U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM

13 posts, read 34,769 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Atlanta next month, and we're going to be renting for a year or two. We just visited and fell in love with Decatur/Oakhurst. However, we're not finding many single family home rentals (we are a family of four, plus a hound dog whose howl does not bode well with apartment living). I've read some good things about Kirkwood, but I've also read that it has a lot of break-ins. My kids are not in school, yet, so they don't matter too much right now.

Anyway, are there areas of Kirkwood that we should stay away from? Are there nicer areas than others?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM

7,351 posts, read 9,014,900 times
You want to attract a poster by the name of cqholt who loves the area. I'm sure he can give you the ins and outs.

It is at the edge of a gentrifying area. Many people like it and feel perfectly safe and like the lower prices than neighborhoods further north. Some don't

I think it is safe to say the area is on an up swing.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 AM

23,728 posts, read 20,385,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisheyd View Post
My family is relocating to Atlanta next month, and we're going to be renting for a year or two. We just visited and fell in love with Decatur/Oakhurst. However, we're not finding many single family home rentals (we are a family of four, plus a hound dog whose howl does not bode well with apartment living). I've read some good things about Kirkwood, but I've also read that it has a lot of break-ins. My kids are not in school, yet, so they don't matter too much right now.

Anyway, are there areas of Kirkwood that we should stay away from? Are there nicer areas than others?
Thanks for the shout out cw! I've been outta town so I have not had time to respond.
My wife and I love living in Kirkwood. The neighbors are dedicated to staying and improving the neighborhood. We have a very strong neighborhood association, Kirkwood Neighbors' Organization (KNO) :: Kirkwood Neighborhood, Atlanta, GA. There is petty crime, car break-ins, a few home invasions, but most of the time people make themselves targets by leaving stuff in their cars, or advertising what they own, like leaving boxes by the curb. I nor any of my neighbors have had issues since living there, do purchase an alarm and the dog in the back yard will help.
It is best areas are north of Memorial Drive; older, renovated housing stock. Lots of renovated craftsman and Victorian homes. Unlike Oakhurst there are not a lot of tear-downs with new construction of huge homes. We renovate and expand our housing stock. There is new infill to be found that blends into the older homes perfectly.
There are lots of parks, 5 and 2 PATHS. Lots of families with kids. Our downtown retail area is booming with 3 new businesses set to open in summer. We have 2 annual festivals, Spring Fling and Wine Stroll that are very popular.
The neighborhood is well connected to the arterial road network, DeKalb Ave and Memorial Drive, as well as being on I-20. Also, it is well served by transit, with 2 MARTA stations and 2 bus lines; #24 and #21.
If you have any more questions you can PM me.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,423,216 times
North of Hosea is generally a bit nicer than the area between Memorial and Hosea. Close proximity to the Bixby Court apartment complex should be considered a negative . . . seems a lot of trouble originates there. Neighborhood message board is located here: Kirkwood Neighbors' Organization (KNO) :: Kirkwood Neighborhood, Atlanta, GA. Might be worth joining to do some reading, ask some questions, and occasionally people post rentals there as well. Seems to be a higher incidence of break ins on the dead end streets that run into the railroad tracks, perhaps because there is significantly less traffic there to interrupt attempts.

Crime does not start and stop once you put a toe across the Decatur city line. Crimes of opportunity (car breaks ins, smash and grab burglaries, shed theft) are extremely mobile, and can occur both places. Decatur is a great place to live, but remember that the Kirkwood/East Lake/Oakhurst area is still a pretty small geographic bubble and a lot of these crime issues are transient in nature.

There isn't exactly an abundance of rental inventory in either area at the moment. The 30317 zip code (east lake and Kirkwood) has been an increasingly-hot real estate market over the last year. People that may have been underwater and elected to rent a home out in previous years may be finding they have regained enough ground to sell. So, keep that in mind if you become frustrated with finding SFH in the area for lease.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by red92s; 03-11-2013 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 PM

23,728 posts, read 20,385,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
North of Hosea is generally a bit nicer than the area between Memorial and Hosea. Close proximity to the Bixby Court apartment complex should be considered a negative . . . seems a lot of trouble originates there. Neighborhood message board is located here: Kirkwood Neighbors' Organization (KNO) :: Kirkwood Neighborhood, Atlanta, GA. Might be worth joining to do some reading, ask some questions, and occasionally people post rentals there as well. Seems to be a higher incidence of break ins on the dead end streets that run into the railroad tracks, perhaps because there is significantly less traffic there to interrupt attempts.

Crime does not start and stop once you put a toe across the Decatur city line. Crimes of opportunity (car breaks ins, smash and grab burglaries, shed theft) are extremely mobile, and can occur both places. Decatur is a great place to live, but remember that the Kirkwood/East Lake/Oakhurst area is still a pretty small geographic bubble and a lot of these crime issues are transient in nature.

There isn't exactly an abundance of rental inventory in either area at the moment. The 30317 zip code (east lake and Kirkwood) has been an increasingly-hot real estate market over the last year. People that may have been underwater and elected to rent a home out in previous years may be finding they have regained enough ground to sell. So, keep that in mind if you become frustrated with finding SFH in the area for lease.

Happy hunting.
Bixby is not as bad as it once was, but its issues still spill over. A lot of the mobile crime is criminals coming from other areas in stolen cars, committing the crimes, then fleeing back to their original areas. Very few is local residents committing crimes against other locals.
I do know of a 3/2, renovated for rent on Hosea 2 buildings east of Woodbine https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.75336...85.03,,0,-3.74.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta