Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times

Advertisements

Good North Fulton, go ahead and bring back Jim Crow and segregation laws also. Politically North Fulton is hiding behind the cost thing, but even Ray Charles can see what the true motive is. Why does North Fulton want to turn back to 1960's. A house divided will not stand, the day they started the North and South Fulton thing indicated the day of defeat, and regression for Fulton County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
I'm just wondering if they have a problem with the process itself, or do they have a problem with Arthur Ferdinand being in charge of the process?

This isn't some overnight thing here. These laws involving Fulton County collecting taxes has been around for decades.

Arthur Ferdinand just happens to be more efficient at collecting them. And the way AJC is ginning up the anti-south Fulton anti-Atlanta mood is quite a hoot.

There are problems that people have with government all over the metro Atlanta. South DeKalb keeps getting too garbage dumps or not getting a rail line in the 2012 T-SPLOST vote.

We also got cheated out of the Cities of Dunwoody & Brookhaven deals. Because in many states of the U.S.A. typically when an unincorporated area has a business district that was invested in by the whole county, that unincorporated area once it becomes a city, must have a some sort of shared revenue arrangement with the county it was formally a part of.

But that definitely was not the case for Georgia.

This state aggressively believes in allowing some groups to hoard wealth while denying it to others. Georgia in that respect doesn't change from its pre-1960s hardcore conservative days, that much is certain.

It sucks that the north Fulton taxpayers are going through their "pain" with Ferdinand. But everyone else in the metro is suffering even more. Some of us unfortunately, simply don't have "the right look" to be given that much needed attention by the state.

All I can is, thank the lord for the Voting Rights Act.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 AM

That mentality never went away.

Before the rise of the internet, our major daily coupled with the other local media simply kept any whiff of the old south antagonism under wraps. You know, that whole "City to busy to Hate" spiel and all. Everyone was in on the game, the Governors, state legislature, the Mayors, the local media...everyone.

And despite that a few regressive laws tended to crawl out of the Capitol every now and then, like the 1996 Merit system reformation which brought back cronyism in State government, or hampering MARTA's ability to grow...our state was able to do some great things to convince the world that Atlanta is an international player and not simply some typical southern backwater dump.

But that doggone ol' south mentality never went away though.

When the internet started kicking the butts of all the local media and pulled away most of the 30 somethings and younger audience, what did our local media do? They simply got rid of the more aggressively progressive editors, columnists, reporters, and anchors. And told anyone else who may have that tendency to turn it down, shut up, or find another job. And then refocused their attention towards the older babyboomers and retirees who can't seem to get the hang of that newfangled internet technology. And far too much of that crowd still never forgave the 1960s.

And Georgia's government in some respects, is complimenting the shift and pandering to old world grievances when Sonny Perdue got elected.

What the Reagan revolution was to America in the 1980s is I guess...what the "Perdue revolution" was to Georgia in the 2000s, if a person wants to simplify the explanation of Georgia's political and cultural shift down to a basic level. Our state simply got even more conservative presently than it already was.

And that's the voice that you're hearing. That's the voice that in some respects...for the sake of showing a "better light" to the rest of the modern world, was pushed to the side supposedly, all those years ago.

Now, the oldheads no longer need to be settled on hearing their anger in earnest on just talk-radio and a select few conservative media outlets. Now everyone is chasing this old-world anger, even CNN when it chose to drop Soledad O'Brien.

So I wouldn't be surprised by these latest developments if I was you. Don't waste your energy stressing on this issue.

Because this issue was in the making for some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Good North Fulton, go ahead and bring back Jim Crow and segregation laws also. Politically North Fulton is hiding behind the cost thing, but even Ray Charles can see what the true motive is. Why does North Fulton want to turn back to 1960's. A house divided will not stand, the day they started the North and South Fulton thing indicated the day of defeat, and regression for Fulton County.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-27-2013 at 05:46 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I'm just wondering if they have a problem with the process itself, or do they have a problem with Arthur Ferdinand being in charge of the process?

This isn't some overnight thing here. These laws involving Fulton County collecting taxes has been around for decades.

Arthur Ferdinand just happens to be more efficient at collecting them. And the way AJC is ginning up the anti-south Fulton anti-Atlanta mood is quite a hoot.

There are problems that people have with government all over the metro Atlanta. South DeKalb keeps getting too garbage dumps or not getting a rail line in the 2012 T-SPLOST vote.

We also got cheated out of the Cities of Dunwoody & Brookhaven deals. Because in many states of the U.S.A. typically when an unincorporated area has a business district that was invested in by the whole county, that unincorporated area once it becomes a city, must have a some sort of shared revenue arrangement with the county it was formally a part of.

But that definitely was not the case for Georgia.

This state aggressively believes in allowing some groups to hoard wealth while denying it to others. Georgia in that respect doesn't change from its pre-1960s hardcore conservative days, that much is certain.

It sucks that the north Fulton taxpayers are going through their "pain" with Ferdinand. But everyone else in the metro is suffering even more. Some of us unfortunately, simply don't have "the right look" to be given that much needed attention by the state.

All I can is, thank the lord for the Voting Rights Act.
-How do you know Mr. Ferdinand is more efficient in collecting?

-Considering the amount of taxes Dunwoody and Brookhaven paid to DeKalb. DeKalb received a nice return.

-You should be asking why cannot S. DeKalb and S. Fulton accomplish what N. Fulton and N. DeKalb has done, not looking for a handout.

-Wow keeping what you create is hoarding.

-You act as if only white cronyism exists. We all know there is plenty of black cronyism in DeKalb and Atlanta.

-The Atlanta City Council has fifteen members and only three are white. So the council is 20% white and the city is 36% non-hispanic white. Do I cry racism... no. There are no White Hispanics... oh my I need to call my attorney, my rights are being violated!

I fully believe minorities have the right to vote, but acting like because you are a minority you cannot get a photo ID. Oh please. You cannot do anything without a photo ID. How do they write checks, open accounts, buy liquor, travel, etc.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
I guess the question is whether one individual should personally profit from the tax collection process, or should the money go into government coffers. Since the county pays for the staff and technology for tax collection, why should the commissioner get additional personal fees on top of his salary?

Most people would probably not be happy if IRS agents operated on that basis.

There's also the issue of selling off liens to private investors. I know that's debatable -- some people argue if you are late on your property taxes, you are getting what you deserve.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 AM

The laws that govern Ferdinand apply to every other county tax commissioner in Georgia. He is simply more aggressive at it. Reform the laws for ALL of Georgia's commissioners, not just for the one.

TRUE equal treatment under the law will shut guys like me up very quickly. Otherwise, I and others like myself will never allow state governments like Georgia carte blanche to do what they want.

Because they simply have not earned that trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I guess the question is whether one individual should personally profit from the tax collection process, or should the money go into government coffers. Since the county pays for the staff and technology for tax collection, why should the commissioner get additional personal fees on top of his salary?

Most people would probably not be happy if IRS agents operated on that basis.

There's also the issue of selling off liens to private investors. I know that's debatable -- some people argue if you are late on your property taxes, you are getting what you deserve.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-27-2013 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: clearing the air

Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Really? Do you always have to bring race into everything?

How about black people start being successful and make money for themselves? There I said it.

This is no difficult from the Dunwoody school district. Don't be ignorant.

Go look at Detroit, LA, DC, New York, London. This is not something that racist redneck Georgians have going on. It isn't pretty, but it isn't exclusive to this area or state.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Really? Do you always have to bring race into everything?

How about black people start being successful and make money for themselves? There I said it.

This is no difficult from the Dunwoody school district. Don't be ignorant.

Go look at Detroit, LA, DC, New York, London. This is not something that racist redneck Georgians have going on. It isn't pretty, but it isn't exclusive to this area or state.
Have you been to Detroit or D.C.? Doubtful, if you are holding those places up as examples for Atlanta to live up to.

Besides that, I think that blacks (as a group) would love to start being successful and make money for themselves. So would most other groups of poor people.

If hard work were all it took then a lot of the problems that currently exist would not, but that is a discussion for another time.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
The laws that govern Ferdinand apply to every other county tax commissioner in Georgia. He is simply more aggressive at it. Reform the laws for ALL of Georgia's commissioners, not just for the one.
I agree with that. If the county is providing the personnel and infrastructure to collect taxes they should receive the money for it rather than private individuals who are already receiving a nice salary.

Apparently that is what this legislation proposes to do. It doesn't seem to be directed at Ferdinand only

A bill introduced this legislative session by state Rep. Lynne Riley, co-sponsored by five of her fellow Northside Republicans, aims to end the personal payments by removing Ferdinand and all Georgia tax commissioners from negotiating tables when cities want county governments to handle their tax bills.

See more at: Fulton tax chief may face pay cut | www.ajc.com

Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Have you been to Detroit or D.C.? Doubtful, if you are holding those places up as examples for Atlanta to live up to.

Besides that, I think that blacks (as a group) would love to start being successful and make money for themselves. So would most other groups of poor people.

If hard work were all it took then a lot of the problems that currently exist would not, but that is a discussion for another time.
It does take hard work. Do you have any idea how easy it is for black people to get into medical school and become doctors? There are millions of minority diversity programs out there for high school students up to senior citizens.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/appl...ethnicity.html

Meharry, Morehouse all these HBCUs and black people are still URM.

Minorities have no excuse. I thought it was all about fighting the evil suppressive white man? Quick complaining and start owning. Asians and Indians did it.

I feel like this is North Fulton v South Fulton.
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...-this-(replace this parenthesis with the s word)-meme.jpg

Besides, North Fulton is where all the wealthy businessmen, doctors etc. live. Johns Creek, Roswell, Alpharetta, Forsyth, Cobb area. That whole northeast metro is where we should hope all the people moving to Georgia want to go. We better make sure areas like that, Buckhead and Sandy Springs flourish, or else it's Honey Boo Boo and All my sugar babies for the decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta