Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 PM

24 posts, read 55,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
You trying to see things in Alpharetta or Atlanta?
Mostly Alpharetta, but one reason we first started looking at it was its proximity to Atlanta - we would like to experience the city quite often as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:31 PM

Default Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
The first adjective that came to your mind to describe your current Wisconsin city to a population with no familiarity was "a very upscale community." This reveals what matters most to you. Your perceived identity is derived from material possesions. Alpaharetta is a similar place where people try to impress strangers who don't think of them and outduel each other in debt riden games of McMansions, European imports, nannies and private school. You'll fit in perfectly.

So....this is the second time I have encountered such rudeness on this site....you speak of people that actually sound a lot like you - judgmental and snotty. Apparently you know me so well that you know what matters most to me? My first choice was to move to South America and live frugally. My husband's business is based in Georgia, and he likes the state. I like the warm weather and the fact that Alpharetta is supposed to be a beautiful, very friendly town with lots of good schools, activities for kids, horse farms, shopping and so on. I describe Whitefish Bay as upscale because it IS and that is what best describes it, its what I'm used to. I do like that people there care about what they wear, how they act, and yes how successful they are, because not all success = materialism. I have no use for nannies, I'm at stay at mother, and have never knowingly had a 'european import'. I really could go on here, but I'm really serious about finding a nice place for my family to live. What is your purpose here? Just to judge and criticize me?

Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
In Alpharetta, your kids would love Wills Park, a cool, large fort and playground built by volunteers. Google Wills Park for directions and info. The Greenway is nice for you and the kids to walk/run around on (great for bikes, too). Northpoint Mall has a carousel on the top floor by the food court. Movie theaters near the Mall. Exit 9 off GA-400.

Alpharetta is not really a walking city--it's a suburb, but a very nice one. Lots of young families. Downtown Alpharetta has the "Taste of Alpharetta" and an ice cream festival, among other events. Around Halloween, they put up many scarecrow type decorations for several miles all along Alpharetta Hwy--very cute. Midtown Atlanta has the Center for Puppetry Arts. Wonderful muppet type puppets in the play and also a puppet museum. Of course, the Georgia Aquarium is fabulous and your kids will love being able to watch the big fish from floor to ceiling windows. You can order tickets ahead of time on-line.

We like On the Border Mexican--a chain but pretty good food. Village Tavern is good food, but maybe not for kids. California Pizza Kitchen has lots of kids eat there. There are tons of restaurants in and around Northpoint Mall. Also a number on Windward Pkwy. The new Avalon multi-use shopping area is being built at exit 10. Won't be done for months, though.

Try to move to a swim/tennis community when you buy a home. Swim team, tennis teams and most have playgrounds. You can meet other parents this way.

Ignore BelleIsleRunner's comments. Yes, Alpharetta has many upscale homes. But there are various price points on homes and you can find a neighborhood that will work for you. The trick is to get involved with other young couples with kids.

Good luck with your move. Be sure to find a mom's club when you get settled.
Thanks!!! I'm making a note of all of these things and am about to go look up 'Wills Park'. I did hear about the puppets! That sounds neat!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Alpharetta has no real downtown. There are currently less than 25 stores+restaurants there. The independent coffee/crepe shop on Main St closed recently. They now have a project going on to "re-build" their downtown. Neighboring Johns Creek where I live, and which is another sought after area has zero downtown, as it is town that was recently created.

If you send your husband to look at 2500 sq ft homes with two story foyer / living rooms, he will be more successful. The biggest draw here in Alpharetta / Johns Creek is the housing developments with amenities such as swim/tennis. Plus good schools.

Avalon that tonygeorgia mentioned is a worthwhile project. After a 5 year hiatus, that large piece of land had a ground breaking 5 weeks or so back. But to my knowledge there has been very little work even since then.

If you do need to live in metro Atlanta, and need a suburb with a downtown, look into Roswell (Alpharetta's neighbor). That is something at least worth visiting as a downtown, most of which probably developed in last 5-10 years. But not sure how much it will meet your expectations.
Thanks for the info! Too bad about the downtown, though I did hear about that Avalon project! By the time we move, hopefully it will be more underway. They built a huge outdoor mall here down the street, and it only took a couple years - shocking actually how quick it came together.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
Alpharetta is pretty boring. The huge shopping area is on northpoint parkway between exit 8 and exit 9 on 400. The rest of the place is spagetti roads and has a country like feel. There is not much to walkaround and dont even expect many sidewalks!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleWh View Post
Thanks for the info! Too bad about the downtown, though I did hear about that Avalon project! By the time we move, hopefully it will be more underway. They built a huge outdoor mall here down the street, and it only took a couple years - shocking actually how quick it came together.
Your post inspired me to start a thread in the General Forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...downtowns.html

Would like to get input on your current location in that thread.

(edit: Would like to get input on your current location in that thread iF YOU THINK IT HAS A GOOD DOWNTOWN)

Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
If you do need to live in metro Atlanta, and need a suburb with a downtown, look into Roswell (Alpharetta's neighbor). That is something at least worth visiting as a downtown, most of which probably developed in last 5-10 years. But not sure how much it will meet your expectations.
When you described what you were looking for, Roswell immediately came to mind. I second the recommendation that it is worth a look while you are intown.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM

550 posts, read 989,302 times
I can't imagine that Alpharetta would meet your needs. Try Roswell or Decatur.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Another suburban area that you may want to checkout is Buford, GA (City of Buford - Home Page). Buford is located in Gwinnett County and the schools are good as well. The area has a nice downtown area, upscale housing, great schools, diverse, is close to Lake Lanier and the Mall of Georgia is located in Buford too (Mall of Georgia® Mobile Website - Buford, GA 30519-4913 - Simon Malls).

Old 03-06-2013, 07:07 AM

17 posts, read 89,046 times
Welcome...My wife and I recently moved here from Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area) with our 5 year old son. We love it! The people are very friendly and we have been seeming welcomed with open arms. Though I know you said you will be working from home, both my wife and I work in Atlanta (Buckhead) and the commute takes us on average 30 to 35 minutes in the morning (On 400 Exit 9 @ 7) and 30 to 45 to get home. The schools, shopping and community are great. Just what we were looking for. We live one mile from downtown on Mid Broadwell Road and are looking forward to the redevelopment project (though we also love the current small town feel of downtown). We are able to walk to downtown, Wills Park and even downtown Crabapple if we choose too. We are looking forward to the Taste of Alpharetta in May. This would be a good event to attend if you are visiting at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta