Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,693,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You can't argue a preference because everyone has their own.

But with Gwinnett's nationally recognized park system, not to mention Stone Mountain, I'd find it hard to believe that Cobb county has more park land.
Gwinnett has done a better job at building solid infrastructure and made downpayments on investments to future proof things.... like rebuilding sewage treatment for long-term savings. Parks and schools, too. The roads as of the last couple decades are engineered well. Gwinnett has also made the most sizable investment at syncing lights and installing ITS on country thorough fares.

What I think Gwinnett doesn't do a good job on is the "fluff." That extra little spending to make a project look better. Our roads are a good example. The central and southern portion of the county have alot of roads with ugly concrete medians and no landscaping.

Anyways... I think he meant state and national parks like the Kennesaw Battlefield.

But still, it is a huge asset of Gwinnett's and they are well done, award winning parks.

Gwinnett
Parks: 44
Acres: 9,282
developed acreage: 2,893

Cobb
Parks: 38
Acres: ?
developed acreage: 1,350

Now that is county level information.
Both counties have a number of city amenities on top of that not included in the totals.

Cobb has Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield, which is 2,882 acres.

Cobb has Lake Acworth and Lake Altoona. Gwinnett has Lake Lanier.

As far as Stone mountain goes... part of the park comes into Gwinnett. It is where they built the tennis stadium and a few parcels that are passive park (trees, no amenities)

Stone Mountain, the rock itself, is in Dekalb. The whole park is right on the Gwinnett Border. If you live in on the Southern part of Gwinnett near Mountain Park or down US78 towards Snelleville, then Stone Mountain is an important fixture and park for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,784,895 times

Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 PM

Hard to find a map that shows detail, but the green blob in the right center of DeKalb is Stone Mountain Park, looks like all of it is in DeKalb.

Edit: The map boundary goes just past the actual line, look closely and you can see the yellow borderline between DeKalb and Gwinnett just inside the margin. So as CWK mentions, the tennis center is in Gwinnett, but the rest of the park in DeKalb.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 PM

That map is more of less right, but...

You have to zoom in to see the county line. They includes a strip of gwinnett County going all the way around.

That road that looks like it is travelling southeast/northwest just inside the map is a Gwinnett Street.

For specifics go to Page 7 http://www.stonemountainpark.org/2.%...%28HFEC%29.pdf

The dashed line is the county line.

This is all a moot point... The entrance is on Gwinnett's Door step, so its a large recreation amenity for us..

Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,971,971 times
Wow. I'd say it's at least somewhat deceptive for the Gwinnett CVB to have such a large picture of Stone Mountain on its site if the rock itself isn't even in the county.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Wow. I'd say it's at least somewhat deceptive for the Gwinnett CVB to have such a large picture of Stone Mountain on its site if the rock itself isn't even in the county.
Well they aren't being deceptive exactly...

Remember the goal and target audience. They are selling the idea that Gwinnett is a good place to visit to do business. Here are the amenities it will open you to....

Stone Mountain Park is one of them.

You'll also notice the picture of the Atlanta Braves baseball player.

They also don't claim it ". Gwinnett County is an easy drive into nearby Stone Mountain or downtown Atlanta, where visitors will enjoy the the new Dolphin Exhibit at the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke, Centennial Olympic Park,Piedmont Park and watching the Atlanta Braves at Turner Field"

Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,971,971 times
I think the reason they have a picture of a Braves player is because of the Gwinnett Braves.

Using the logic of promoting things not in the county, why not just post a picture of a beach and palm trees and in the small print say you can get to the Gulf coast in just 5.5 hours?

I still say that is deceptive.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
That map is more of less right, but...

You have to zoom in to see the county line. They includes a strip of gwinnett County going all the way around.

That road that looks like it is travelling southeast/northwest just inside the map is a Gwinnett Street.

For specifics go to Page 7 http://www.stonemountainpark.org/2.%...%28HFEC%29.pdf

The dashed line is the county line.

This is all a moot point... The entrance is on Gwinnett's Door step, so its a large recreation amenity for us..
Yeah, I caught that county line, mentioned it above.

It is very difficult to find local maps online that show the county lines. Google maps does not show county lines.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I think the reason they have a picture of a Braves player is because of the Gwinnett Braves.

Using the logic of promoting things not in the county, why not just post a picture of a beach and palm trees and in the small print say you can get to the Gulf coast in just 5.5 hours?

I still say that is deceptive.
It's probably ok to mention the regional amenities, but it is confusing, especially if someone like you who is fairly well read and intelligent (at least I think so from your posts) thought that Stone Mountain was in Gwinnett.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Gwinnett has done a better job at building solid infrastructure and made downpayments on investments to future proof things.... like rebuilding sewage treatment for long-term savings. Parks and schools, too. The roads as of the last couple decades are engineered well. Gwinnett has also made the most sizable investment at syncing lights and installing ITS on country thorough fares.

What I think Gwinnett doesn't do a good job on is the "fluff." That extra little spending to make a project look better. Our roads are a good example. The central and southern portion of the county have alot of roads with ugly concrete medians and no landscaping.

Anyways... I think he meant state and national parks like the Kennesaw Battlefield.

But still, it is a huge asset of Gwinnett's and they are well done, award winning parks.

Gwinnett
Parks: 44
Acres: 9,282
developed acreage: 2,893

Cobb
Parks: 38
Acres: ?
developed acreage: 1,350

Now that is county level information.
Both counties have a number of city amenities on top of that not included in the totals.

Cobb has Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield, which is 2,882 acres.

Cobb has Lake Acworth and Lake Altoona. Gwinnett has Lake Lanier.

As far as Stone mountain goes... part of the park comes into Gwinnett. It is where they built the tennis stadium and a few parcels that are passive park (trees, no amenities)

Stone Mountain, the rock itself, is in Dekalb. The whole park is right on the Gwinnett Border. If you live in on the Southern part of Gwinnett near Mountain Park or down US78 towards Snelleville, then Stone Mountain is an important fixture and park for the area.
I spent 14 years in Cobb before coming to Texas, so I am naturally more connected with Cobb than Gwinnett. Gwinnett is a good bit larger area wise than Cobb and has passed it in population as well, so it makes sense that Gwinnett has more park land. I wonder how much of the developed land is for sports facilites... Soccer and baseball fields. A lot of Cobb county owned parkland is sports fields. That's why the jewel of both the Battlefield and River parks are wonderful... acres upon acres of natural woodland right in the heart of the sprawl.

Cobb also has a good amount of acreage in the northwest corner that is Army Corp of Engineer property surrounding Allatoona and Lake Acworth.

Again, just love Cobb best of all the metro area, was a wonderful place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta