Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times

Advertisements

As a person who visits Atlanta 3 to 4 times a month, I've never understood the infatuation comparing Atlanta to northern cities or saying its little New York. Atlanta is a very well established southern city, the capital of the south, the way the south does big city. IMO it does it quite well.

If someone wants to live in a city with 30,000 people per square mile they should not move to Atlanta. Atlanta isn't made for that type of density. If it was, most people wouldn't be living there. What people fail to realize is densified urban cities are very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:47 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
BajanYankee, with all due respect, what is your point of going on and on about this? It almost comes across like you would want that to happen and are relishing the day that (in your mind, anyway) it does.

I can't imagine why anyone would want Atlanta to morph into a place like NYC or Philly, except for people from NYC and Philly, and that's probably because y'all have such a well earned reputation for wanting to take over everything that you touch and force it into the mold of your hometown because you have a built-in (and misplaced, if you'll excuse me for saying so) sense of superiority.

If you do, indeed, want Atlanta to turn into "Little Brooklyn" then I can assure you that you would be in the minority. The reality is that there are plenty of people who would probably be tickled pink if they never saw another transplant from "New Yawk" or "LawnGYEland" again.
Winning Post, this thread makes me want to buy some overall & a straw hat.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Basically. I'm not sure why people do this in the Atlanta forum.
Many Atlanta posters aka superfriends, kinda wear their emotions on their sleeves. I could name you several people here you will always get a rise out of, its part of why the Atlanta forum is so fun. The secret is getting out about this forum. I gotta say it gets pretty funny around here until Greg comes around. Its one of the few forums where if you post a strong opinion or question you will get a reaction.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 PM

492 posts, read 790,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Many Atlanta posters aka superfriends, kinda wear their emotions on their sleeves. I could name you several people here you will always get a rise out of, its part of why the Atlanta forum is so fun. The secret is getting out about this forum. I gotta say it gets pretty funny around here until Greg comes around. Its one of the few forums where if you post a strong opinion or question you will get a reaction.
So is that why you are here?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,126 times
Someone actually wasted time anonymously sending me this:

"Um, you should correct your post. ATL's population in 2010 was only 420. So fix it please or you won't be respected. God i hate Atlanta"

What an idiot.
That is so beside the point. 420 or 540, doesn't quite matter because the percentages are still the same... The info only came from the internet.
Some people are just idiots trying to nitpick at whatever because they have nothing better to be upset about.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Notice how BanjanYankee hasn't came back. Yeah, he got you all.
Read the whole thread, some great replies, interesting read even if the OP has not come back. Doesn't hurt to discuss "southerness" even if a troll started the thread with an inane premise.

The only thought I had that hasn't been expressed: Let's take the OP's premise that Atlanta will become "northern" (whatever that means). It won't last long. People will start leaving it like they are leaving the north now.

But that ain't gonna happen....

Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 AM

250 posts, read 563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
They would get their teeth knocked out if they started ridiculing the way we talk. We have a backbone. We will never conform to northern standards.
I like that. I would do the same...get their teeth knocked out!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Read the whole thread, some great replies, interesting read even if the OP has not come back. Doesn't hurt to discuss "southerness" even if a troll started the thread with an inane premise.
Hey, hey, hey. The premise is not "inane." Well, perhaps it is. But I started the thread because someone told me that transplants from the Midwest and California are "northern" and thus "northernize" the regions they move to. Given that premise (and given that Atlanta has a lot of transplants), it's only natural to ask if Atlanta has been "northernized."

Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Also, Just because people from the Midwest and North are moving down to Atlanta more than moving anywhere else, doesn't mean that the only people moving to Atlanta are all from the North and Midwest. Still, Atlanta also draws migrants from the West and other Southern cities, Especially the Gulf Coast.
Well, according to the person I was debating, the West also qualifies as the "North." Here's why:

During the Civil War, people in the Union were called "Yankees."

The "Yankees" were the "North."

California was a Union state. Therefore, California is a "Yankee" state and also a northern state.

The people who settled California were also from the North, which gives it "northern" culture.

So when people move from California to another part of the region, they are "northernizing" it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
This question is the same as asking "Is Los Angeles a Yankee city now?" because this stat was the same for LA back in the mid 1900s when everyone wanted to move from the Great Lakes region, and Northeast out far west... LA will NEVER become "Yankee" just because a few million new born in the NE residents have moved to it.
Again, they would argue that California is "Yankee," and in that sense really more "northern" than anything else.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
they would argue that California is "Yankee," and in that sense really more "northern" than anything else.
"they" would be wrong.

"Within the US it refers to people originating in the northeastern US, or still more narrowly New England"..."Outside the US it is used to refer to people from the US in general."
Yankee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta