Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 27,185 times

Advertisements

The 3 schools we are considering for elementary are East Side, Mt Bethel and Sope Creek. Does anyone have good information comparing them? We are attempting to stay on the Dickerson/Walton feeder paths. What swim/tennis or neighborhoods are good in East Cobb for each of these schools? The further east in East Cobb the better for commuting but also want to be close some of the action at the Avenue and Target. What options are there in that area that are good for swim tennis or have a good neighborhood for kids....??

Thanks and let me know,
Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,117,533 times
Can't help you. All I want to say is that I hate that name: "Sope Creek" based on the "Sope" portion. It sounds like someone wanted to write "soap" and wrote "sope" instead. Couldn't they think of a better name? I get annoyed everytime I see the name of that school.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 PM

229 posts, read 471,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Can't help you. All I want to say is that I hate that name: "Sope Creek" based on the "Sope" portion. It sounds like someone wanted to write "soap" and wrote "sope" instead. Couldn't they think of a better name? I get annoyed everytime I see the name of that school.

Google is your friend. Do you think it was named for a detergent? Well, it wasn't. I tell you what...here is the Wiki article on it. A little history lesson never hurt anyone.

Sope Creek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As to the OP's original question, school digger will give you what you are looking for. These schools have been discussed and discussed and discussed. You will not go wrong in the east portion of the county.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 AM

550 posts, read 983,672 times
I actually didn't find school digger helpful at all. From what I recall these schools look practically identical on school digger.

My opinion:
My ds is at Mt. Bethel, he is in a small self-contained class but spends part of his day in the general ed class, so our experience there is not that of a typically developing student. The general ed teachers we have encountered seem to be professional, competent and caring. Parents seem to be very involved. The children in general are kind and supportive of my son with special needs. It is very big. (I personally attended an extremely small public elementary, prior to moving to East Cobb my kids had been at a tiny private Montessori school, so it was a big change). This is why I personally love Timber Ridge. The sheer number of people at Mt. Bethel for any event (back-to-school night etc.) is overwhelming. However, I am sure that if you got involved in your child's class and other activities at the school you would meet other parents and it wouldn't seem so big--also it isn't our neighborhood school--that would make a difference too.

East Side: I have heard only good things, spoke on the phone to the school psychologist there who was very helpful and very enthusiastic about the school. The new building is supposed to be great. I believe they have the largest relative population of Asian students (20ish %).

Sope Creek: I really don't know much--I have a friend who is happy with the school.

I think you probably wouldn't go wrong with any of them, and for us it ended up being where we found the house we liked. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 AM

550 posts, read 983,672 times
OK,
So again, I would encourage you to consider Timber Ridge/Dodgen or Dickerson/Walton. It is basically the same exact area, imo no significant difference in schools, and it prob. wouldn't add to commute. The neighborhoods off of Little Willeo are in a good location, also along Roswell there are neighborhoods that would appeal. Like any of them from the intersection of Johnson Ferry towards Roswell. Oh also Indian Hills. You shouldn't have any trouble finding something nice.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,024,797 times
Check out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for school ratings. I have a previous client that has a child in Sope Creek and they have had no complaints.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:46 PM

268 posts, read 631,323 times
I had 3 kids go through Sope Creek. It was a really great experience for all of them. The school has a private foundation that is able to fund little extras that not every school has, but the big plus is the top notch faculty.

I have no direct experience with Mt Bethel, but I believe it's very similar, including a foundation modeled after the one at Sope Creek. Sope Creek is probably a bit more diverse than Mt Bethel.

One downside to Sope Creek is the size - extremely large for an elementary school.

I can't tell you anything about Eastside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: