Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 AM

10 posts, read 99,130 times

Advertisements

Hi to all,

I am a 30 year old married mother of 3. We are looking into moving from Miami to Atlanta in the next 2 to 3 years. I am looking for an area that has great schools all around meaning elementary, middle, and high schools in a very good neighborhood. Also I am looking for an area with a very low crime rate, and my price range is no more then $350,000. I welcome any information. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 AM

483 posts, read 2,093,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post
Hi to all,

I am a 30 year old married mother of 3. We are looking into moving from Miami to Atlanta in the next 2 to 3 years. I am looking for an area that has great schools all around meaning elementary, middle, and high schools in a very good neighborhood. Also I am looking for an area with a very low crime rate, and my price range is no more then $350,000. I welcome any information. Thanks
That should be possible. What you didn't mention was quality of life, and that is going to hinge on where you work. More specifically, how much of your life is wasted commuting from home to work. If you have a job in mind, what part of town? If not, what type of work will you be looking for? That might help people to narrow down your choices. Also, do you (or your kids) require daily mall fixes? Can't live without 24-hour pizza delivery? Rather ride horses than play video games? - Those kind of things.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM

Sorry for not giving alot of information. I'm looking to move to a very diverse location possibly lawrenceville. Are there any good schools in lawrenceville? My kids will be attending elementary, middle, and high school. I am planning on working from home doing home coding/billing with my current employer, but if I was to change jobs I would be working in a hospital so something preferrably not too far from a hospital, and my husband is into accounting so something to accomodate his commute as well. Also a nice neighborhood is also a must. Are the taxes high in Lawrenceville? How's the crime rate in lawrenceville and what other locations would you suggest that's in my price range of $350,000 with all of the above mentioned qualities?

Last edited by purplerain; 10-22-2007 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: forgot to add additional information

Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 PM

340 posts, read 1,577,032 times
Quote:
Hi to all,

I am a 30 year old married mother of 3. We are looking into moving from Miami to Atlanta in the next 2 to 3 years.
Atlanta changes rapidly. Things maybe different 2-3 years from now. You need get new inputs by then.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:00 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times
LMAO....Haven't you heard? We're running out of water! You may want to go up a little bit higher and check out Tennessee.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:04 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,821 times
Quote:
Sorry for not giving alot of information. I'm looking to move to a very diverse location possibly lawrenceville. Are there any good schools in lawrenceville? My kids will be attending elementary, middle, and high school. I am planning on working from home doing home coding/billing with my current employer, but if I was to change jobs I would be working in a hospital so something preferrably not too far from a hospital, and my husband is into accounting so something to accomodate his commute as well. Also a nice neighborhood is also a must. Are the taxes high in Lawrenceville? How's the crime rate in lawrenceville and what other locations would you suggest that's in my price range of $350,000 with all of the above mentioned qualities?
I wouldn't particularly suggest Lawrenceville. Crime rates in Gwinnett look high.
You can compare various counties here:
georgia.gov - Crime Statistics Search (http://gbi.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,67862954_87981396_90656469,00.html - broken link)
There are lots of other counties with better rates, and I think you both could find work easily enough. Price is not a problem.

Now, as to diversity. I'm guessing you desire that for your kids, right?
Well, where I live we do not have diversity - there aren't any gangs for the kids to join,
and the minority kids at school mostly have parents who are doctors, lawyers, teachers, city councilmen, and such. Hardly a gang-banger in the bunch.
Like I said, hardly any diversity. Kids who grow up here won't even know what colors not to wear when they go to LA. Won't know they can't grow up to be somebody.
May not even be taught that they're 'selling out their race' by having friends of different colors.

On the other hand, by diverse you mean good mexican, thai, etc food, well, that we got.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 PM

What I meant by diversity is an area with different races. My kids are interracial and I want to move somewhere that's comfortable for my family not anywhere that's going to be hard for my family to fit in and be judged constantly. I know there will be people that will not except my kids, and may not except my husband and I as well, but I want to move somewhere that have a mixture of people not just one class or race. I don't think I'm better then anyone and I wouldn't judge anyone by the way they look, what they do for a living or what kind of car or house they have. I also mentioned in my previous post that I was looking for somewhere with a low crime rate so I wasn't referring to my kids joining a gang, but it was a very nice joke. ha!ha!ha!

Last edited by purplerain; 10-22-2007 at 07:47 PM..

Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 AM

60 posts, read 68,609 times
You might want to look at Marietta too. A little more pricey than Lawrenceville, but there are some great areas in Cobb County. Atlanta's not as diverse as Miami, but interracial families will be fine throughout the whole city. In all, I think the quality of life is much better in Atlanta compared to Miami. (I've lived in both places).

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Well, where I live we do not have diversity - there aren't any gangs for the kids to join,
and the minority kids at school mostly have parents who are doctors, lawyers, teachers, city councilmen, and such. Hardly a gang-banger in the bunch.
Like I said, hardly any diversity. Kids who grow up here won't even know what colors not to wear when they go to LA. Won't know they can't grow up to be somebody.
May not even be taught that they're 'selling out their race' by having friends of different colors.

On the other hand, by diverse you mean good mexican, thai, etc food, well, that we got.
What part of Georgia do you live in?

Last edited by Pinkangel07; 11-04-2007 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: wrong spelling

Old 05-27-2008, 05:22 PM

6 posts, read 20,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
I wouldn't particularly suggest Lawrenceville. Crime rates in Gwinnett look high.
You can compare various counties here:
georgia.gov - Crime Statistics Search (http://gbi.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,67862954_87981396_90656469,00.html - broken link)
There are lots of other counties with better rates, and I think you both could find work easily enough. Price is not a problem.

If that wasn't your typical white racist remark, I don't know what is! Can you really be that ignorant to put that down, read it and think it is acceptable for people to view? I invite you to come up to Maryland and say that in one of our HIGHLY DIVERSE, WELL OFF, NON-VIOLENT, NON-GANGBANGING, 50/50 MIXED neighborhoods. It sounds like you are feeling threatened because minorities are surpassing you on quality of life. I hope every one of your neighbors moves and is replaced with families of all minority. Will you move?Who the hell says that "diverse" is Mexican and Thai food?! I have never in my life felt like I was selling out my race by having ALL African American friends, or even by dating, marrying, and having children of minority. Perhaps you should question how you'd feel to be surrounded by African Americans, Latinos, or even Asians who degraded you and your children daily. What type of life would that be for you?? Making comments like you did here out in public could devastate a young child, for life! If you're okay with that you are guaranteed to burn. Go to church and pray about it. If minorities are gangbangers that you are doing a favor by letting your kids play with them, then I guess that means you live in a trailer park, isn't that how these stereotypes go??? Grow some wisdom, because I guarantee the youth of today do NOT see black and white until someone tells them there is a difference. People like you with the racial stereotypes and smart comments will be infuriating minorities to the point they will start killing people because they are tired of hearing it, and I won't blame them, no one deserves to live being tormented because of what they happened to be born with. Do you make fun of cripples too?? How about the mentally retarded? You are trash, do Atlanta a favor and don't post anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta