Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the core of english avenue (the "bluff") is so far gone that i can really see why the people you talked to believe that. i don't know if you ever got in there or not, but it is like a third world country. however, as soon as you get out of that 10 square block area, it becomes a lot easier to see restoration in the next 10 years. even along ashby street, there are some impressive homes that even now are in good condition. on sunset avenue in vine city, there are a couple of grand homes that are at least from the late 1800s, however they are not in good condition.

Quote:
right around ashby station, things are looking up. for the first time in forever, westside village actually has a grocery store. they've built row houses and there are a couple of cool restaurants there. however, i have only been there by car. i didn't get outside the ashby station today, i have to admit i was scared. i was the only white person there and i got quite a few stares. the clincher was when i was riding up the escalator, there was a man with his two sons behind him, when he saw me get on the escalator he told his kids to come on up in front of him while staring at me. it bothered me, so i got back on the train and left. i can see why he might do that, though— the only reason white people tend to go in that area is for heroin. he probably didn't want me around his kids for that reason. either way, though, it bothered me that his reaction was so kneejerk, i figured if i went out and started walking down lowery that somebody would try to sell me drugs, so i left.

either way, though, this area has been discussed a whole lot and i guess i kind of meandered around in my OP, but i didn't necessarily to start a discussion about the whole neighbourhood again, but two things in specific— maddox park, where the rail line ends, and how it could be incorporated into the beltline/westside park, and secondly i am very curious why ashby station has the unusual layout it does.
I live 2 blocks south of the Ashby train station off Lowery. I also have some other investments in the area.Its really not that bad.Im actually surprised that you felt so uncomfortable.I mean I understand it but its not necessary.I have had and still do have a few white students live with me now.They have at worst been pan handled.On a few occasions.I have noticed more whites moving in the areas over the last 2 years.I even see a white woman jogging with her baby carriage in the morning.Yes I must admit even I was like wow first time I saw her.

Now English Ave......well that is a MUCH different story.Would not ever catch me walking around in that area.Black or white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
why can't we have neighbourhoods in atlanta where poor and rich, white and black folks can live together?
Those areas do exist, south of DeKalb. Kirkwood, Edgewood, East Atlanta, Reyonoldstown, and East Lake. White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian all live in the same neighborhood. Doctors, lawyers, professors, techies, teachers, mechanics, retired, etc. all live in peace.
Quote:
I even see a white woman jogging with her baby carriage in the morning.Yes I must admit even I was like wow first time I saw her.
Double take!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You've got some really nice neighborhoods out that way.

Westview is cool and some of the areas around the golf course are charming. Those are some of my old stomping grounds.

Westview Atlanta | An Historic Atlanta Bungalow Neighborhood
Haven't checked out that area yet. Looks nice from the website.

I have been through some of the neighborhoods around the West section of the Beltline. Made me want one of these houses just West of the tracks.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=30303...49.76,,0,-0.74

I sometimes wonder what would happen if a young non hipster white guy like myself just moved to an area like that. It looks nice, well kept, but there is no diversity in the area. I don't want to have to stick to myself, I want to get to know my neighbors and be friendly. The prices are nice and the location can't be beat. Anybody have experience doing this?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:58 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Haven't checked out that area yet. Looks nice from the website.

I have been through some of the neighborhoods around the West section of the Beltline. Made me want one of these houses just West of the tracks.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=30303...49.76,,0,-0.74

I sometimes wonder what would happen if a young non hipster white guy like myself just moved to an area like that. It looks nice, well kept, but there is no diversity in the area. I don't want to have to stick to myself, I want to get to know my neighbors and be friendly. The prices are nice and the location can't be beat. Anybody have experience doing this?
Not much diversity but there are more than a few young white couples in that area also.I have lived mostly in wealthy white neighborhoods all my life until now.What I have found is that people are people.If you TRY,they will respond positively.If you go into a place and voluntarily separate yourself then people will be suspicious and think the worst.
It also helps to actually care about the community.Not just an investment.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I suspect you'd be pleased in a neighborhood like Westview. I'm not sure what people mean by "hipster" but that isn't my impression of the folks who live around there. They are just normal, everyday folks who like living in an older, up and coming neighborhood. It's right on the Beltline and has a strong sense of community.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I remember talking to some of my friends about this, specifically a friend who owns a few section 8 rental units in the area. I talked about a possible turnaround for this area, and people who know and understand this area much more intimately than I ever could said the same thing: don't count on it in your lifetime.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 PM

110 posts, read 154,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I live 2 blocks south of the Ashby train station off Lowery. I also have some other investments in the area.Its really not that bad.Im actually surprised that you felt so uncomfortable.I mean I understand it but its not necessary.I have had and still do have a few white students live with me now.They have at worst been pan handled.On a few occasions.I have noticed more whites moving in the areas over the last 2 years.I even see a white woman jogging with her baby carriage in the morning.Yes I must admit even I was like wow first time I saw her.

Now English Ave......well that is a MUCH different story.Would not ever catch me walking around in that area.Black or white.
maybe she was an undercover cop trying entrap people, lol jk. I was visiting Detroit once and was told there are no white people in the area I was in but then I noticed many white people jogging with headphones on and I was confused at first. I was always told there are no white people in College Park but I actually know some who live there and they actually love it there. The south side of Chicago is interesting, too, as it is majority black but then there are Polish people there. I was told the whites you see on the southside are almost always Polish and they seem to get along well. Detroit is similar, too. You have majority African-American areas such as seven mile but then there are Iraqis there, too. I don't know if it has to do with income, but you bring poorer whites, blacks, etc in one area and they seem to get along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta