Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:01 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,028 times

Advertisements

Everyone, I'm investigating housing deals (foreclosures and short sales) in Vinings and North Buckhead.

It seems that Vinings has an advantage of Cobb County taxes while still being relatively close to Buckhead. Whereas Buckhead has higher taxes. Is that right?

Is it possible to easily and quickly take back streets from Vinings to Buckhead? Or is it Sandy Springs that puts one more into a back street drive to Buckhead type of situation? Thinking of getting close to Buckhead for the perks without some of the cost.

What is the vibe of North Buckhead? Mostly retirees, mostly young families? Religious and racial diversity?

And, of course, the school question. If one were to land in the Sarah Smith school district, would that be a better bet than say Teasley, which serves Vinings? I imagine Campbell middle and high are much better than North Atlanta and the corresponding middle school given that Campbell high appears to be an IB magnet school with tons of kids from all over the world (as least from the literature it seems that way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,424,581 times
Sarah Smith is arguably one of the top 3 elementary schools in the state.

Buckhead (Fulton) and particularly City of Atlanta (Sarah Smith) are going to have ownership costs much higher than properties in Cobb. For starters, property taxes are very high in City of Atlanta vs just Fulton vs Cobb. Then, wait until you get your first water bill ...some good sticker shock there.

What about Brookhaven? Same or shorter distance into Buckhead. Check out the Dresden corridor. Dekalb Co, also much cheaper than City of Atlanta.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Thanks ATLGolfer. All of the talk of the issues with Dekalb county schools scare me a bit.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 02-07-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 PM

104 posts, read 420,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Everyone, I'm investigating housing deals (foreclosures and short sales) in Vinings and North Buckhead.

It seems that Vinings has an advantage of Cobb County taxes while still being relatively close to Buckhead. Whereas Buckhead has higher taxes. Is that right?

Is it possible to easily and quickly take back streets from Vinings to Buckhead? Or is it Sandy Springs that puts one more into a back street drive to Buckhead type of situation? Thinking of getting close to Buckhead for the perks without some of the cost.

What is the vibe of North Buckhead? Mostly retirees, mostly young families? Religious and racial diversity?

And, of course, the school question. If one were to land in the Sarah Smith school district, would that be a better bet than say Teasley, which serves Vinings? I imagine Campbell middle and high are much better than North Atlanta and the corresponding middle school given that Campbell high appears to be an IB magnet school with tons of kids from all over the world (as least from the literature it seems that way).
I would also say Vinnings over Buckhead. Teasley and King Springs are supposed to be top notch. Cobb Co taxes are much cheaper. I live in Sandy Springs now and it is very close to Buckhead, it is really just down the street. I lived in Vinnings before moving here and I loved being so close to 285 and 75, you can get anywhere pretty quickly. I have heard good things about Sarah Smith but not so great on the middle school-I think it is Sutton. Again- just what I've heard as far as the schools, not from personal experience.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,750 times
Just an FYI - when the new North Atlanta High opens next year, the old campus will be converted into a new middle school to help with overcrowding at Sutton Middle.

Vinings is an easy commute into Buckhead.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,614 times
Go visit both schools. Sarah Smith is known to be a better school than Teasley, but there are plenty of sharp kids whose parents care about education going to Teasley. Have not heard good things about Campbell Middle or High, but again, I know a few kids there and seems like there is a core group of motivated kids that do well. Actually, I'm hearing better things about Sutton Middle. And at North Atlanta, there are definitely a bunch of motivated kids going to great colleges every year from there--but it can be a rough place and APS is very corrupt. You really have to go and see if it's what you want. Re:Vinings, if you are talking true Vinings (outside the city, inside the perimeter), you will have great low Cobb taxes. You will also find that many of the kids (including elementary) are going to private schools. This is true for all but a few streets that I can think of in true Vinings. During rush hour, Paces Mill and Paces Ferry coming in to/out of Buckhead do get backed up, but you just have to time it right. There is also the Atlanta Rd/Moores Mill back way in to town. I think that if you want to use the public schools with your neighbors, you may be happier in Sandy Springs.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 AM

403 posts, read 619,351 times
A lot of people Sarah Smith and the other buckhead elementary schools head to private school come middle school. The Dekalb schools that service Brookhaven are terrible and not really an option. The better Dekalb elementary schools are in Dunwoody e.g. Vanderlyn, Austen etc. They feed into Peachtree middle and that doesn't have a great reputation so a number of folks opt for private at that point as well.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,614 times
Yes, Campbell has an IB program w/ some great students, but it pulls from all sorts of neighborhoods, and it isn't a Walton- or Wheeler-type school, if that is what you are looking for. It is more comparable to North Atlanta High. PeteATL41 is right, many kids from Buckhead elementaries go private for middle/high--but NOT all.

There is not just one vibe to North Buckhead...it varies from neighborhood to neighborhood, street to street. Obviously there are a lot of huge estate homes, then you'll find neighborhoods like Roxboro and Meadowbrook that have average and smaller homes for singles and young families. Meadowbrook is interesting as it is 1/2 in the city, 1/2 not, I believe.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,424,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteATL41 View Post
A lot of people Sarah Smith and the other buckhead elementary schools head to private school come middle school. The Dekalb schools that service Brookhaven are terrible and not really an option. The better Dekalb elementary schools are in Dunwoody e.g. Vanderlyn, Austen etc. They feed into Peachtree middle and that doesn't have a great reputation so a number of folks opt for private at that point as well.
Montgomery is a very good school for the record. That is not tradition "Brookhaven", but it is now and do not want to confuse anyone that may not be familiar with the area.

I've heard Ashford Park Elem has come a long way.

If you have younger kids, this area is going to miles away from where it is now with the infill going on in Ashford Park and other nearby areas.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 PM

Thanks AtlJan. What do you mean when you say a Walton or Wheeler type of school? And wasn't sure what "but it pulls from all sorts of neighborhoods" means. Please expound. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Yes, Campbell has an IB program w/ some great students, but it pulls from all sorts of neighborhoods, and it isn't a Walton- or Wheeler-type school, if that is what you are looking for. It is more comparable to North Atlanta High. PeteATL41 is right, many kids from Buckhead elementaries go private for middle/high--but NOT all.

There is not just one vibe to North Buckhead...it varies from neighborhood to neighborhood, street to street. Obviously there are a lot of huge estate homes, then you'll find neighborhoods like Roxboro and Meadowbrook that have average and smaller homes for singles and young families. Meadowbrook is interesting as it is 1/2 in the city, 1/2 not, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta