Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Erick is correct. The summer haze is caused by the high humidity we have here in the summer, not smog. High pressure systems will normally bring lower humidity, and the sky is blue again; until, of course, moisture from the Gulf reasserts itself.
If the haze was caused by smog, why wouldn't we have it year-round?
This is not true, Erick is wrong. Summer haze is a combination of smog and high humidity, but it IS actually smog. Mainly, what you are seeing are VOCs (volatile organize compounds), aka pollution from power plants, cars, etc. You don't see them during the winter, not because there is no humidity, but because it takes a combination of high temperatures, sunlight, and little wind to cause smog to form (the compounds react with other molecules in these conditions). Those conditions lead to temperature inversions in the atmosphere, meaning the air is not circulating up and down in the atmosphere. Basically, warm air is trapped near the ground rather than rising and mixing in the atmosphere, and when you have those basic conditions previously mentioned, smog will form. This is why you don't see smog in the winter months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
When did I say it didn't have smog?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
I don't know why they are jumping on you either. You didn't disagree with them. It happens to me too on here. The other day I noticed people doing that to arjay. It's like they see a thread title and automatically assume everyone posting is at the other end of the political spectrum.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't actually read the whole thread because with topics like climate change, I don't really believe there is a debate. In my opinion (supported by lots of work, reading of peer-reviewed publications, etc.) climate change is happening, so there shouldn't be a debate about it. It's like debating if Cell Theory isn't real, because it's "just" a theory. Same with the Theory of Evolution - it shouldn't be debated, but it is. That's how I look at climate change. (EDIT: Before I get pegged for saying it shouldn't be debated, yes, science in general should be debated. That's how we learn - maybe debate was a bad word to use, but I think you get my drift.) So, that's why my comment didn't argue anything about climate change, but rather comments about smog - smog formation can easily be explained in a few sentences.

Anyway, sorry if it looked like I was pouncing on you, i just read LovinDecatur's post and didn't look back to yours, which she was referencing. Sorry about that!

Last edited by CCATL; 03-05-2013 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Saving myself from causing another "debate"

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
This is not true, Erick is wrong. Summer haze is a combination of smog and high humidity, but it IS actually smog. Mainly, what you are seeing are VOCs (volatile organize compounds), aka pollution from power plants, cars, etc. You don't see them during the winter, not because there is no humidity, but because it takes a combination of high temperatures, sunlight, and little wind to cause smog to form (the compounds react with other molecules in these conditions). Those conditions lead to temperature inversions in the atmosphere, meaning the air is not circulating up and down in the atmosphere. Basically, warm air is trapped near the ground rather than rising and mixing in the atmosphere, and when you have those basic conditions previously mentioned, smog will form. This is why you don't see smog in the winter months.
Blahblahblah. Prove your assertion.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Blahblahblah. Prove your assertion.
I can't tell if this is a joke. Your public profile says you have a PhD. Smog formation is pretty basic environmental chemistry - you can google that term and you'll get a million hits that say what I said. With your education level, I'd think you easily have the skills to do very advanced research (lit reviews, etc. - not lab research unless that is your field) - google search should be easy. I'm not trying to be snotty, but I really can't tell where you are coming from.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
It doesnt matter how educated you are. You can still be niave and ignorant.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM

368 posts, read 539,329 times
Quote:
Your exact quote was "Much of that haze is natural." That is false. Most of the haze is human-produced smog. We're not fighting with you, we're just trying to point out your incorrect assumption.

LovinDecatur, maybe you didn't read my post about the scientific, peer-reviewed article that showed most of Atlanta's haze comes from humans? CCATL is right, it's very basic atmospheric chemistry, the kind of stuff you learn in intro classes. It's baffling that you think humidity is the main cause of Atlanta's haze, yet you have not provided one shred of evidence why you believe this.

http://www.epa.gov/airquality/visibi...e_20060426.pdf

You also might be interested in Chapter 7 of this report:
http://www.epa.gov/airquality/visibi...s/introvis.pdf

Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Your exact quote was "Much of that haze is natural." That is false. Most of the haze is human-produced smog. We're not fighting with you, we're just trying to point out your incorrect assumption.

LovinDecatur, maybe you didn't read my post about the scientific, peer-reviewed article that showed most of Atlanta's haze comes from humans? CCATL is right, it's very basic atmospheric chemistry, the kind of stuff you learn in intro classes. It's baffling that you think humidity is the main cause of Atlanta's haze, yet you have not provided one shred of evidence why you believe this.

Thanks for the report from the Environmental Protection Agency. I was actually running low on bathroom tissue,

Old 03-05-2013, 02:48 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post

I don't think "much" means most. You can have 1% of something gigantic, and it's still a whole lot. Yes, humidity can cause haze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta