Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 AM
JPD JPD started this thread

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times

Advertisements

Trombone player arrested outside of Braves game - CBS Atlanta 46

I think it's pretty clear that the police need to get some training on this. There's almost always someone playing music on Broad Street during the lunch hours, often right next to a group of cops, and almost always with a case out that people can throw money into. Bu they are never arrested or asked to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,463,406 times
The article says that musicians can play on the street, as long as they do not ask for money. A few minuets on Google indicates that unsolicited donations/tips are okay, though. I guess the question is whether or not an "open case" is considered a "solicitation" for money. If the guy had a sign up asking for tips, that might be one thing. However, the fact that an open case is present at his feet indicates that the instrument in the musician's hands is transported in said case, as far as I am concerned.

Lesson learned: leave your case at home, or in a vehicle. At the very least, close and latch it if you decide to lay it near your feet. If someone offers you money, refuse to take it. Better yet: put a sign at your feet stating "no tips, donations, tithes, salaries, etc are accepted, in accordance with Georgia Law."

It's a sad state of affairs.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM

259 posts, read 394,342 times
Once again, Atlanta doesn't want to play with the big boys. If we want to be seen as a big cultural and modern city we need to act like it and allow this kind of thing.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM

719 posts, read 1,333,680 times
This story is similar to what I heard on the news a few months back, where street vendors where forced to shut down during peak season for some stupid reason i cant even remember...But my point is it seems as though when people are doing things you typically see in a city the city puts a stop to it.

Last edited by coolieandre; 06-05-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
Once again, Atlanta doesn't want to play with the big boys. If we want to be seen as a big cultural and modern city we need to act like it and allow this kind of thing.
Well I hope we can be just like Chicago! Where police won't respond to routine calls because they don't have a large enough force. Or DC where they regularly don't have enough ambulances. They recently couldn't provide an ambulance when one of their own officers was down. (Maryland sent one)

Old 06-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Well I hope we can be just like Chicago! Where police won't respond to routine calls because they don't have a large enough force. Or DC where they regularly don't have enough ambulances. They recently couldn't provide an ambulance when one of their own officers was down. (Maryland sent one)
Not sure what this has to do with street performers or being vibrant and cultural.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:53 PM

93 posts, read 110,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
Of course. We all know that street performers are the #1 cause of a city's prosperity.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MARTAFan View Post
Of course. We all know that street performers are the #1 cause of a city's prosperity.
Your words not mine.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
I am tempted to summon my old geezer band together and set up on the sidewalk somewhere. We'll give the police a taste of some vintage R&B and see if they lock us up too.

At our age we don't care about that but we could probably raise more of a stink about it than these young fellows.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 AM
JPD JPD started this thread

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am tempted to summon my old geezer band together and set up on the sidewalk somewhere. We'll give the police a taste of some vintage R&B and see if they lock us up too.

At our age we don't care about that but we could probably raise more of a stink about it than these young fellows.
I said basically the same thing last night to my wife. If these arrests become a pattern, I wil do it and I know many others who would likely do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: