Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Unless she is savy, a little street smart, and do some research, avoid the area below where 85/75 meet(midtown, virgina highlands, inman area). I personally enjoy that area the most because it feels the most cityish, but you just need to be a bit smart in choosing the right place.

If she does not mind the killer traffic during rush hours, the northern perimiter area is nice (sandy springs, dunwoody). Buckhead area is good too and close to some good shops/restaurants/bar scene. Should be some decent places up peachtree north of the hospital.

Don't be tempted by the newish apartments along 85 north that is right next to the highway, they seem to have alot of crime. Also some of the inner city newish apartments developments can have there shares of thuggish looking folks due to section8 / low income requirements and petty crimes associated with that demographic(ie atlantic station, lindbergh station area)
You're trying to say that apartments that cost 1400+ a month at Atlantic Station has thuggish looking folks??? What?

You're basically saying avoid anything below Buckhead, despite the fact that this is by far the most interesting and exciting part of the city, not to say Atlanta is very exciting in the first place. Atlanta suburbanites make me laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
Vinings is the best best. Sandy Springs or Dunwoody would also work but the traffic over there is worse.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:52 PM

17 posts, read 21,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Maybe she should be doing the homework instead of you? This isn't your job. If you let her figure it out on her own, things will probably go more smoothly.
Thanks for the advice, however, she has certainly done her homework, and she has found out plenty. I am Dad so I am also doing my do diligence and we are both traveling to Atlanta tomorrow for the week, comparing notes, meeting with contacts and friends of friends, exploring as much of the area as we can, and visiting neighborhoods and sites. Since neither of us has ever been to Atlanta, except for a quick job interview for my daughter, we are trying to get the lay of the land quickly so that we can zero in on our search. Actually, she has selected about 23 apartments for us to visit and she has scheduled appointments for this week. We only have this week so the more info the better so that we can get a sense of things. As with all blogs, and all forums, you have a range of answers, and a range of complainers and haters, however, if you get enough input, you can start to get a sense of what is real. It is interesting in that we would search apartments, and the pictures look great. The Google street views looks great, yet, when you look at the reviews that residents post- they are by far and away mostly negative. now, I am sure that the ones who post the most are the ones who are most disgruntled, and that is why we want to reach out to different forums and friends to get, maybe another side, or at least help us to zero in on who to visit.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:56 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You're trying to say that apartments that cost 1400+ a month at Atlantic Station has thuggish looking folks??? What?

You're basically saying avoid anything below Buckhead, despite the fact that this is by far the most interesting and exciting part of the city, not to say Atlanta is very exciting in the first place. Atlanta suburbanites make me laugh.
Did you fail in reading the OP's request? Have you been to the AS apartments before?

Old 03-24-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My daughter lived in the apartments that you reference for three years. She never had a problem. The complex is called 1660 Peachtree, BTW, and over half the tenancy of the building is comprised of students of the neighboring Savannah College of Art and Design.
She now lives in the heart of Midtown (7th and Peachtree), and while I agree that good sense should be exerted by a female on her own my daughter moves about freely without problem. I have asked that if she goes out at night her boyfriend or a group be with her.
I was going to suggest that with your daughter's budget she might consider an older building, which tend to run cheaper. Colonial Homes Apartments are about 1/4 mile away from Piedmont and have always been popular with twentysomething professionals.
Excellent suggestions--- thank you. We'll check it out.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,386 times
If your daughter is moving out on her own from the suburbs into the city, she need to make an account on city data, and ask these questions herself. This is the problem with young people today their parents do everything for them. ugh.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
If your daughter is moving out on her own from the suburbs into the city, she need to make an account on city data, and ask these questions herself. This is the problem with young people today their parents do everything for them. ugh.
Im sure that your young adult children abide by your advice religiously.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 PM

421 posts, read 749,715 times
Some people are hating on someone having parents who care. Sorry if your mom and dad wasn't there for you after you turned 18, but that is what family does.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:03 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Putting down young people via online forums for no real reason at all... that is the problem with old people today.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Pretty Amazing comment here. It's a shame that you feel that way. I have raised three very independent young women who would be the first to tell you that much of the success in their lives is due to the fact that they were raised to be independent. However, this does not mean that they will not accept a helping hand from their old man, or anyone else, who is kind enough to give their time in an effort to help them out.

My daughter moving to Atlanta went to college on a full scholarship. Graduated from nursing school as the youngest in her class. And during this time she worked as a waitress five nights a week. She owns her car, pays for her phone, and insurance, and secured a job in Atlanta without any help from me. Actually when she was heading to Atlanta to interview for the Job, I was in the Netherlands visiting her sister who moved there to start a career there when jobs in the TV industry dried up here and she could not secure healthcare for her infant son who needed medical attention. Yes, I helped her for awhile by taking her and her family in for a few months while she secured something for herself in Holland. She was there half a year and in that time secured a job and is renting a lovely house. My youngest daughter is heading off to college with the advantage of being able to decide which one will offer her the most in scholarships. You see, she has a 4.0 average in her four years in high school. Oh, she also holds down two jobs, purchased her own car, pays her own cell phone bill and data plan, and performs in a touring choir, and dances in a dance troupe. She just came back from her senior trip to Disney where she paid for more than half and raised money for the other half.

I know what you are talking about with kids who have parents who do everything for them, but you certainly are not talking about my kids. Not that I would not, but I don't have to. My daughter did not expect my help, nor even ask for my help. I offered my help because I love her, and I am her dad, and if I can help in any way, I will. That's what families do. You really should not be so judgmental - or were you just thinking out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta