Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times

Advertisements

What do you propose they name this new venue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
What do you propose they name this new venue?
the highest bidder that writes a check to Arthur Blank. I'm pretty sure it will be some corporate sponsor... similar to Phillips Arena

Old 03-12-2013, 09:06 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
the highest bidder that writes a check to Arthur Blank. I'm pretty sure it will be some corporate sponsor... similar to Phillips Arena
Maybe a local company such as Coca Cola or Georgia Pacific, should be interesting.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Thanks for the update CWK. I would think the dome could be retrofitted to be more convention hall space for the GWCC instead of knocking the whole thing down. The GWCC was once the largest convention center in the country, now it is ranked fourth. Could stand to get back in the competition, would have to look it up but Las Vegas and Orlando are ahead, not sure of the other one.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thanks for the update CWK. I would think the dome could be retrofitted to be more convention hall space for the GWCC instead of knocking the whole thing down. The GWCC was once the largest convention center in the country, now it is ranked fourth. Could stand to get back in the competition, would have to look it up but Las Vegas and Orlando are ahead, not sure of the other one.
Chicago, I believe.
I agree that using the property for additional convention space is a good idea. We need to get back in the game.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 PM

well the Dome (and in the future and new stadium) are already included in the GWCC totals.

I'm not sure if a second stadium will really our convention center more competitive.

They originally, last year, studied the idea of having two stadiums. The Dome and a cheaper open air stadium.

The rejected the idea. I think the root problem is the GA Dome will need 10's of millions in investment in the coming years and into the low 100's millions in the coming decade or two just to keep operational.

I think part of the justification for spending money on the new stadium is we wouldn't have the GA Dome has a financial liability as it ages.

Our convention traffic has been down slightly. I don't think the issue is the size of our facilities. I think we have to make Downtown Atlanta seem like a clean and safe, but also fun and exciting place to be to stay at the top of our game.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Space is definitely an issue. Atlanta lost COMDEX primarily due to the convention outgrowing us. That loss alone was huge for the city.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Space is definitely an issue. Atlanta lost COMDEX primarily due to the convention outgrowing us. That loss alone was huge for the city.
I'm not sure about that...

That was back in the '90s and they stopped just a few years after leaving, I think.

They never completely used up all of our halls at 3.9 million sq ft.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Never thought Id hear that Atlanta lacked space.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:58 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
well the Dome (and in the future and new stadium) are already included in the GWCC totals.

I'm not sure if a second stadium will really our convention center more competitive.

They originally, last year, studied the idea of having two stadiums. The Dome and a cheaper open air stadium.

The rejected the idea. I think the root problem is the GA Dome will need 10's of millions in investment in the coming years and into the low 100's millions in the coming decade or two just to keep operational.

I think part of the justification for spending money on the new stadium is we wouldn't have the GA Dome has a financial liability as it ages.

Our convention traffic has been down slightly. I don't think the issue is the size of our facilities. I think we have to make Downtown Atlanta seem like a clean and safe, but also fun and exciting place to be to stay at the top of our game.
I wasn't thinking of keeping the dome as is, but using it somehow for more convention space. Maybe gut the thing, take off the dome, put a real roof on it for a massive convention floor more in line with A, B and C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta