Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:19 AM

53 posts, read 157,726 times

Advertisements

I strongly prefer Gwinnett County over Cobb County as it is by far more established,. People who go to Gwinnett County tend to stay put in their homes for a very long time affording a stability that is almost impossible to find anywhere else in the ATL metro area! GWINNETT IS WONDERFUL!
We personally live inside the perimeter (husband's career demands this) but we have a vacation home in south Gwinnett County at Norris Lake and stay out there (WAY) over half the time. I never hear of crime at all NONE and this is noteworthy in the metro! We do not even have a security system at our Gwinnett County house!
Interestingly in this --->no new houses are being built anywhere day and age<--- we have had new home construction in our old neighborhood of late, even during the recession SEVERAL new houses were built and one they even tore down a house to get the lot to rebuild on and another house in the neighborhood is about to suffer a similar fate for the new owners ego LOL.
You can go to the wonderful Publix market in five minutes and the dry-cleaners in seven minutes yet the neighborhood feels rural and heavenly. It has a delightful feel to it and the topography of the land in south Gwinnett is gorgeous and the commute into ATL is EZ as there are two ways to go. We also have numerous members of the same family all owning homes in our neighborhood there which is common to see all over Gwinnett County north and south. If you happen to be Jewish the Synagogue in Snellville is wonderful and has attracted alot of fine people from all over the metro to the area.
I have neighbors there from NYC, Australia, Iowa, Kansas City, Perth, Australia; Wisconsin, a family from Germany and several English people and other lovely people from all over and almost all have owned their homes over ten years and everyone knows each other and gets on famously. It is so safe people leave their jet skis in the garage with the door open.
Cobb County on the other hand has alot of corporate transient types and you might buy a house and have all new neighbors in two years with job transfers and such and this around metro-ATL can be a scary thing. Try the south end of Gwinnett County just north of the county line from affluent Lithonia. You have two ways to get into ATL out that way depending on time of day you are going but it is never horrendous at any time to commute (only if there is a rare traffic mishap) and some places in Cobb the traffic is really bad.
Several celebrities own homes in south Gwinnett and a few in north Gwinnett too and you can search this yourself to see it is accurate as property records are online now through the County website. So if you hear so-and-so movie actress has an equestrian estate in south Gwinnett or so and so keeps their Atlanta pied-a-terre in south Gwinnett or so and so old rock star lives in South Gwinnett you can SEE THIS IS TRUE by searcning their name on the tax records online.
GOOD LUCK! Have not been on this fun forum in awhile but post any question and I will answer it and even enlist friends and neighbors as well LOL! BTW we own a house in Marietta in Cobb also which we maintain as a rental property but used to live in in the 1980s so I know both areas from experience. Love, Adel

Last edited by AdelaidefromLondon; 04-14-2013 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 AM

53 posts, read 157,726 times
Default Postscript

ahope ALSO you will KISS your Gwinnett County property tax bill but take to bed in depression over the tax bill from Cobb County. Everything else is more affordable in Gwinnett County too and it is over Cobb County business owners having to pay the high taxes in Cobb County so they must charge more for their service and/or product. I asked my husband just now about commute time and he seconded that Gwinnett is more commuter friendly to ATL and easier to get to the airport from also than Cobb. Adel

Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,818,728 times
There are nuggets of great communities in either county. Great schools, lots of amenities -- shopping, etc. It should depend on what works for your commute.

As for folks who end up having to commute -- adding to traffic on the road. You don't always plan to commute. We bought in Cobb County when we first moved and within 5 years my husband's office moved their offices to Gwinnett. Fortunately for us we were in a good position to move and we did but for some, this isn't always an option.

That commute from Gwinnett to Cobb is worst than any commute in the ATL area. It doesn't matter what time of day -- it's a nightmare!!!!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 PM

924 posts, read 1,448,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaidefromLondon View Post
ahope ALSO you will KISS your Gwinnett County property tax bill but take to bed in depression over the tax bill from Cobb County. Everything else is more affordable in Gwinnett County too and it is over Cobb County business owners having to pay the high taxes in Cobb County so they must charge more for their service and/or product. I asked my husband just now about commute time and he seconded that Gwinnett is more commuter friendly to ATL and easier to get to the airport from also than Cobb. Adel
Um, property taxes in unincorporated Gwinnett are higher than unincorporated Cobb by about 30%. The part of Gwinnett you are in might be better but the vast majority of Gwinnett has to use I-85 which has awful traffic coming in the mornings and leaving in the afternoons and is further from town than the majority of Cobb County. The furthest points from downtown in Cobb are around 32-33 miles away while the furthest points in Gwinnett are 42-45 miles away.

There are also parts of Cobb County that are only 15-20 miles from the airport and take relatively lighter traffic I-285 to get there. The closest spots in Gwinnett are 28-30 miles away from the airport and have to use the downtown connector to get there.

Now if you want to get to the airport from the closest corner of Gwinnett and compare it to the furthest corner of Cobb then you are correct but on average you couldn't be more mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta