Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times

Advertisements

I have an idea for the old Georgia Dome site. The Falcons Stadium is going to be built, but what happens to the old Dome site? Unfortunately, if history repeats itself as it is wont to do, it will result in another giant parking deck. This would be a horrible drain on the city of Atlanta, and I don't think downtown can stand another blow of this magnitude. So I drew up a basic outline of what I believe should be done with the old Georgia Dome site. Of course, it's just a rough outline of what could be, but I really think that something like this should be done— it would not only benefit Downtown, but it would benefit Vine City immensely. Check it out!

What do we do after the dome is demolished? - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I have an idea for the old Georgia Dome site. The Falcons Stadium is going to be built, but what happens to the old Dome site? Unfortunately, if history repeats itself as it is wont to do, it will result in another giant parking deck. This would be a horrible drain on the city of Atlanta, and I don't think downtown can stand another blow of this magnitude. So I drew up a basic outline of what I believe should be done with the old Georgia Dome site. Of course, it's just a rough outline of what could be, but I really think that something like this should be done— it would not only benefit Downtown, but it would benefit Vine City immensely. Check it out!

What do we do after the dome is demolished? - Google Maps
I like your idea of the street connectivity. However, I doubt the GWCC would give up this real estate. I am sure GWCC needs to expand to stay competitive in terms of square footage for convention space and would eye this sight for expansion as it abuts the center. It would be nice for GWCC to expand but take in this street grid, maybe with some street level retail.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM

i'm not sure if the GWCC owns any of this property— unless they own the actual GA dome site.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,095 times
Turn it to our version of LA Live or put a new baseball stadium there

http://photos.uc.wisc.edu/photos/146...jpg?1327978010
http://www.jgsla2010.com/wp-content/...03-300x225.jpg
http://i.axs.com/14-11152012-50a437c972e09.jpg

Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM

402 posts, read 703,638 times
I agree, the old GA dome area must be turned into something other than a parking lot or addition to the GWCC. It should serve as a major conduit that connects the Eastern and Western portions of our city.

The city should actually do this idea: Plans & Initiatives | Green Line Plan

And have it connect to that new green space. Make it a huge green space / park for tailgating like the Grove at Ole Miss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grove_(Ole_Miss)

Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM

402 posts, read 703,638 times
Furthermore, if the city wanted to be REALLY visionary they could connect the Green Line, to the New GA Dome area green space, to Mims Park in Vine City, to already designed renovation and park plans for English Ave, to the Westside beltline and Westside Quarry Park.

Talk about a downtown renaissance... if this happens in coordination with the Beltline around the city, and street cars connecting the parts of the city that marta can't... Wow. The city would be the jewel of the country.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,704 times
This is my revised idea. I think if the intermodal terminal is built, a new Braves Stadium could connect to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Idea for Georgia Dome site.-site-plan.png  

Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm not sure if the GWCC owns any of this property— unless they own the actual GA dome site.
Yes, the dome is part of the GWCC. From Wikipedia:
The A, B, and C buildings of the GWCC (the actual Convention Center), Centennial Olympic Park and the Georgia Dome are all run by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority under the auspices of the State of Georgia and funding for new expansions and other major project come from the Georgia General Assembly.
Georgia World Congress Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
It's kind of far from the main downtown area though.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
This is my revised idea. I think if the intermodal terminal is built, a new Braves Stadium could connect to it.
this is an interesting idea. the only concern i'd have is interference with the multi-modal transit terminal. either way we *definitely* need to "cap" the gulch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's kind of far from the main downtown area though.
i'm starting to think your name is "Dr. No". the "main downtown" area is 200 feet away. sweet auburn is about the same. the problem is that the west part of downtown has been blocked off by the GWCC and the dome for so long that people view sweet auburn as more a part of downtown than vine city. in reality they are the same distance from downtown and have very similar histories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Yes, the dome is part of the GWCC. From Wikipedia:
The A, B, and C buildings of the GWCC (the actual Convention Center), Centennial Olympic Park and the Georgia Dome are all run by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority under the auspices of the State of Georgia and funding for new expansions and other major project come from the Georgia General Assembly.
Georgia World Congress Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i was not aware of that— but on the same token i haven't heard of any GWCC expansion plans either. i am hoping, since they are so large already, that there could be an opportunity to reconnect the street grid to vine city, as it was before the dome was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta