Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
All of that sounds sensible to me.
True. What about all of unincorporated south dekalb? Leave it as such? Have Atlanta annex the area out to 285?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
True. What about all of unincorporated south dekalb? Leave it as such? Have Atlanta annex the area out to 285?
I don't know. Luckily, not my problem to solve.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Lithonia, Redan, Panthersville.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Lithonia, Redan, Panthersville.
Let's carve out an area between Lithonia and Panthersville and have Snapfinger, GA. Love that name.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:24 PM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Let's carve out an area between Lithonia and Panthersville and have Snapfinger, GA. Love that name.

DeKalb County--

Dunwoody, Brookhaven/North Atlanta, "Lakeside," Druid Hills/Emory, Gresham Park, Constitution/Intrenchment Creek, and a small arm reaching down Glenwood would be annexed by the City of Atlanta.

The rest of DeKalb would incorporate into cities and the county could then maybe combine with Rockdale.

The incorporated cities of DeKalb:

Chamblee (expanded)
Doraville (expanded)
Tucker
Decatur (expanded)
Avondale Estates (expanded)
Smoke Rise (or maybe as a part of Tucker)
Clarkston (expanded)
Stone Mountain (expanded)
Redan
Lithonia (expanded)
Arabia Mountain
Snapfinger
Soapstone Ridge (would encompass Panthersville, Cedar Grove, Rainbow, Candler-McAfee, Ellenwood-in-DeKalb, River Road, etc.)

Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
DeKalb County--

Dunwoody, Brookhaven/North Atlanta, "Lakeside," Druid Hills/Emory, Gresham Park, Constitution/Intrenchment Creek, and a small arm reaching down Glenwood would be annexed by the City of Atlanta.

The rest of DeKalb would incorporate into cities and the county could then maybe combine with Rockdale.

The incorporated cities of DeKalb:

Chamblee (expanded)
Doraville (expanded)
Tucker
Decatur (expanded)
Avondale Estates (expanded)
Smoke Rise (or maybe as a part of Tucker)
Clarkston (expanded)
Stone Mountain (expanded)
Redan
Lithonia (expanded)
Arabia Mountain
Snapfinger
Soapstone Ridge (would encompass Panthersville, Cedar Grove, Rainbow, Candler-McAfee, Ellenwood-in-DeKalb, River Road, etc.)
I like it all with the one exception of Sopastone Ridge. Never heard that name before. Panthersville is a cool name and one of the oldest communities in the county. I found one old map that had Panthersville before there was an Atlanta.

Conyers is a good prospect for consolidation with its county. The others in the metro area would be Douglasville/Douglas and Cumming/Forsyth.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 PM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I like it all with the one exception of Sopastone Ridge. Never heard that name before. Panthersville is a cool name and one of the oldest communities in the county. I found one old map that had Panthersville before there was an Atlanta.

Conyers is a good prospect for consolidation with its county. The others in the metro area would be Douglasville/Douglas and Cumming/Forsyth.
Hello My Brother Marks--

First, some reading/viewing for you:

Soapstone Ridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.mindspring.com/~bbelton/zoning/soapmap.jpg

DeKalb Locales

http://www.co.dekalb.ga.us/planning/soapStone.swf

http://www.co.dekalb.ga.us/planning/...oapStnFcts.pdf

Soapstone Ridge - Georgia Geological Attractions and Destinations

Soapstone Ridge District, Boy Scouts of America | Serving the Scouts of southern DeKalb County, Atlanta Area Council

http://georgiarocks.us/dekalb/images...ersvilleRd.jpg

The reason I chose Soapstone Ridge for the name of a new city in this part of DeKalb County is because Panthersville is for a smaller, more specific area. "Soapstone Ridge" covers a broader area and it can still have significant subsets/large neighborhoods within the city known as Panthersville, Cedar Grove, Rainbow, etc. I like Panthersville, but Soapstone Ridge is also beautiful name. If the historic ridge/natural area is adequately preserved, the new city would have a great natural feature to go along with its name--just like Stone Mountain, GA; Snapfinger, GA; and Arabia Mountain, GA.

If a new city in this part of DeKalb is not named Soapstone Ridge, GA--then, I would propose that the name be South River, GA.

As for consolidating Douglas/Douglasville, Conyers/Rockdale, and Cumming/Forsyth--no! I think the boundaries for those cities should be greatly expanded, but the rest of the counties should be incorporated as other communities as well.

For example, for Forsyth County:

Cumming, GA
Big Creek, GA
Matt, GA
Drew, GA
etc.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,197 times
Boundaries revised for proposed Lakeside city

"Organizers examining whether to carve a new city out of DeKalb County have changed the boundaries for the proposed town.

Under the changes, Lakeside would take in the mostly residential area of Sagamore and Leafmore, as well as parts of more commercial Toco Hills.

Removed from the city, expected to have about 60,000 people, is the commercial gem of Century Center at I-85 and Clairmont Road as well as the nearby neighborhoods of Clairmont Terrace and Dresden East.

Lakeside City Alliance leaders said the map is still subject to change, as organizers solicit donations to pay for a cityhood study..."

More information: Lakeside City Alliance.

Boundaries revised for proposed Lakeside city | www.ajc.com

Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Boundaries revised for proposed Lakeside city

"Organizers examining whether to carve a new city out of DeKalb County have changed the boundaries for the proposed town.

Under the changes, Lakeside would take in the mostly residential area of Sagamore and Leafmore, as well as parts of more commercial Toco Hills.

Removed from the city, expected to have about 60,000 people, is the commercial gem of Century Center at I-85 and Clairmont Road as well as the nearby neighborhoods of Clairmont Terrace and Dresden East.

Lakeside City Alliance leaders said the map is still subject to change, as organizers solicit donations to pay for a cityhood study..."

More information: Lakeside City Alliance.

Boundaries revised for proposed Lakeside city | www.ajc.com
Cherry picking boundaries.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Seems like a pretty sensible setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta