by downtown, the West by Castleberry Hill, and to the East and South by interstates. It's not like South Downtown is totally surrounded by ghettos. This should be an easy fix. One that would bring about a whole lot of residual benefits. South Downtown has a TON of potential for housing and nightlife.

Why has the city not attempted to actively patrol for crime in the area? I know Atlanta, and many cities, have a tendency to turn a blind eye to crime and tolerate it in certain areas, but why there?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:59 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

Why has the city not attempted to actively patrol for crime in the area? I know Atlanta, and many cities, have a tendency to turn a blind eye to crime and tolerate it in certain areas, but why there?
While this thread has a shelf life of about 5 minutes, I'll add my two cents to this specific point:

The people you see the security guard dealing with in these videos are only small pawns in a much larger game. Does anyone really think such a market for crime and drugs could exist in such an open place if it wasn't allowed to exist? It is a bit of an open secret that the actual police assigned to that area are paid worker bees of the mob (yes THAT mob), whom in turn own many of the buildings and "turf" in that section of Downtown.

So yes, there is a lot of irony in how such a place could exist literally in between the State and Federal government complexes Downtown. Also nothing will change until some one has the juevos big enough to go after the real source of all of this trouble.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Ok, that is very interesting waronxmas, but do you have any sort of proof? Where did you get that info? I'm not questioning you in a disrespectful way, it is just something I have never even heard hinted at.

The problem in that area should be an easy one to tackle.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Ok, that is very interesting waronxmas, but do you have any sort of proof? Where did you get that info? I'm not questioning you in a disrespectful way, it is just something I have never even heard hinted at.

Jimmy Hoffa told him.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Let's just say I know several people very well connected with in the City of Atlanta/Fulton County criminal justice/government.

Think about it this way: Why is such an obvious problem so hard to fix? If all it took was clearing out the riff raff, it would have happened yesterday. Unless of course there was a compelling reason not to clean up the area.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
I feel terrible for those kids. Having worthless subhuman pieces of filth for mothers does not bode well for their futures, or for the futures of anyone who crosses their path.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Let's just say I know several people very well connected with in the City of Atlanta/Fulton County criminal justice/government.

Think about it this way: Why is such an obvious problem so hard to fix? If all it took was clearing out the riff raff, it would have happened yesterday. Unless of course there was a compelling reason not to clean up the area.
So is it the court system? Or high ranking officials being drug kingpins? Or does someone want to drive the property values really low to buy it up at a bargain?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
So is it the court system? Or high ranking officials being drug kingpins? Or does someone want to drive the property values really low to buy it up at a bargain?
From what I've heard it's more along the lines of "take this large pile of money and look the other way". I also imagine there is a large amount of interest among the owners of the vast sea of open air parking lots that is South Downtown to keep things exactly as they are.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I also imagine there is a large amount of interest among the owners of the vast sea of open air parking lots that is South Downtown to keep things exactly as they are.
Why? I am sure they would love to be able to sell their lots to a developer for a healthy profit / have more people coming into the area and needing a place to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta