Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 15,311 times

Advertisements

I live in South Fulton County and wonder how do I find out where the storm warning sirens are located in my neighborhood. I am in zip code 30349. Can someone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,196 times
I'm not sure if all of the sirens listed are working (they have some in downtown Atlanta, but I don't think they actually go off during warnings - somebody correct me if they know otherwise). I also don't know if privately owned sirens are listed because I know Georgia Tech and Emory have tornado sirens, but they don't appear on this map. I've looked for siren locations in the past, and this was the best source I could find for Georgia.

https://sites.google.com/site/georgiatornadosirens/

Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Default Tornado Sirens in Atlanta South Fulton County

Thank you for your reply. I went to the recommended website but didnt find ANYTHING for South Fulton County. WOW! I tried emailing someone at the Contact Us email address but got a "Mailer Failure" Message. The email address is no longer good. Is there someone else I can contact?

Thanks again,

Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I'm not sure if all of the sirens listed are working (they have some in downtown Atlanta, but I don't think they actually go off during warnings - somebody correct me if they know otherwise). I also don't know if privately owned sirens are listed because I know Georgia Tech and Emory have tornado sirens, but they don't appear on this map. I've looked for siren locations in the past, and this was the best source I could find for Georgia.

https://sites.google.com/site/georgiatornadosirens/
That's a nice site. I know the Cobb sirens are close enough to us that they usually wake me up when they go off (like they did this past week when the storms came through the metro).

Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,394 times
Try this one?

Atlanta-Fulton County Emergency Management

Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibilou View Post
Thank you for your reply. I went to the recommended website but didnt find ANYTHING for South Fulton County. WOW! I tried emailing someone at the Contact Us email address but got a "Mailer Failure" Message. The email address is no longer good. Is there someone else I can contact?

Thanks again,
Yeah, the site might be a little outdated, but it's all I saw that is out there for the state as a whole. Are you sure there are sirens in south Fulton? They might not be listed on the website because there is nothing there.

If you have heard them before, maybe it was from a private school or university? Like I said, I don't think those are listed on that website. I am pretty sure Atlanta/Fulton County do not provide a tornado siren system (although I really think they should, especially considering the amount of tourists walking around downtown without easy access to severe weather information). There are some old ones on top of buildings, but I don't think they are in working order.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That's a nice site. I know the Cobb sirens are close enough to us that they usually wake me up when they go off (like they did this past week when the storms came through the metro).
I wish there were sirens like that in Atlanta. Anyway, if you are worried about a lack of warning from sirens around your house, I saw a new warning app on the news this morning. I actually downloaded it because it does all the same things as a Midland Weather Radio (loud alarm followed by speaking detailing the warning), but it is much more precise. For example, if a tornado warning is issued for Alpharetta in northern Fulton County, the app doesn't sound an alarm for me unless the warning is also issued in the Atlanta city limits. That's a HUGE improvement - I hate being woken up when the warning is 30 miles from my house. If you have a smartphone (it's compatible with both Droid and iPhone), the app is called iMap Weather Radio. It's a little pricey for an app at $10, but it's cheaper than a Midland Weather Radio ($30) and does the same thing better. You can also set it to only sound the alarm for specific types of warnings, which is nice.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,251 times
FYI: they are tested at noon on the first Wednesday of every month ... which is in two days. If you are at home during that time you could go outside and listen for them just to see if there really is one that is close enough.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
If you have a smartphone (it's compatible with both Droid and iPhone), the app is called iMap Weather Radio. It's a little pricey for an app at $10, but it's cheaper than a Midland Weather Radio ($30) and does the same thing better. You can also set it to only sound the alarm for specific types of warnings, which is nice.
During the last round of storms I downloaded the free WSB Weather app for my iPad. It alerted me appropriately when the tornado warning came out for my area, but not for any of the others. The live feed on the app didn't really work well, but the radar and the alerting were just fine. You might want to try that before spending $10.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I will download the free app and check with my local fire department. Its a shame the counties have not made this a priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: