Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Adjacent property owners are lining up for annexations and rezonings, no surprise. But the domino affect of this is still rather mind boggling. An historic game-changer for Fayette County.

http://thecitizen.com/articles/02-27...ing-1099-acres

Pinewood Studios equals major economic benefits | The Citizen
That second link compared the impact of the studio to the KIA plant in LaGrange.

Still anxious to get the SCAD campus confirmed. So nice to finally be excited for the future of Fayette County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Default booster

Quote:
You obviously don't read the Citizen. Publisher Cal Beverly has been feeding his band of a angry white guy bloggers with front page doom and gloom stories for years.
So true, and it is what; two, maybe three "writers" with the same view points? The horrbly slanted viewpoint is one of the first things I noticed about the local Citizen when I moved to the area several years ago. All of the Coweta boosting and Fayette bashing - absolutely ridiculous!! Fayette county is decidedly upscale, pleasant and hardly on any type of decline.

I honestly think some of those writers must be a part of some bizarre subversive pre-Civil rights segregationist booster club!!

As a whole, I have never seen such a diverse and welcoming community as Fayette County.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Quote:
Adjacent property owners are lining up for annexations and rezonings, no surprise. But the domino affect of this is still rather mind boggling. An historic game-changer for Fayette County.

http://thecitizen.com/articles/02-27...ing-1099-acres

Pinewood Studios equals major economic benefits | The Citizen
Such great news for the county!!!! Sandy Creek road will forever be changed. Not really a fan of the new SPLOST road annexation or whatever they just did to split off Sandy Creek, but obviously it was needed.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Such great news for the county!!!! Sandy Creek road will forever be changed. Not really a fan of the new SPLOST road annexation or whatever they just did to split off Sandy Creek, but obviously it was needed.
Here's what gets me: All the people who were so adamantly opposed to the transportation T-Splost that paved the way for all the changes to Sandy Creek Road are now singing the praises of the improvements that made that made the land desirable to the studio people! It's just total hypocritcal BS! For years, people have moved to Fayette County and immediately opposed any and all change that makes it grow beyond what THEY discovered it to be. Until and when that change benefits them in a very tangible way ($$$) then they're all for it!

BOTTOM LINE: If a community is not moving forward, growing, and expanding in positive healthy ways -- IT IS DYING! In recent years, elected leadership in Fayette County (and particlularly PTC) has led it down a road that would rather see it "die" than evolve with the times. THANK GOD this studio project came along and woke people up to the potential future of Fayette County. I don't know what would have happened without it.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
Here's what gets me: All the people who were so adamantly opposed to the transportation T-Splost that paved the way for all the changes to Sandy Creek Road are now singing the praises of the improvements that made that made the land desirable to the studio people! It's just total hypocritcal BS! For years, people have moved to Fayette County and immediately opposed any and all change that makes it grow beyond what THEY discovered it to be. Until and when that change benefits them in a very tangible way ($$$) then they're all for it!

BOTTOM LINE: If a community is not moving forward, growing, and expanding in positive healthy ways -- IT IS DYING! In recent years, elected leadership in Fayette County (and particlularly PTC) has led it down a road that would rather see it "die" than evolve with the times. THANK GOD this studio project came along and woke people up to the potential future of Fayette County. I don't know what would have happened without it.
I for the most part agree with you. But I have to take exception to the idea that residents are coming around to the West Bypass / Veterans Parkway. I haven't seen anything stating that the new road was a major factor in deciding to locate in Fayette. I really don't see why it would be. It's a small two lane road that only connects to the interstate via a couple of back road short cuts. (Now hopefully they will put an exit at 92 one day, but it seems like that idea gets shot down everytime its brought up.)

Point being, nobody is sitting around praising the road. People still have very negative memories of the use of eminent domain for what still seems to be a rather unnecessary road. But hey, I would be happy to be wrong the road's role in landing the studio and possibly SCAD. I'm just happy that some good is brewing on the southside.

Now if we could have just approved the J-PODS concept....

Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 PM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
So--

Is this Pinewood thing officially definite? Or, is there still a chance that this could be a no-go?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
So--

Is this Pinewood thing officially definite? Or, is there still a chance that this could be a no-go?
Word in Fayette County is, it was a done deal before ever announced. They really dotted their I's and crossed their T's on this one (in secret no less). All the permitting / rezoning / annexation / sewage line requirements are routine at this point. Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) is opposing this -- which may be a first in the history of Fayette County.

As long as the financing remains in place, it's a done deal. It's likely not going to happen on the grand scale as originally announced but in phases. But something IS going to happen.

My biggest worry is not with Fayette County but that some idiots in the Legislature will try to do away with the tax incentives and kill the momentum.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:49 AM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Word in Fayette County is, it was a done deal before ever announced. They really dotted their I's and crossed their T's on this one (in secret no less). All the permitting / rezoning / annexation / sewage line requirements are routine at this point. Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) is opposing this -- which may be a first in the history of Fayette County.

As long as the financing remains in place, it's a done deal. It's likely not going to happen on the grand scale as originally announced but in phases. But something IS going to happen.

My biggest worry is not with Fayette County but that some idiots in the Legislature will try to do away with the tax incentives and kill the momentum.

OK--thanks.

So, finger-crossing is still needed.

Let's hope/pray for the best.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:

Maybe this will be up and running by the time I have the kids grown and can return to Georgia and find gainful employment there. Can't think of a better opportunity than working in the film industry and being on my own soil at the same time. Now to start tweaking that resume.....

Old 03-08-2013, 03:19 PM

15 posts, read 17,698 times
That is great news for GA as whole.

I can just see it now, the new James Bond movie being made in Fayette County....."I'll have Moonshine, shaken..not stirred"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta