Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacollins View Post
Considering a move to Atlanta. I currently live in Fairfax county, VA, a suburb of DC. I am a special education teacher and while I love the school that I work at now, I just feel I need a change or a new start. Additionally, Atlanta's cost of living is also very enticing. As a single mom, I am not really making enough money to enjoy DC the way I would like. Ideally, I would like an area with good daycares (my son is 3) and schools. I would also like to work at a school similar to what I have now...minimal behavior problems and very involved parents. I am not concerned about making less money as the cost of living should balance out. I have been trying to convince my boyfriend to make the move to Atlanta as well, but he is afraid to leave his current job (he is a licensed HVAC tech), yet he also realizes that the DC metro is no longer providing access to the lifestyle he wants either. Does the move to Atlanta seem like a good idea and if so, what are the best areas and districts that I should apply? I'm thinking that since I teach Sped I should be able to find a job fairly easy. Is this correct? Your advice is greatly appreciated as the move to Atlanta is a serious consideration for me right now.
If you're seriously thinking about teaching, I'd go ahead and get started with the certification process. It is long, but doable, if you aren't already certified. This should get you started.

Put out a wish list of what kinds of things you definitely want, and things you kinda want if possible, and we can help you narrow locations down. This is a very, very diverse metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 AM

492 posts, read 790,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Christ. My point is that a MUCH SMALLER TOWN has a better "downtown" than Inman Park. Atlanta is unique in that its ITP neighborhoods are like small villages. As such, I'm comparing one "town" of 18,000 to Inman Park. Morristown, NJ, is comparable to Decatur in population; it's smaller in size. All I'm saying is that that "suburban town" is more urban in many ways than Inman Park: more walkable, better transit to a bigger city, more options in terms of living and housing.

You're right: Inman Park is about comparable to a sleepy town in Pennsylvania. Difference being, Inman Park is part of Atlanta. I'm not complaining. The point is that Atlanta is not all that "urban" when it comes down to it. That's why there's all the talk of density. And transit.

And good God, if I could find a good Italian restaurant, I'd be eternally grateful.
You move back to NYC. Most people check places out to see if they fit before they move.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 AM

163 posts, read 431,129 times
Quote:
You move back to NYC. Most people check places out to see if they fit before they move.
Dude, I think I said several times that I like it here. I did check out the place. I moved here for a phenomenal job. This is not a complaint by any stretch of the imagination. All I was doing is saying that Inman Park isn't nearly as built out as other places I've lived; comparisons aren't complaints. Take a pill.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 AM

150 posts, read 252,346 times
Ellada328 I am sorry that things didn't work out and praying that it gets better. Thank you so much for posting.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,215,929 times
Jobs are NOT plentiful in Atlanta and if you are a single black woman, you better believe you are very highly likely to remain single. It is not at all uncommon for single black women to go without dates in the city for years at a time. One of my girlfriends who just moved from here lived in Atlanta 8 years and never went on a date the entire time she lived here. You talk to any single black woman in Atlanta and most if not all of them will tell you that they don't have boyfriends or have not dated in years.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 AM

70 posts, read 96,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Jobs are NOT plentiful in Atlanta and if you are a single black woman, you better believe you are very highly likely to remain single. It is not at all uncommon for single black women to go without dates in the city for years at a time. One of my girlfriends who just moved from here lived in Atlanta 8 years and never went on a date the entire time she lived here. You talk to any single black woman in Atlanta and most if not all of them will tell you that they don't have boyfriends or have not dated in years.
Wow that's harsh.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 AM

21 posts, read 28,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Not too sound rude, but from what I was told from folks I know who are currently living in Atlanta(not singled), many many black men in Alanta are gay. They are good looking and educated but they live Gay/ bi sexual Lifestyles.

Please don't yell at me, it's not my speculation, it's from the locals. Of course their are those who are not gay.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msh0146 View Post
Unadulterated nonsense.

I love Atlanta, but recommending a move here - with a child - withOUT employment lined up in advance is absurd and completely irresponsible.
She will be fine, stop being negative nancy and be supportive. I support her move and hope she enjoys Atlanta.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Dude, you need to note sarcasm when you use it. Regulars know that the above is sarcasm; visitors might not.
I was being honest and positive from my point of view. Its just my honest opinion. Who peed in your cereal?

Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM

70 posts, read 96,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
She will be fine, stop being negative nancy and be supportive. I support her move and hope she enjoys Atlanta.
Agreed I feel she will feel like its coming home. Just be weary of the areas outside of Atlanta though!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta