Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The reason I am arguing with you is that I am a person who is very passionate about music. I spend time seeking out new music. I can say with 100% confidence that I have great taste in music. I take pride in the diversity and quality of my music collection. And I generally hate music that resides on the billboard charts.

And the artists on this lineup appealed to me. Really, I was quite impressed. I take serious exception to the idea that these bands are flavor of the week, People magazine bands. All of these bands have been around for a long time, Muse being the youngest at 19 years. They are very well respected in music circles. To crap on these bands like they are just mass appeal bands is just not right.
Are you familiar with the word "most" or the concept of exceptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
What I AM saying is that this type of music appeals to people who don't really put much effort into seeking out music. They simply take what is offered by the radio or People Magazine and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with that, but those aren't people with a passion for music
I'm not the exception. I think you are the only person I have ever heard refer to bands such as these as mass market appeal type bands. What are you basing that information on? Kinda seems like it is coming out of thin air.

Look, I am just excited that Atlanta is getting free concerts from some bands that are not manufactured pop crap. I was just taken back by the comments that these bands are generally for people who just take what is given to them through the popular media. I've never come across that opinion when talking about these groups.

Last edited by tikigod311; 03-14-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What I AM saying is that this type of music appeals to people who don't really put much effort into seeking out music. They simply take what is offered by the radio or People Magazine and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with that, but those aren't people with a passion for music.
I have to disagree with that. I've been passionate about music my whole life and have promoted and participated it in a number of ways. I also think I'm fairly discriminating about the level of artistry and innovation involved.

The fact that a given artist or piece of music gains mainstream popularity doesn't mean it's mindless pap. Beethoven and Mozart were wildly popular in their day, because they were really, really good.

Like, countless outre and "cutting edge" acts have been entirely forgettable. Mainstream acceptance does not equal quality any more than the reverse.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM

403 posts, read 619,540 times
The concerts will bring in big crowds and excitement for many people who are not even going to the games. All of the headliners are national (and international) acts that routinely sell out arenas and amphitheatres across the country including ATL. I enjoy some of them others not so much. This is not the venue for an indie act as JPD seems to imply. Most everone knows a couple of hits from each of these bands so it will be interesting for all and will achieve its purpose. Also, its free....

Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I'm not the exception. I think you are the only person I have ever heard refer to bands such as these as mass market appeal type bands. What are you basing that information on? Kinda seems like it is coming out of thin air.
Sales figures.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

The fact that a given artist or piece of music gains mainstream popularity doesn't mean it's mindless pap.
I never said anything remotely close to that.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteATL41 View Post
The concerts will bring in big crowds and excitement for many people who are not even going to the games. All of the headliners are national (and international) acts that routinely sell out arenas and amphitheatres across the country including ATL. I enjoy some of them others not so much. This is not the venue for an indie act as JPD seems to imply. Most everone knows a couple of hits from each of these bands so it will be interesting for all and will achieve its purpose. Also, its free....
I agree. I'm not implying that they should have booked indie acts*. That would have been a disaster. This concert is a PR move for the city. Small crowds look bad on TV and make for bad PR. If I was in charge of booking this event, I would have chosen the same types of acts.

*Having said that, other sports events DO book indie acts as part of the entertainment mix. For example, Gringo Star, a local band, was on the bill of a huge super bowl concert a couple years ago and played to 100,000+ people. So, it's not a far-fetched idea.

http://mountaintimes.com/music/artic...rise-id-022538
Gringo Star just performed for more than 100,000 people at the Super Bowl Village in Indianapolis, Ind., on the Thursday prior to the nation’s biggest sporting event

Old 03-14-2013, 12:26 PM

492 posts, read 790,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I agree. I'm not implying that they should have booked indie acts*. That would have been a disaster. This concert is a PR move for the city. Small crowds look bad on TV and make for bad PR. If I was in charge of booking this event, I would have chosen the same types of acts.

*Having said that, other sports events DO book indie acts as part of the entertainment mix. For example, Gringo Star, a local band, was on the bill of a huge super bowl concert a couple years ago and played to 100,000+ people. So, it's not a far-fetched idea.

Gringo Star On The Rise - Mountain Times
Gringo Star just performed for more than 100,000 people at the Super Bowl Village in Indianapolis, Ind., on the Thursday prior to the nation’s biggest sporting event
Is someone seriously arguing that these bands are too mainstream and thus we need more underground/independent acts for giant free concert design to draw a big crowd?
Geeze, I probably listen to more unmainstream/underground stuff then anyone here but I know that's a dumb idea to have this focus on anything other then big mainstream acts.

You don't see me hollering for them to throw Of Montreal and Whitechapel on a show like this because that isn't the point. It's a free concert design to bring in a bunch of people and everyone knows Muse has tons of underground/Alternative cred. What kind of fake music snob are you to not know that. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are also big with the underground crowd and hipsters. You sound like a poser.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Is someone seriously arguing that these bands are too mainstream and thus we need more underground/independent acts for giant free concert design to draw a big crowd?
Geeze, I probably listen to more unmainstream/underground stuff then anyone here but I know that's a dumb idea to have this focus on anything other then big mainstream acts.

You don't see me hollering for them to throw Of Montreal and Whitechapel on a show like this because that isn't the point. It's a free concert design to bring in a bunch of people and everyone knows Muse has tons of underground/Alternative cred. What kind of fake music snob are you to not know that. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are also big with the underground crowd and hipsters. You sound like a poser.
Perhaps you should slow down and read more carefully. I never said they need to put indie or underground bands on the bill. I said the exact opposite, actually. Multiple times.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:44 PM

403 posts, read 619,540 times
So what line up would you book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: