Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times

Advertisements

Proton treatment center set to break ground
Quote:
After years in the making, the Georgia Proton Treatment Center will begin to take shape in Midtown later this month.

Crews will break ground on the state-of-the-art radiation therapy center, which will go on 2.3 acres at 615 Peachtree St., and could be completed by 2015. It is a joint venture including Emory University and Advanced Particle Therapy LLC of San Diego.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...-to-break.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
615 Peachtree would be the middle of the Ptree / North Ave intersection.....

Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Isn't that the site of the cool old First National Bank building that was demolished by Cousins?

It was a real loss to fans of mid-century architecture.

615 Peachtree Street Building Demolished « DOCOMOMO/US, Georgia Chapter News

Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
There are fans of that style of architecture?

You'll always have Peachtree Center and Lenox Towers!

Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
There are fans of that style of architecture?
Oh, yeah, I'm sure you read the DOCOMOMO website. A lot of people view those buildings as modern landmarks. They love stuff like 615 Peachtree, the GT School of Architecture building, the old Atlanta Constitution building, the Peachtree Hills apartments, the Atlanta Cabana, etc.

There is a lot of history tied up in these old places, but I guess time marches on. We've never been very good a preserving our past here in the ATL.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:25 PM

32 posts, read 47,952 times
To be honest, I was hoping for a highrise to go in that spot...sigh...not very excited for this. Does it even come with first floor retail because based on the picture, it doesn't seem like it. That land was such a prime spot too for something big. The building that was there see to add to the urban experience better then this will...Why not just build this in the suburbs somewhere?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 PM

110 posts, read 154,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1992 View Post
To be honest, I was hoping for a highrise to go in that spot...sigh...not very excited for this. Does it even come with first floor retail because based on the picture, it doesn't seem like it. That land was such a prime spot too for something big. The building that was there see to add to the urban experience better then this will...Why not just build this in the suburbs somewhere?
Good point actually. I don't see why this would go there. I am a fan of more urban and Chicago style structures. That's something that Atlanta lacks for the most part. Them structures like in Philly, Chicago, DC, etc which give you the feel that you're in a big city. I even seen smaller towns have them and they were obviously built a long time ago but they are still beautiful. I would like to see more of that, more walkable areas, not just a couple here and there but places where one can walk on actual sidewalks with shops all around like they have in big cities. When I look at Atlanta, I see potential, and I see a city that has yet defined itself and doesn't know what it really is. Is it a city, or a suburb? Is it a city for open minded people or one for the opposite? A city just for familes which shuts down early and people live for church only or does it cater to everyone? I think the state is holding the city back and preventing it from becoming the city it can be. It has great potential, beautiful skyline, nice parks, trees, etc but it's just something missing. We should have more than just one little spot in Midtown where there is mixed-used development or a little spot here and there.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 PM

32 posts, read 47,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_GUY View Post
Good point actually. I don't see why this would go there. I am a fan of more urban and Chicago style structures. That's something that Atlanta lacks for the most part. Them structures like in Philly, Chicago, DC, etc which give you the feel that you're in a big city. I even seen smaller towns have them and they were obviously built a long time ago but they are still beautiful. I would like to see more of that, more walkable areas, not just a couple here and there but places where one can walk on actual sidewalks with shops all around like they have in big cities. When I look at Atlanta, I see potential, and I see a city that has yet defined itself and doesn't know what it really is. Is it a city, or a suburb? Is it a city for open minded people or one for the opposite? A city just for familes which shuts down early and people live for church only or does it cater to everyone? I think the state is holding the city back and preventing it from becoming the city it can be. It has great potential, beautiful skyline, nice parks, trees, etc but it's just something missing. We should have more than just one little spot in Midtown where there is mixed-used development or a little spot here and there.
Exactly, based on that picture, this doesn't belong on Peachtree...this 1-2 story building does NOT fit at all... It even has a 'garage like driveway'...this is such a terrible development in what is supposed to be the urban core of the city. The city advances, then takes a step back...always...Atlanta never fails to disappoint me.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:26 PM

110 posts, read 154,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1992 View Post
Exactly, based on that picture, this doesn't belong on Peachtree...this 1-2 story building does NOT fit at all... It even has a 'garage like driveway'...this is such a terrible development in what is supposed to be the urban core of the city. The city advances, then takes a step back...always...Atlanta never fails to disappoint me.
Definitely something that belongs in the suburbs. Maybe SS or something.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
At least some very good high paying jobs, will give the local restaurants a boost. I agree a tower would have been a beauty. However 200 million is being spent to build the new property. That is significance capital for a small building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta