Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times

Advertisements

It isn't cost free going forward either. Aren't the cost estimates upwards of $100million just to maintain it. $200 million for a new stadium and getting the $70 million owed on the dome looks like a bargain.

It doesn't seem fair but this is one of the best stadium deals ever in terms of how little taxpayers are paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Why can't the current stadium attract a Super Bowl...oh wait, it did. Or a MLS team? Seriously! What is wrong with the current dome that warrants replacement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
It will attract new development. That's something the Dome hasn't done.
I don't understand. If the Dome hasn't attracted new development, why will a new stadium that holds FEWER people do it? Development comes where people are, not where a retractable roof is.

Quote:
Also the Dome will be demolished which will allow Vine City to continue it's path towards revitalization.
Vine City isn't on a path towards revitalization. For about 5 seconds at the height of the boom it looked like it might, but that fizzled. They can't even figure out what to do with empty houses everywhere, how are they going to handle a big empty concrete slab, or whatever is left behind when they demo the dome?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't understand. If the Dome hasn't attracted new development, why will a new stadium that holds FEWER people do it? Development comes where people are, not where a retractable roof is.

Vine City isn't on a path towards revitalization. For about 5 seconds at the height of the boom it looked like it might, but that fizzled. They can't even figure out what to do with empty houses everywhere, how are they going to handle a big empty concrete slab, or whatever is left behind when they demo the dome?
I'll explain both of these to you ten years from now on the yacht I'm buying with money from investments in Vine City and South Downtown

Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 AM

210 posts, read 455,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
It will attract new development. That's something the Dome hasn't done. Also the Dome will be demolished which will allow Vine City to continue it's path towards revitalization. It could attract a Soccer team, a Super Bowl or a World Cup.
Or a gignormous surface parking lot for the new stadium, à la Turner Field. Would that I could share your optimism.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
I'll explain both of these to you ten years from now on the yacht I'm buying with money from investments in Vine City and South Downtown
Yeah, good luck with that!!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
They can't even figure out what to do with empty houses everywhere, how are they going to handle a big empty concrete slab, or whatever is left behind when they demo the dome?
When the plan is announced it will include what to do with the space left over from the old Dome.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So you think investors will see that it holds less people and just decide not to develop anywhere near it? Development doesn't go where people are, it goes where they are going. Downtown today is a much better investment than Vine City was over twenty years ago.

That was a different boom, we are not at the height of this one. That was before we knew the dome would be demolished and the lot redeveloped. It will be and anything will be better for the neighborhood than a stadium. That was before Mims Park was announced, before the Westside took off and before we saw the eastside trail spur a wild west style land grab. Just three days ago the city approved funding Atlanta's first "bike boulevard." It's going to be in Vine City. I know it isn't happening yet but that neighborhood is on a path towards revitalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta