Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 PM

15 posts, read 23,559 times

Advertisements

I am a single 20 year old guy. Currently living in the Boston area and I am moving down to Buckhead Atlanta in June. I work for Starbucks and am planning on transferring to one down there. I also plan on finishing college down thee also. Im moving because I am so sick of New England weather and need a change in my life (your only young once right). I have been down there many times on trips but havnt lived outside of Boston. What are the adaptions people have to make when moving from the North to a southern city? and recommendations for places to hang out besides the obvious ones like Piedmont and stuff like that. Any other young people on this site that are down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 03:20 PM

Anyone....

Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Lived in Boston during college. Adaptations? Leave your goose down winter coat in Boston. Seriously, you'll be just fine. No adaptations to make. Like you would anywhere else, just be friendly and open minded. You'll find plenty of places to socialize and hang out in Buckhead and Midtown. Make friends with you soon-to-be new neighbors. They will likely welcome you and will likely be happy to give you lots of advice - requested or not!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Lived in Boston during college. Adaptations? Leave your goose down winter coat in Boston. Seriously, you'll be just fine. No adaptations to make. Like you would anywhere else, just be friendly and open minded. You'll find plenty of places to socialize and hang out in Buckhead and Midtown. Make friends with you soon-to-be new neighbors. They will likely welcome you and will likely be happy to give you lots of advice - requested or not!
Thanks im not really nervous just asking questions cause I'm young and moving a thousand miles away alone

Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Moved here from NY last year. You'll need to get use to the following stuff:

- People here fail at driving. They'll stop at blinking yellow lights. They will especially fail at driving when it's raining (even just sprinkles).
- If you have a thicker Boston accent, they'll hate you if you ever so much say anything negative. So just be nice and polite and try not to swear a lot. I had to learn a lot of that the hard way. A few people will love the accent but most will call you a Yankee and a few might even tell you to go back home. But no biggie, just be polite.
- They don't have awesome food like in most Northern cities. The only clam chowder they have down here is from Panera Bread. Which isn't exactly horrible but it's not like real New England clam chowder (I grew up in CT and my mother's from RI).
- Make sure you like to drink excessively if you want to fit in because that's basically all people our age do down here as in many places.
- The summer temperatures are hard to adjust to but you'll be wearing a T shirt and jeans and a light jacket (sometimes) during the winter. I prefer the heat over the snow though.
- Get use to being around a lot of African American people. It's not a bad thing at all, but there is obviously a much larger black population than Italian/Irish population that's popular in Boston and NY.
- The word "y'all" is used in normal conversation down here among everyone so try not to laugh out loud like I did when you first hear it being said seriously.
- Public transportation isn't as extensive and accessible as it is in Boston and NY. If you are in Buckhead there's a couple stops there but if you need to get to places like way outside the perimeter then you're going to have to drive.

These are a lot of random things I've had experiences with since I've been down here. If anything else comes to mind, I'll post it here. Atlanta's a cool city and I think you'll like it here.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Moved here from NY last year. You'll need to get use to the following stuff:

- People here fail at driving. They'll stop at blinking yellow lights. They will especially fail at driving when it's raining (even just sprinkles).
- If you have a thicker Boston accent, they'll hate you if you ever so much say anything negative. So just be nice and polite and try not to swear a lot. I had to learn a lot of that the hard way. A few people will love the accent but most will call you a Yankee and a few might even tell you to go back home. But no biggie, just be polite.
- They don't have awesome food like in most Northern cities. The only clam chowder they have down here is from Panera Bread. Which isn't exactly horrible but it's not like real New England clam chowder (I grew up in CT and my mother's from RI).
- Make sure you like to drink excessively if you want to fit in because that's basically all people our age do down here as in many places.
- The summer temperatures are hard to adjust to but you'll be wearing a T shirt and jeans and a light jacket (sometimes) during the winter. I prefer the heat over the snow though.
- Get use to being around a lot of African American people. It's not a bad thing at all, but there is obviously a much larger black population than Italian/Irish population that's popular in Boston and NY.
- The word "y'all" is used in normal conversation down here among everyone so try not to laugh out loud like I did when you first hear it being said seriously.
- Public transportation isn't as extensive and accessible as it is in Boston and NY. If you are in Buckhead there's a couple stops there but if you need to get to places like way outside the perimeter then you're going to have to drive.

These are a lot of random things I've had experiences with since I've been down here. If anything else comes to mind, I'll post it here. Atlanta's a cool city and I think you'll like it here.
Hahah yea I have a big bodton accent and swear a lot so I will work on that. I know that down south swearing isnt as commonly used as in boston

Old 03-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAndAffectionBoi View Post
Hahah yea I have a big bodton accent and swear a lot so I will work on that. I know that down south swearing isnt as commonly used as in boston
Yeah same for me. When I first moved here I accidentally dropped the F bomb at the bank and the teller looked like she was going to cry.

Oh and don't refer to women as "chicks". For some reason they think it's disrespectful.

I'm 20 as well so hopefully my insight will prove helpful. What Starbucks you gonna be working at?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah same for me. When I first moved here I accidentally dropped the F bomb at the bank and the teller looked like she was going to cry.

Oh and don't refer to women as "chicks". For some reason they think it's disrespectful.

I'm 20 as well so hopefully my insight will prove helpful. What Starbucks you gonna be working at?
Hahaha oh god. People up here say **** as often as they breath haha at least I do. Its weird cause I know when im down there visiting I never hear that word. And up here I here it all day from customers and everything in not an offensive way. And I know I said the word chick down there and a couple heads turned. And idk what starbucks yet. It depends on which one i can transfer to

Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM

Yeah man it's quite different from up north. Especially cities like NYC and Boston and Providence too. It's a good experience though. Really made me become a more well-rounded person I guess.

The reason I asked where you're working is because I work across the street from the Lenex Mall which has two Starbuck's in it so potentially we could meet up since I know you most likely won't know anyone down here and neither do I with the exception of co-workers.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah man it's quite different from up north. Especially cities like NYC and Boston and Providence too. It's a good experience though. Really made me become a more well-rounded person I guess.

The reason I asked where you're working is because I work across the street from the Lenex Mall which has two Starbuck's in it so potentially we could meet up since I know you most likely won't know anyone down here and neither do I with the exception of co-workers.
I wont be working at the ones in the mall cause those people are hired through the mall not starbucks. But I will be living right near the mall. And yea we could be up man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: