Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

"In the wake of recent shootings, Atlanta Public Schools wants to put more police on campus by creating a school-run force.

The aim of putting officers on campus every day would be to more effectively prevent crime and defuse conflicts with words instead of weapons, officials say..."

Atlanta schools may create own police force | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Read the ajc story.

Since APS uses off-duty APD officers is it paying them all at the overtime rate? To be SRO at the schools, is that the reason there cost is $9.2million?

If APS does create its own force what do all the SRO's do the days when the kids are not in school? All Summer?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
Be very aware!!!

By that, I mean that the Bibb Co BOE has their own officers in the schools and they ultimately work under the direction of the superintendent. Crimes don't get reported, crimes aren't charged correctly, etc. That is what happened here in Macon. The BOE police dont charge for thefts or assaults that don't make the paper because the superintendent wants the numbers to look better than they really are.

As far as what they do afterschool, on weekends and the summer...patrol campus, work sporting events as security and such.

Did I mention it invites underreporting of crime and corruption...ok, just wanted to make sure! I seem to remember that APS has a history of leadership by corruption just like Bibb. I would run from this proposal. Your money is better spent on overtime for APD officers as opposed to giving poor leaders more power and money...

Campus police CAN be great, but autonomy from the whims and corruption of the school leaders is essential.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 03-04-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Be very aware!!!

By that, I mean that the Bibb Co BOE has their own officers in the schools and they ultimately work under the direction of the superintendent. Crimes don't get reported, crimes aren't charged correctly, etc. That is what happened here in Macon. The BOE police dont charge for thefts or assaults that don't make the paper because the superintendent wants the numbers to look better than they really are.
I don't know if you ever saw the episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent that had Viola Davis as a corrupt campus cop. Goren was suspicious of her early on, but she was a very cool customer. Chilling.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Be very aware!!!

As far as what they do afterschool, on weekends and the summer...patrol campus, work sporting events as security and such.

Did I mention it invites underreporting of crime and corruption...ok, just wanted to make sure! I seem to remember that APS has a history of leadership by corruption just like Bibb. I would run from this proposal. Your money is better spent on overtime for APD officers as opposed to giving poor leaders more power and money...

Campus police CAN be great, but autonomy from the whims and corruption of the school leaders is essential.
This. There needs to be a system of oversight. Hopefully that is included as part of this plan.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 AM

139 posts, read 231,663 times
As long as APS can take the same amount of money (or less) and provide the same (if not better) protection, this is a good idea to consider. Having dedicated officers who will be able to establish long termrelationships with staff and students beats the heck out of the current situation. Also, under this proposal, the officers would work solely for APS and won't have to put APD's priorities above APS'. Safety is a major concern for parents - and why many head for the 'burbs or private schools.

RE: underreporting of crime and corruption....why would it be any more or less than the current APD? It's pick your poison.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM

651 posts, read 1,562,757 times
they want to under pay the new cops vs APD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: