Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 AM

137 posts, read 268,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I'm astonished. OP, it seems really risky to move a 6 month old baby, a small child an unemployed wife and yourself (also unemployed) with a few thousand. Gotta take into account the unexpected. For example, what if your wife's supply dries up and you have to go to formula? What if a landlord won't rent to you bc you are unemployed? What if the cost of living in Atlanta where schools are good (this is something that you are looking for per your post) is higher than where you live now? Maybe launch a multi-city search and move to the place where you can provide stability for your family. Atlanta will be here.

ETA: just saw a posting on here (another thread) about jobs opening at Ernst and Young in Alpharetta. Check it out.
LovelySummer,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You pointed out very valid concerns and I have analyzed and over-analyzed them all and came to your conclusian of very high risk. My decision is to visit for a month, get a cheap extended stay hotel, take a temp position immediately (if I can find one),while hunting for a fulltime gig. If it works out we then move, if not I move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Houston has the best economy in the country and is big in Meds. But I don't think you should move anywhere without a job waiting for you.
Thank you! I am also exploring Houston and Dallas. I have done many phone interviews in those places but none have translated to a job yet. I have phone-interviewed with Emory Healthcare & Piedmont and no translations to a job yet.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:32 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
I will co-sign with everyone else about not moving here without a job. My family moved to Dallas in December without jobs. They don't have the background you have and my brother found a job in Dallas after being there for only two weeks, my mom got a job there after only three, but they went there, stayed with friends or hotels and used a rented mail box for their address. If you are considering Dallas and since you are willing to relocate without a job, you'd probably be better off going to Dallas than coming to Atlanta in terms of finding work.

Jobs are pretty hard to get here. I have my third direct-hire interview this week after applying for jobs for four years in Atlanta. If this interview doesn't turn into a job, I will have no choice but to move to Dallas with my family because my mom can get me a job where she works paying more than what I would make in Atlanta.

The schools here are not good unless you live in the really wealthy areas (even then some of the schools still aren't that great) and with you not having a job and only a few months savings, your saving would go quick trying to afford a place for a family of four in the best areas with the great schools. You could find cheaper apartments in these areas but they will be small and in very old buildings without any amenities. As long as you can do without the bells and whistles and less space, you can manage. In parts of Buckhead you can find small two-bedrooms in old buildings for $745 to $900 a month and you will have to pay all utilities, including water which averages between $30 and $55 a month.

Unless you can get a job in advance, don't come here.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
LovelySummer,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You pointed out very valid concerns and I have analyzed and over-analyzed them all and came to your conclusian of very high risk. My decision is to visit for a month, get a cheap extended stay hotel, take a temp position immediately (if I can find one),while hunting for a fulltime gig. If it works out we then move, if not I move back.
EEK. The really cheap extended stay hotels are quick icky. Are you planning on bringing your family with you?

Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
I'm still not understanding how living in Atlanta without a job is any different than living somewhere else without a job.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM

492 posts, read 790,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I will co-sign with everyone else about not moving here without a job. My family moved to Dallas in December without jobs. They don't have the background you have and my brother found a job in Dallas after being there for only two weeks, my mom got a job there after only three, but they went there, stayed with friends or hotels and used a rented mail box for their address. If you are considering Dallas and since you are willing to relocate without a job, you'd probably be better off going to Dallas than coming to Atlanta in terms of finding work.

Jobs are pretty hard to get here. I have my third direct-hire interview this week after applying for jobs for four years in Atlanta. If this interview doesn't turn into a job, I will have no choice but to move to Dallas with my family because my mom can get me a job where she works paying more than what I would make in Atlanta.

The schools here are not good unless you live in the really wealthy areas (even then some of the schools still aren't that great) and with you not having a job and only a few months savings, your saving would go quick trying to afford a place for a family of four in the best areas with the great schools. You could find cheaper apartments in these areas but they will be small and in very old buildings without any amenities. As long as you can do without the bells and whistles and less space, you can manage. In parts of Buckhead you can find small two-bedrooms in old buildings for $745 to $900 a month and you will have to pay all utilities, including water which averages between $30 and $55 a month.

Unless you can get a job in advance, don't come here.
Sounds like we need to directing all these job seekers to Dallas.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,690 times
My friends have been able to score a FA contract job after looking for a few months, but the whole process from interview till employment will still take 2-4 weeks. If you have looked for a year in your area with little luck, your best bet is to try looking in another location. If you have the money and resource, maybe you can try to rent a room/beg to sleep at a friend's place in Atlanta while you search for a job before moving your family.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
EEK. The really cheap extended stay hotels are quick icky. Are you planning on bringing your family with you?
No. I will come on my own first and try to secure a job and then the family will come.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
No. I will come on my own first and try to secure a job and then the family will come.
I think you have the right idea. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM

100 posts, read 119,151 times
I moved here in 2009 without a job. I applied for jobs for months down here before I moved and nothing panned out. When I did get an interview I couldn't just jump on a plane for an interview (for a receptionist/office type of job).
I was unemployed for a long time already and finishing school (online so where I lived didn't matter). It was the smartest thing and stupidest thing I've done in my life.
It took me a year and a half to find a full time permanent job. I worked temp jobs and did some freelance stuff while searching for a full time job.
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta