Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 02:03 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,616 times

Advertisements

Thanks for reviving this Cajunbulldog,

This is interesting. What does ELA stand for, by the way?

Someone mentioned there being low-income apartments near Piedmont that are going to be torn down. Are those still there? It is just really interesting to me that one school could have scores that are lower than the other Buckhead scores. I'm sure there are low-income apartments in the Smith, Jackson, Brandon and E Rivers school districts too, right (or kids that move around alot)? Or no? Are these apartments (haven't identified the exact location) in Buckhead or is there another area nearby (e.g., Lindbergh) that the apartments are in?

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunbulldog View Post
Although test scores aren't everything, from the recently released CRCT scores, Rivers seems to be building some serious momentum.

In 3rd grade, they are as good as or outperform other Buckhead schools (Smith, Jackson, Brandon) in addition to Garden Hills. I was surprised to see this, not sure if there is another explanation but the scores are off the charts for them historically...

Interested to hear theories about what this means for Rivers, maybe from parents who have kids there?

______________Reading ELA Math Science Social Studies
RIVERS ELEMEN___100.0_ 97.7_ 93.2___96.6_____ 100.0
GARDEN HILLS _____91.8_ 90.7_ 74.2___77.3______ 85.6
SMITH ELEMENT ____96.5_96.6_ 83.9___88.3______ 93.2
BRANDON ELEME__100.0_ 99.5_ 96.7___96.8______ 99.5
JACKSON ELEME __100.0_100.0_ 94.0___96.7______ 99.3
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Thanks for reviving this Cajunbulldog,

This is interesting. What does ELA stand for, by the way?

Someone mentioned there being low-income apartments near Piedmont that are going to be torn down. Are those still there? It is just really interesting to me that one school could have scores that are lower than the other Buckhead scores. I'm sure there are low-income apartments in the Smith, Jackson, Brandon and E Rivers school districts too, right (or kids that move around alot)? Or no? Are these apartments (haven't identified the exact location) in Buckhead or is there another area nearby (e.g., Lindbergh) that the apartments are in?

Thank you.

It stands for English Language Arts.

I actually used to live in the "low income" apartments lol! I was a college student back in the 90s and lived in that area.

I have heard E. Rivers is a great school though. I even thought of renting one of those low income apartments again to get my son into E. Rivers until I found the school he is at right now. I was, like you concerned about the high class sizes there and in the other Buckhead schools and since we are black and my son is a black male (of course) I am always concerned that he will be the victim of an achievement gap brought on by teachers not thinking he is capable of achieving on the level that he can actually reach - basically they wouldn't push him enough academically.

Luckily we found a great charter school with extremely low class sizes and he loves his school, as do I and their 5th grade class last year actually scored better on the CRCT than all the Buckhead elementary schools so we were very proud of the entire class (100% met or exceeded in math, ELA, Social Studies, Reading, and 96% in Science) and over half of our school is low income and black.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM

ResidingHere,

That is awesome! I'd love to hear more about this school. Will you DM me.
Yes, my husband teaches at an inner city school in a very poor area. Many children are from single parent household and some seem not to have much in the way of parents at all. HOWEVER, he expects the best, the administration does not settle for less - and these children excel on par with schools in much wealthier areas. It is really not the money in the community for all children are created with equal brains. Kids in wealthier areas are no smarter than kids in low-income areas. The differences are the resources for the children (smaller class sizes, teachers get whatever they ask for in the way of parent donations to enrich the classroom experience in wealthier Buckhead APS schools versus APS school NOT in Buckhead, parents start foundations to pay for whatever the state won't pay for in Buckhead elementary APS schools versus APS schools NOT in Buckhead and there is more parent involvement and, most important, TEACHER EXPECTATION). Notice that none of that has to do with a child's aptitude to learn. There is no difference there. When teachers set high bars, students achieve. Money really doesn't matter as much as people make it out to matter. I think some of that is really just fear of the unknown. People make assumptions about people who are different from them socioeconomically, racially, whatever.

DM me, please. I want to hear about this school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I actually used to live in the "low income" apartments lol! I was a college student back in the 90s and lived in that area.

I have heard E. Rivers is a great school though. I even thought of renting one of those low income apartments again to get my son into E. Rivers until I found the school he is at right now. I was, like you concerned about the high class sizes there and in the other Buckhead schools and since we are black and my son is a black male (of course) I am always concerned that he will be the victim of an achievement gap brought on by teachers not thinking he is capable of achieving on the level that he can actually reach - basically they wouldn't push him enough academically.

Luckily we found a great charter school with extremely low class sizes and he loves his school, as do I and their 5th grade class last year actually scored better on the CRCT than all the Buckhead elementary schools so we were very proud of the entire class (100% met or exceeded in math, ELA, Social Studies, Reading, and 96% in Science) and over half of our school is low income and black.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:26 PM

ResidingHere,

I think we were saying that the low-income apartments go to Garden Hills, not E. Rivers. Or maybe there are some that go to E. Rivers too. I'm not sure.

I really think all children should get the same access to quality education. Whether they are in a Buckhead APS school or a non-Buckhead APS but, sadly, it is not the case. Jackson and Warren have much more in the way of resources for teachers and students due to the money that is poured into the school by parents. Some of these schools have almost 100 PTA committees. Same APS district, completely different worlds/resources from other APS schools not sitting in wealthy areas. Like, I said, still, the schools are just too big.

None of that should matter for what the classroom environment is like. But it does. It creates a continuous cycle of the haves and have nots in this country. Then we turn our noses up at the "low-income" kids and wonder why they are low-income... Even the educational system in this country inculcates generations of inequality in education.

In IL, where I am from, the taxes in the community pay for the school. What does that mean? Well, kids in wealthier communities get better books, classroom resources, etc. and guess what kids in the less wealthy communities get? Exactly.

And why the heck is it called "English" Language Arts. What the heck other kind of Language Arts exists or has EVER existed? Is that just to keep up more mess?

Quote:

Old 08-20-2013, 02:40 PM

ResidingHere,

I here what you are saying about teachers historically not pushing AA children. I have heard about this/read about this and it is just a function of someone's perception of someone of another race playing out subconsciously (and, in the past, I think, consciously). I wanted to add that I think that this type of thing can happen generally with many different children of different races also.

For example, some teachers are biased by GENDER. We have a son also and my eyes were opened to this. I met an old retired teacher who confided in me that she DISLIKED little boys when she initially started teaching. She thought they were raucous, did not enjoy reading, only wanted to play around and were generally ill-suited for the school/academic environment. Basically, they were just "dumb jocks" in waiting. On the flip side, she was prejudiced in favor of girls and thought them all cute as a button and students who would love to read, sit quietly, etc.

At that point, I realized that I have to be a staunch advocate for my child in the classroom. We started him in private recently and I've already met with the teacher to give her background on my child, his achievements, his strengths, etc. I do not believe in sitting around HOPING the teacher realizes my little guy loves reading and has been determined to be gifted while she or anyone else ASSUMES that he just wants to play all day. I need him to be stimulated. He likes it and I like it too.

So, you see, biases come in all forms. Parents have a tough battle sometimes, I think, when it comes to boys and the school environment, in terms of misconceptions about what boys like, do well, and what girls like, do well.

Quote:

Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Christina Hoff Sommers: School Has Become Hostile to Boys | TIME.com

Old 08-20-2013, 07:09 PM

Aries,
The problem that I have with this article is that is stereotypes boys into the same hype that the retired teacher believed...boys like to play with guns, boys like to pretend to have guns, boys like to be action heroes and if there are no action heroes or rescue play, boys are disconnected. The problem is that no one really seems to understand that boys have just as much ability to be focused, academic (in a traditional way), to enjoy reading about academic subjects that have nothing to do with guns or rescue play, and generally to be academics. It is quite odd since we, on one hand, assume boys are better in math and science, and, on the other hand, assume they do not understand or enjoy academia in its purest form bereft of guns and games, basically. It is quite interesting. I wish people would stop acting like all boys play with guns. Only the ones whose parents buy them guns or who expose them to that (e.g., GI Joe) get into that stuff. Some of them are being stimulated with crazy science projects or books about dinosaurs and pre-historic times.... Some of them actually like to read (gasp)!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Aries,
The problem that I have with this article is that is stereotypes boys into the same hype that the retired teacher believed...boys like to play with guns, boys like to pretend to have guns, boys like to be action heroes and if there are no action heroes or rescue play, boys are disconnected. The problem is that no one really seems to understand that boys have just as much ability to be focused, academic (in a traditional way), to enjoy reading about academic subjects that have nothing to do with guns or rescue play, and generally to be academics. It is quite odd since we, on one hand, assume boys are better in math and science, and, on the other hand, assume they do not understand or enjoy academia in its purest form bereft of guns and games, basically. It is quite interesting. I wish people would stop acting like all boys play with guns. Only the ones whose parents buy them guns or who expose them to that (e.g., GI Joe) get into that stuff. Some of them are being stimulated with crazy science projects or books about dinosaurs and pre-historic times.... Some of them actually like to read (gasp)!

Just posted FYI.

Interesting that you talked above about boys and schools today--and this article was published just yesterday (as well as featured in today's AJC: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/get-schoo...y-our-schools/ ).

Old 08-20-2013, 07:44 PM

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for making me aware that this subject is actually being written about. I obviously need to do a bit of researching and understanding further about this issue. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Just posted FYI.

Interesting that you talked above about boys and schools today--and this article was published just yesterday (as well as featured in today's AJC: Do schools stigmatize boys as problems because of how they play? | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com ).

Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Very interesting indeed. Thanks for making me aware that this subject is actually being written about. I obviously need to do a bit of researching and understanding further about this issue. Thanks again.

Yes--you will find lots of information on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: