Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times

Advertisements

When I moved to Atanta 3 years ago and went to the Sound Table on Edgewood, I was amazed at the potential this area has. It reminds me of a pre-gentri Williamsburg (BK). I agree that the area should be turned into a restaurant / artsy retail district, not a club district. Maybe restaurants that utilize the streetscape as well, fronted by big courtyards and/or sidewalk seating. Music playing, fun type of places that will drawing young and older. The more street activity, the safer that area will be. I've seen it happen in Billyburg, Fort Greene (Myrtle Ave), Meat-Packing District etc, there was a time these places were much scarier than the O4W or Auburn/Edgewood areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Edgewood would be ideal for a 24 hour party district. It's got great MARTA access, excellent access to freeways and arterials, and an existing street grid. Plus it's convenient to both downtown and Midtown, as well as student concentrations at AUC, Emory, GSU, Georgia Tech and Agnes Scott.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 AM

492 posts, read 790,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Thinking about this a little more, Atlanta now has 5 regions with a very high concentration of bars in walking distance of each other.

Buckhead triangle - 20+
Midtown, crescent ave. - 15+
Virginia Highland (from Amsterdam to freedom pkwy) 15+
Little Five pts 10+
Edgewood Ave 10+
Westside 10+

Also of note, our strip clubs are filled wall to wall every weekend.

I'm probably missing a place, but these areas are slammed with the coveted 18 - 30 (40 now?) demographic every weekend. If you go out on the weekends, you can see why we are building so many apartment complexes in town, there is a lot of local demand (kids that grew up in the burbs) and out of state demand to move in to the city and be closer to these areas.

How could you not mention East Atlanta Avenue? I guess because it caters more to the alternative crowd.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
I was on Edgewood Ave last night and I think this is my favorite club district in Atlanta. I went to Sound Table, Cafe Circa, BGE Lounge, Mom and to Joystick Game Bar. Sound Table has a restaurant on the second floor now. Nobody was on the second floor but the rest of the venue was packed. I think they should probably turn the second floor into an overflow room in the future. The new spot called Mom or Mother is cool. They have a bar on the first floor, an outdoor area and a dance floor on the second floor. It had a cool mixture of people. It has a MJQ vibe with no smoking. Joystick Game Bar expanded with a new space adjacent to it where you can sit down and play board games. BGE Lounge is also very nice with good food. Another new restaurant is suppose to open up in this area soon called Delightful Eatz. Atlanta nightlife has really diversified since the 90s.

I hung out in Midtown also last night. 12 and Midtown has really changed Midtown at night with the openings of Cafe Intermezzo and ROC. Midtown is starting to feel like a "real" city. I really wish they would hurry up and start on the next phase of that development. Even though I hate the apartment buildings that Novare has or is currently building in Midtown at least they will add additional food traffic in Midtown. Hopefully the parcel on the block north of STK will be built next.

Does anyone know what they are planning on doing to the spaces in next to the Buckhead Bottle Bar in the Buckhead Village? What about the space on the corner of E Paces Ferry and Peachtree Rd? It used to be Fuel and the World Bar back when Buckhead was really poppin.

I think having smaller entertainment districts scattered throughout the city is better than having 100+ clubs in one area. When you have a district with over 100 clubs it is going to attract the trouble makers. Generally now the clubs that cater to the troublemakers are mostly on Old National and in Dekalb County.

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 05-19-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
BGE Lounge
It's actually BQE, as in Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. I don't say that to nit-pick, but just in case someone was inclined to look it up on yelp or something. I haven't been in there yet, but I've walked by a few times on my way to work and it looks like a nice place.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:17 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
Auburn Ave is next. I already know of two lounges opening on Auburn Ave in the future. It's on the streetcar route and it has plenty of free parking spaces on those sides streets. It's so much potential for nightlife on that block. Nightlife to include bars and lounges. No mega clubs or strip clubs. It's this one abandoned 3 story building on Auburn that would be a perfect spot for a jazz restaurant. Im sure once those spots open other venues will open next

Old 10-19-2014, 10:28 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Auburn Ave is next. I already know of two lounges opening on Auburn Ave in the future. It's on the streetcar route and it has plenty of free parking spaces on those sides streets. It's so much potential for nightlife on that block. Nightlife to include bars and lounges. No mega clubs or strip clubs. It's this one abandoned 3 story building on Auburn that would be a perfect spot for a jazz restaurant. Im sure once those spots open other venues will open next
Cafe Circa has been close for at least two months now. Liquor licenses expired, but not sure why its taking them so long to open again.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Cafe Circa has been close for at least two months now. Liquor licenses expired, but not sure why its taking them so long to open again.
They reopen this week. M bar and Bar One are opening in Auburn Ave

Old 10-20-2014, 06:26 AM

253 posts, read 303,273 times
did guy on the first page really say something along the lines of AUC students hitting up "tanning beds" before "getting crunk" LOL WOW.

Anyways, many of my friends go to Edgewood to party. I don't drink nor is the edgewood scene my type of crowd so more power to them.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
did guy on the first page really say something alongTable, lines of AUC students hitting up "tanning beds" before "getting crunk" Edgewood

Anyways, many of my friends go to Edgewood to party. I don't drink nor is the edgewood scene my type of crowd so more power to them.
I don't drink. Drinking is not required when going out. The spots I go to are Sound Table, Joystick Gamebar, Cafe Circa, Harold's Chicken and Edgewood Speakeasy. Edgewood is for people who don't want to pop bottles and wait in line all night. Check out Joystick Gamebar if you want to go out but dont feel like dressing up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta