Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times

Advertisements

Ok, simple questions everyone.

A document has surfaced in the city v. city forums about the possible new boundaries of MSAs and CSAs

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...013/b13-01.pdf

The big change for the area is Athens-Clarke Count's 4 county MSA is added to Atlantas CSA.

There has been tremendous growth along the GA 316 corridor and I know many people in Athens sometimes work in Gwinnett and many in Gwinnett also attend UGA or work in Athens/UGA.

However, this happened a bit sooner than I expected. I thought it would happen in 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 PM

According the document these MSAs and Micropolitan areas are apart of the Atlanta MSA.

122 Atlanta--Athens-Clarke County--Sandy Springs, GA Combined Statistical Area
  • Athens-Clarke County, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area
  • Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area
  • Calhoun, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area
  • Cedartown, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area
  • Gainesville, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area
  • Jefferson, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area
  • LaGrange, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area
  • Thomaston, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area

Last edited by cwkimbro; 03-11-2013 at 12:09 AM..

Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM

492 posts, read 790,881 times
That kind of expansion would make CSA-MSA useless. If it takes me over an hour to get somewhere from the center city with NO traffic I would not consider it part of the metro by convenience alone. Are we going to have parts of Alabama and Tennessee in the metro/CSA too?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 PM

Adding Counties:

122 Atlanta--Athens-Clarke County--Sandy Springs, GA Combined Statistical Area
  • Athens-Clarke County, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area
    • Principal City: Athens-Clarke County (balance)
    • Clarke County,
    • Madison County,
    • Oconee County,
    • Oglethorpe County
  • Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area
    • Principal Cities: Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Marietta
    • Barrow County,
    • Bartow County,
    • Butts County,
    • Carroll County,
    • Cherokee County,
    • Clayton County,
    • Cobb County,
    • Coweta County,
    • Dawson County,
    • DeKalb County,
    • Douglas County,
    • Fayette County,
    • Forsyth County,
    • Fulton County,
    • Gwinnett County,
    • Haralson County,
    • Heard County,
    • Henry County,
    • Jasper County,
    • Lamar County,
    • Meriwether County,
    • Morgan County,
    • Newton County,
    • Paulding County,
    • Pickens County,
    • Pike County,
    • Rockdale County,
    • Spalding County,
    • Walton County
  • Calhoun, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area
    • Principal City: Calhoun
    • Gordon County
  • Cedartown, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area
    • Principal City: Cedartown
    • Polk County
  • Gainesville, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area
    • Principal City: Gainesville
    • Hall County
  • Jefferson, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area
    • Principal City: Jefferson
    • Jackson County
  • LaGrange, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area
    • Principal City: LaGrange
    • Troup County
  • Thomaston, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area
    • Principal City: Thomaston
    • Upson County

Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 PM

Lol, ALL OF GEORGIA is Atlanta.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
That kind of expansion would make CSA-MSA useless. If it takes me over an hour to get somewhere from the center city with NO traffic I would not consider it part of the metro by convenience alone. Are we going to have parts of Alabama and Tennessee in the metro/CSA too?
believe it or not... if this list is official... They actually removed a micropolitan area in Alabama from the last census.

Keep in mind this is a CSA, not MSA. There is a difference.

This is mostly caused by people commuting 45 minutes between Gwinnett, Oconee, and Clarke County. (which keep in mind... Gwinnett has a large base of jobs in the Atlanta area now... much more so than the last census)

City center to city center isn't important is many people are rapidly working outside the city centers like they are.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 AM

This large CSA boundary is just a hair under 6 million people and contains about 6 out of 10 Georgians.

It adds Morgan county to the Atlanta MSA... seems a bit odd.

It adds Calhoun/Gordon County to the CSA

It also adds Jefferson/Jackson County to the CSA.

Chambers Co., AL/Valley is removed and added to the Columbus, GA CSA, which also contains the Auburban-Opelika MSA. (This makes sense to me...)

Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
believe it or not... if this list is official... They actually removed a micropolitan area in Alabama from the last census.

Keep in mind this is a CSA, not MSA. There is a difference.

This is mostly caused by people commuting 45 minutes between Gwinnett, Oconee, and Clarke County. (which keep in mind... Gwinnett has a large base of jobs in the Atlanta area now... much more so than the last census)

City center to city center isn't important is many people are rapidly working outside the city centers like they are.
If that's the case then just create a separate MSA and CSA for the northern counties. Why even include Atlanta if it doesn't matter anyway?

Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
If that's the case then just create a separate MSA and CSA for the northern counties. Why even include Atlanta if it doesn't matter anyway?
Because enough people from the northern counties still commute into the city. I never said Atlanta didn't matter.... I said the city center to city center commute of the two MSAs don't matter. It is because we have so many employment centers throughout.

I'm going to use Gwinnett as a convenient example. What is interesting about Gwinnett (and Cobb for that matter) is they have enough jobs to support their population. 1 worker resident = aprox. 1 job in the county.

The reality of what it going on is about 20% of Gwinnett is commuting to Fulton County for work.. probably around 15% to Atlanta.

57% of Gwinnett's jobs are from out of county residents. About 25% from the other 4 core counties of the region, but the rest from the exurban counties.

So Gwinnett has the original commuter suburbs of Atlanta, like when it was smaller...but it has its own job base including people who could never commute to Downtown Atlanta and people that commute into Gwinnett for those jobs.

So to add to the complexity... two regions end up side by side, their borders share. After time exurbs/suburbs exist mid-way between the two and more people start commuting between the 2 MSAs.

This is why we have CSAs, MSAs, etc...

Technically if we forget the definitions the Census Bureau makes... I know from an old article on extreme commutes there are a few people from Macon that commute to Atlanta. It just isn't a sizable number to matter to the Census definitions by a long shot.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:24 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Ok, simple questions everyone.

A document has surfaced in the city v. city forums about the possible new boundaries of MSAs and CSAs

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...013/b13-01.pdf

The big change for the area is Athens-Clarke Count's 4 county MSA is added to Atlantas CSA.

There has been tremendous growth along the GA 316 corridor and I know many people in Athens sometimes work in Gwinnett and many in Gwinnett also attend UGA or work in Athens/UGA.

However, this happened a bit sooner than I expected. I thought it would happen in 10 years.

No, it should not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta