Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM

110 posts, read 154,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Yes, I am nitpicking, but Texas has more counties than GA, 212 to 159. But being 4 times as large area wise has something to do with it. Georgia is second on the list but only the 21st state in land area, so this is a huge part of the problem we face today in GA, especially in burgeoning metro areas.
thanks for clarifying, and yes, it is a huge problem from what I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
You hit the nail on the head. It's not a swipe against local control, it is too much local control overlapping. Georgia counties are in the municipal service business and shouldn't be. All of built up metro Atlanta should be in a city limits of one city or another and counties should stick to basic county services.

My borough idea would eliminate Fulton and DeKalb counties altogether and be an independent city of Greater Atlanta with boroughs as the more local level of control. I guess let them exist in name only, for whatever nostalgia and history they would have, but no function as it were.
I'm not sure what the specific advantages of a borough system would be.

I agree that most of Fulton is now urban enough to get totally out of the city services business. If I'm not mistaken, all of Fulton county from its northern border down to the southern loop of I-285 is already in a city. So the county should totally back away from attempting to provide any city-type services there. Fulton county could be limited to courts, the sheriff, Grady and perhaps a few other responsibilities.

A lot of south Fulton is still pretty rural, however, so unless one of the cities wants to absorb that area the county government may be the best way to handle things.

DeKalb is a little more of a mixed bag, although the northern part is quickly becoming citified.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not sure what the specific advantages of a borough system would be.

I agree that most of Fulton is now urban enough to get totally out of the city services business. If I'm not mistaken, all of Fulton county from its northern border down to the southern loop of I-285 is already in a city. So the county should totally back away from attempting to provide any city-type services there. Fulton county could be limited to courts, the sheriff, Grady and perhaps a few other responsibilities.

A lot of south Fulton is still pretty rural, however, so unless one of the cities wants to absorb that area the county government may be the best way to handle things.

DeKalb is a little more of a mixed bag, although the northern part is quickly becoming citified.
What you list for Fulton County's job description should be the job description of ALL Georgia counties and that alone. If an area develops even to a suburban level, it should be annexed into a city or incorporate into a city. All of Gwinnett, Cobb, DeKalb, Clayton as well as Fulton fall into this category IMHO.

That is precisely the job description of a Texas county. If an area develops that needs sewer, water, etc, etc, it is in a city.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM

651 posts, read 1,562,450 times
i was recently annexed, its the WORST thing ever.

much slower police & fire response time. (vs fulton co)

higher property taxes

higher (and sub-par MANDATORY) sanitation service @ $490 per yr. (per lot) i own 2 lots.
(yet dont create much trash).

thats almost $1k per yr in extra taxes alone.

and very poor school system.

and yes i live near the mayors house.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
i was recently annexed, its the WORST thing ever.

much slower police & fire response time. (vs fulton co)

higher property taxes

higher (and sub-par MANDATORY) sanitation service @ $490 per yr. (per lot) i own 2 lots.
(yet dont create much trash).

thats almost $1k per yr in extra taxes alone.

and very poor school system.

and yes i live near the mayors house.
Do you just own these lots as investments?

Either way, this is an example of how their needs to be consolidation of city-county governments. A good chunk of your tax bill is still going to Fulton County, and what services are they providing that you now live in the CoA?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Do you just own these lots as investments?

Either way, this is an example of how their needs to be consolidation of city-county governments. A good chunk of your tax bill is still going to Fulton County, and what services are they providing that you now live in the CoA?
If the county is doing a better job of providing services than the city, why not simply let COA blend into Fulton county? I don't think there's anything inherently better about either a city or county.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
If the county is doing a better job of providing services than the city, why not simply let COA blend into Fulton county? I don't think there's anything inherently better about either a city or county.
Sure, call it whatever you want. I personally think that people as a whole would think that COA is doing a better job and identify with "Atlanta" better, but let the voters decide what you call it. But just eliminate the over lap. I still think there should be a borough system or something to allow local control on top of that though.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
But just eliminate the over lap. I still think there should be a borough system or something to allow local control on top of that though.
I'm still unclear on what the advantages of a borough system would be. What is that accomplishing other than adding another layer of bureaucracy?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I'm still unclear on what the advantages of a borough system would be. What is that accomplishing other than adding another layer of bureaucracy?
Eliminating duplicate services offered between the city and county. You can consolidate the area into one Atlanta county and have independent cities that cover all the area within the county if you like that terminology better. The point is that there would be a clear division of what services are handled by what entity. No over lapping of both county and cities having schools, sewer, water, garbage, bureaucracy, etc.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Eliminating duplicate services offered between the city and county. You can consolidate the area into one Atlanta county and have independent cities that cover all the area within the county if you like that terminology better. The point is that there would be a clear division of what services are handled by what entity. No over lapping of both county and cities having schools, sewer, water, garbage, bureaucracy, etc.
In what instances is Fulton county duplicating services provided by cities within the county?

If we're talking about the single biggest public expenditure -- schools -- the COA is a disaster compared to Fulton. And they don't provide overlapping services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta