Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,762,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
5)Continued dense development around stations and possible stations is needed.
MARTA is in the process of redeveloping several station's parking lots into mixed-use, multi-family developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,093,960 times
So I'm riding MARTA now to head to Atlanta and its exactly what people say. Massive delays. Stopped at Avondale for literally 10 minutes. Do they really expect people to continue riding MARTA with problems like this? I was better off driving! Maybe it is time to privatize it. It's ran so badly and nothing but crooks. I feel do sorry for people who will be late to whatever because of these massive delays. I'm about to give up with MARTA. Even the NyC subway with a ton more lines and passengers run their service better.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So I'm riding MARTA now to head to Atlanta and its exactly what people say. Massive delays. Stopped at Avondale for literally 10 minutes. Do they really expect people to continue riding MARTA with problems like this? I was better off driving! Maybe it is time to privatize it. It's ran so badly and nothing but crooks. I feel do sorry for people who will be late to whatever because of these massive delays. I'm about to give up with MARTA. Even the NyC subway with a ton more lines and passengers run their service better.
Did you check the website or sing up for emails about delays? MARTA > News And Events > System Alerts

Old 04-02-2013, 11:56 AM

The delays are continuing. Over 20 minutes now and we can barely go 2 stops. This is ridiculous. Ugh. Going to be late to classes now. Done.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The delays are continuing. Over 20 minutes now and we can barely go 2 stops. This is ridiculous. Ugh. Going to be late to classes now. Done.
Should have checked the website and left with enough time. Do you not think that MTA has delays too? Did you ever read what happened on WMATA last year, where people where trapped on a train for 4 hours?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,718,107 times
Quote:
If you are going to continue to feel the need to compare MARTA and NYC subway (MTA by the way), they do not run their service much better. The MTA is in MASSIVE debt that would put MARTA's to shame (imagine paying a $15 dollar toll on 400 that entirely went to MARTA, you don't, but the MTA does that on their bridges). Also, they have a huge number of delays on a daily basis. I can't tell you the number of times I was late to work because the express train stopped running and we had to take local trains, or because the train was delayed sitting in the tunnel for 10 minutes, or because they were doing scheduled maintenance on the line every weekend. If you are going to consistently compare Atlanta to NYC, at least know what you are talking about. It's public transit, things happen. No system is going to run perfectly 100% of the time, regardless of if it's in NYC, Atlanta, or Chicago. I don't think I've ever been on a MARTA train that has stopped and has an announcement that "there is a delay due to train traffic", while on the MTA, that is almost guaranteed to happen during your trip. MARTA is nowhere close to perfect, but neither is the other system you think so highly of.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 PM

31,999 posts, read 36,614,978 times
Quote:
I like MARTA and ride the trains and buses whenever I can. And while I've occasionally experienced delays, on the whole they aren't common.

I will have to say that in many cases MARTA is not the fastest or easiest way to get around in Atlanta. That's especially true if you're not a regular rider and haven't worked out the schedules, the most efficient way to access the bus/rail stops, or how to handle the "last mile" issues. For the occasional rider, all that can add up to a lengthy and frustrating journey.

That is true of public transportation in many places. Yet I don't think it's really an argument against public transportation in general. One you understand the system and acclimate yourself to it, it can be a reasonable alternative.

I'm not saying everyone should do that -- in most cases, it's simply far more convenient to drive. But it can work if you are willing to put in the effort.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
The MTA is in MASSIVE debt that would put MARTA's to shame (imagine paying a $15 dollar toll on 400 that entirely went to MARTA, you don't, but the MTA does that on their bridges)
MTA is the largest holder of debt outside the US government. Metropolitan Transportation Authority (New York) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-02-2013, 03:33 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,839,643 times
Quote:
i don't buy it. what are you doing on the train at 1:56 PM when you've got class at one with me?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 PM

I Didnt go to Econ today due to important errands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta