Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 AM

60 posts, read 107,063 times

Advertisements

Hi
I read some of this forum but still not sure which part should i live. Commute is not a problem ,work will be at alpharetta. I heard good thing about it.it was my first choice but one friend who lives in milton says mi,ton is really good for schools and safety also he says suwanee is good too. So question is
Alpharetta, milton, suwanee and roswell,johns creek can u guys tell me which one is better,also i live in a suburb right now but also very close to mall and grocery stores,i dont want them too far ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,252,074 times
Really any of those areas would be fine. I live in Roswell so of course I would to recommend it to you. But we'll need more specific info to really help. Home, townhome, apartment or condo? Amount you can afford in rent? Will you need to take public transportation? Also, give us a couple "character traits" you want in your community and some interests that you have. Like I said any of those areas would make a good home for a family and shopping isn't hard to come by anywhere here. We will be happy to assist but I want to make sure we give you recommendations that fit what you want in a home.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM

100 posts, read 429,666 times
Any of the places you named are near grocery stores/malls and they are all great areas - quintessential suburbia. You say commuting is not a problem, but trust me as a fellow transplant - it is a problem. If you know where you will be working, try to stay within a few miles of your office if possible. Depending where you live, it could take 30 minutes to travel 5 miles during rush hour.

Your housing budget is also a factor. Milton is great, but the prices are also higher than other nearby areas.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 AM

924 posts, read 1,457,741 times
Most of those areas you won't feel too far from anything. Milton is possibly an exception as parts of it are still pretty spread out.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydowd View Post
Any of the places you named are near grocery stores/malls and they are all great areas - quintessential suburbia. You say commuting is not a problem, but trust me as a fellow transplant - it is a problem. If you know where you will be working, try to stay within a few miles of your office if possible. Depending where you live, it could take 30 minutes to travel 5 miles during rush hour.

Your housing budget is also a factor. Milton is great, but the prices are also higher than other nearby areas.

Good luck!
wowww 30 minutes for 5 mile I live in a university town in Illinois. and I am close to everywhere..I own a house here ,so I am gonna sell it obviously it is 3 bedroom 2 story quite a big one.I want to rent for 1 or 2 years to understand the area and Atlanta better,then depending on the job also if he is gonna like it( we are relocating because of my husband's job,) .My rental budget is max 1600 for a single family home.I cannot live in apt due to too noisy toddlers. Also it is better for families with the kid have a yard and etc... I looked rentals online an just 20 homes comes up in 15 miles radius of Alpharetta , which is less could not find a good one... Schools are important also.

So Generally speaking
1- budget 1600 single family home
2- best elementary schools
3- safety
4- close to mall and shopping centers, I dont wanna be bored all the time staying at home..
5-pool access is not a must but plus ,since everybody says summers are hottttttt
6- parks outdoors for kids..
7- have cars no public transportation
8- work at alpharetta
9-friendly people we are originally from europe so we are warm people like to host people and be friend with them

Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Really any of those areas would be fine. I live in Roswell so of course I would to recommend it to you. But we'll need more specific info to really help. Home, townhome, apartment or condo? Amount you can afford in rent? Will you need to take public transportation? Also, give us a couple "character traits" you want in your community and some interests that you have. Like I said any of those areas would make a good home for a family and shopping isn't hard to come by anywhere here. We will be happy to assist but I want to make sure we give you recommendations that fit what you want in a home.
thanks very much your answer make me smile cause i am thinking somebody is caring

Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananapie View Post
thanks very much your answer make me smile cause i am thinking somebody is caring
No problem at all. You'll find that many people here are very friendly and welcoming. Your best bet would be staying close to Alpharetta. The neighborhood Martin's Landing in Roswell has houses that fit your needs and price range. It also has an elementary school in the neighborhood and is close to the river and several parks. Roswell has much better parks than Alpharetta if that is important to you. You could find somewhere a little closer but I've always loved that neighborhood and I think you would too.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 PM

To ease my curiosity, where in Europe are you and your family from?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
To ease my curiosity, where in Europe are you and your family from?
Very very originally from Greece, that means Greek Turks..( once there are lots of Turks lived in Greece) we are from Turkey,and my grandpa and husbands side is from Greece also.

I will look into that neighborhood you mention ,I guess Roswell is a good place for families.I like parks,But here in Illinois summers are harsh..cannot go outside during afternoon,have to wait like 7 then sun goes down ...Humidity is a problem.. there is no shaded are at my backyard. we cannot use it although we have a backyard. So summers means staying at home ..blah... like winter staying at home again because of snowwww... I always wanted live in hot climate but not brutal of course..Spring and fall should warm for me . I love gardening .. So lots of info Back to business, I think we are gonna come and check the area at spring break although I believe we have to live the area to understand it.I have been in Illinois like 8 years and the city I live is a small city but If I know everypart of it maybe I could buy at a different area. but plus side is i don't lock my door here, so secure area...

Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,014 times
Hello bananapie,

I grew up in Roswell and have lived in Alpharetta and Cumming. Roswell, Alpharetta, Cumming, Johns Creek, Suwanee and Milton are all great places to live while raising young children. In general, the schools in North Fulton and South Forsyth are very good. Some of the highest test scores in Georgia are from the high schools in North Fulton and South Forsyth. There is lots of shopping and parks in those cities. In those cities, you won't be far from grocery stores, department stores, and the North Point Mall in Alpharetta. There is tons of shopping close to the residential areas. The single family homes range in price from high $100's or low $200's to well over $500's to a million. Like I said, I have lived in those areas for over 30 years and I love it here.

If you have any specific questions, ask away. I would be happy to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta